Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 12, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #11,671 of 48,562
Quote:
Good to to hear from ya Chico! I've been waiting for word from you, and "blah" is certainly a word
wink.gif

Lol

I was trying to type a post from my phone, but it was getting too frustrating to do and I just gave up. 
regular_smile .gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #11,672 of 48,562
Dumb HE400 question:

...I assume the HE400 drivers are symmetrical and you can plug the "L" and "R" cables into either driver without having to match it up with the headphone?

tongue_smile.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #11,673 of 48,562
Quote:
Dumb HE400 question:

...I assume the HE400 drivers are symmetrical and you can plug the "L" and "R" cables into either driver without having to match it up with the headphone?

tongue_smile.gif

Yes, it's completely symmetrical. That's why the headphone itself isn't labeled with any left or right indications. This means that you have to take a good look at the cable connectors to be sure you have them on the right way.

However, I do wish that they at least angled the cable connectors outwards a bit, as they do sometimes hit my shoulders when pointed straight down as they are.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #11,675 of 48,562
Yes, it's completely symmetrical. That's why the headphone itself isn't labeled with any left or right indications. This means that you have to take a good look at the cable connectors to be sure you have them on the right way.

However, I do wish that they at least angled the cable connectors outwards a bit, as they do sometimes hit my shoulders when pointed straight down as they are.

Lol, actually, they were. The hifiman logos starting wearing off (worst paint to use for text, ever), so I completely buffed out all the white text. :xf_eek:

Still, yes, they are symmetrical, so it doesn't matter which side you plug the cables in. The cables are labeled, so it's no problem.

How goes it, Chico?

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #11,676 of 48,562
Quote:
Lol, actually, they were. The hifiman logos starting wearing off (worst paint to use for text, ever), so I completely buffed out all the white text.
redface.gif

Still, yes, they are symmetrical, so it doesn't matter which side you plug the cables in. The cables are labeled, so it's no problem.

How goes it, Chico?

I finally got to spend some time with the HE400s you were kind enough to send out (I was house sitting for someone earlier so I wasn't around my audio equipment to listen).

Anyways, I did about an hour of listening/A-Bing and wrote up a couple paragraphs of notes and impressions.  The notes are all out of order though, I still need to do more listening, and I have to go to bed to get up early tommorow, so I'll have to wai until tomorrow to post about them.

Here is an exclusive sneak peak though
tongue_smile.gif
:
"...the build is very mechanical...feels like a DIYer built them in his garage..."
"The soundstage size and imaging are better than I expected..."
"It actually sort of reminds me of a mid point between the Q701 and DT990..."

Lol
...stay tuned for more later
tongue.gif

In other news, I officially have enough dough to buy the K702 anniversary.  So I might get an itchy (mouse) trigger finger and impulsively buy them "ahead of schedule"
very_evil_smiley.gif
...or, I might still  wait to audition them whenever you send out your next care package.  Either way, I still want to A-B them back to back with the Q's before either of them goes.  I will let you know.

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #11,678 of 48,562
Quote:

Lol

I was trying to type a post from my phone, but it was getting too frustrating to do and I just gave up. 
regular_smile%20.gif

I, on the other hand, typed this on an ergonomic keyboard.
The bad news: The good news means I was comfortable writing a lot.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-e12-mont-blanc/reviews/8449

Jus' a little sum'n sum'n for people who haven't read a detailed review in a while (which probably includes... nobody here, lol!)

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #11,680 of 48,562
Quote:
Looks like the only reviews are in that thread. Amazon doesn't even have a review yet. They also cost $199, so... they'd better be an improvement, as the AD700 costs only half as much.

if the comfort is improved, and now has substantial bass which is not obtrusive, and still retains it gigantic soundstage and detail-whoring capabillities, would it be worth it for $199?

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #11,681 of 48,562
I kinda want a pair of wireless portable headphones. Like wireless KSC75s, with a 5.8ghz base the size of a 3.5mm adapter, lol.

Hey Mad, I'm planning on getting the Beyer T1's which are semi-closed. Will I get the cabin pressure feel with them? Will I get it with semi-closed headphones (DT880, etc)?

They are semi-open. You shouldn't have a problem. The DT770, yes, they do have that pressure, especially the Pro models.

Honestly don't know why they label anything semi open or semi closed. It's closed or open, lol. As long as it's open, you wont get that annoying feeling.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #11,682 of 48,562
if the comfort is improved, and now has substantial bass which is not obtrusive, and still retains it gigantic soundstage and detail-whoring capabillities, would it be worth it for $199?

That's a lot of if's... AFAIK they really didn't change a ton between the AD700 & AD700X or AD900 & AD900X, besides the price, I think the A900 always had a touch more bass? (not $100's worth tho, considering the competition at that price range)

At least that's the early impression I got at another message board I frequent, so don't take my word on it, dunno if Head Fi or whomever has another take on it... The X variants came out months ago tho, they aren't particularly recent, I'd be surprised if there really aren't more impressions on them out there by now.

I kinda want a pair of wireless portable headphones. Like wireless KSC75s, with a 5.8ghz base the size of a 3.5mm adapter, lol.

BT has improved a lot IMO, if the source device and receiver are good enough I really don't think you miss out on much when using it for portable use... Something like a Sony MW600 is barely larger than a pen cap and you can use it with nearly any portable hp. Removable cables or creative recabling can make it sleeker.

I tried out a newer apt-X BT adapter last year (HTC's) and could honestly not tell the difference between it and the regular 2.0 / SBC adapter I had (a Miccus)... Though admittedly that comparison was mainly with speakers (some powered Samsons and my car's). Not sure how either would fare with my Koss clips or M-80 (or vs the MW600 that I didn't have at the time for that matter).

5.8Ghz or some proprietary lossless codec on another band would be better for sure but I imagine things like that are considerably more power hungry so you need room for a much larger battery than with BT devices (where power efficiency has been a point of emphasis for years). Battery size/tech (or the lack of improvements there) is really what holds all this back.

IMO most wireless headphones of any kind tend to be grossly overpriced too (for what they are, if you ignore wireless), particularly the better ones. Aything wireless shouldn't jack up the price of a headphone by 2-5x when Wifi and BT USB adapters cost <$15...

It's not like engineering them to run off an integrated power source is a new concept either, when it's been done with NC for so long.

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #11,683 of 48,562
Quote:
gAHOf.jpg

So this is my mixamp hooked up to my mstage.

Here's how I have it setup:
Xbox/PS3/PC -> HDMI cables -> HDMI Splitter -> Harman Kardon AVR-247 -> Optical passthru -> Mixamp -> Startech HeadSET splitter -> 3.5mm stereo to 2x RCA -> mstage -> headphones

When I don't need chat when I'm playing consoles, I just plug my headphones directly into the receiver. When I'm playing PC games or just want to listen to music I have an Asus U1 hooked up to the mstage to supply it with DH. Then I have some Monitor Audio speakers and a carver sub set up for when volume is of no concern.

DANG old post but that's a nice set up xD me jelly

In edition I'd love to demo some dt 990s :O mad you still got 3 pairs xD

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #11,684 of 48,562

can't see it in that picture but i got a new marantz receiver too.  sr5006 to go with my new kef xq speakers
hope to get a new headphone soon to try in the marantz

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #11,685 of 48,562
Very nice Doc. I am so jealous of you guys that can use HT systems with these beautiful speakers. I wonder if I would have ever gotten into headphones if I didn't move into this strata'd hell hole. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back