Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #11,641 of 48,566
I understand all of the modding I can do with the AD700 to get it to fit right. I'm really just not happy with that path. When there's an overwhelmingly large and widespread issue that's documented such as the fit issue with a particular headphone, that's an issue with a product that should be addressed by the manufacturer and not the user. That's just my opinion. I know not everyone will share it. I think I may be keeping them to toy around with, but I definitely want to move onto something that's just better for me.

With moving onto something like the K701 or Q701, I'm not too concerned about making sure I give it the power it deserves. I have a FiiO E09k being shipped to me as we speak. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it can get the job done.

My more concerning question deals with the closed back design. Correct me if I'm misunderstanding this. It sounds like, in general, you don't get as large of a soundstage as you would with something that's open. So in general, a closed-back wont be as good for competitive gaming. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, but that's generally the case? I mean other than the pros of less noise leaking in and out of the headphones, I'm not really understanding why closed-back cans are worth buying over open cans.

Sorry if I'm muddying the questions together or are simply asking stupid ones, but I promise you I'm just trying to gain an understanding.

No need to be sorry :)
I agree Audio Technica ought to address the design issue of fit. IMO, it would be fixed if they just allowed the earcups to pivot up and down, even just a little. However, since you already HAVE an AD700, you might as well try to make it fit nice, especially since it's pretty easy?

The K701 headphones & variants are semi-open, mostly open headphones. They are famous for their soundstage. The closed K550 trades some soundstage in order to try and cut some external sound from coming in and music from leaking out. Some closed headphones can resonate and increase bass pressure, which some people really like, though I don't know if the K550 has "more bass" than the Q701. The other factor is some people prefer the styling. Anyway, I'd overall still recommend the open models anyway for competitive gaming :wink:

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #11,642 of 48,566
I didn't find the K550 to have any bass worth mentioning. Well, I'm just not a fan of them, at all. But it wasnt in a controlled environment.

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #11,643 of 48,566
I didn't find the K550 to have any bass worth mentioning. Well, I'm just not a fan of them, at all. But it wasnt in a controlled environment.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #11,644 of 48,566
Quote:
No need to be sorry
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree Audio Technica ought to address the design issue of fit. IMO, it would be fixed if they just allowed the earcups to pivot up and down, even just a little. However, since you already HAVE an AD700, you might as well try to make it fit nice, especially since it's pretty easy?

The K701 headphones & variants are semi-open, mostly open headphones. They are famous for their soundstage. The closed K550 trades some soundstage in order to try and cut some external sound from coming in and music from leaking out. Some closed headphones can resonate and increase bass pressure, which some people really like, though I don't know if the K550 has "more bass" than the Q701. The other factor is some people prefer the styling. Anyway, I'd overall still recommend the open models anyway for competitive gaming
wink.gif

Sounds good. I'll be sticking with them for at least a little while longer with some of the mods explained out there. I think I'll be passing up the K550 altogether and just going with the K702 in time. Have they and the K701 been discontinued or something? I don't see any existence of them on the US AKG site.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #11,645 of 48,566
Hey, just making sure, I think I may have forgotten. Console game/chat mixing... my options? Steelseries, SLYR mixer, and Mixamp? I can't seem to find the SLYR mixer alone.

Do wish someone would take my receiver off mah hands! It's actually pretty great! I didn't think to lower DSP setting. That helps with any of the sound that I didn't like. I just need some cashhh.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #11,646 of 48,566
Sounds good. I'll be sticking with them for at least a little while longer with some of the mods explained out there. I think I'll be passing up the K550 altogether and just going with the K702 in time. Have they and the K701 been discontinued or something? I don't see any existence of them on the US AKG site.

I "think" AKG replaced the k701 with the K702, but both are still pretty readily available.

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #11,647 of 48,566
Quote:
I "think" AKG replaced the k701 with the K702, but both are still pretty readily available.

That's my understanding with their availability as well. So strange that the only thing on the US site is the K702 Anniversary Editions. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #11,648 of 48,566
First time poster here.

The mic on my almost 4 year old TB X1 finally died last week so I’m now in the market for a new headset.  I stumbled on this thread by accident and it looks like it’s going to save me from doing something really stupid with my money and improve my game. 

As far as virtual surround sound devices go I’ve narrowed it down to the original DSS and the Mixamp.  I’m sure I’ll end up on the Mixamp because I don’t want to give up chat volume control but nothing is finalized yet.  My questions are assuming I buy a used device and it doesn’t come with cables what lengths do I need (optical and power)?  I play on xbox.  Also, chat control will move from the controller to the mixamp correct?         

As for the headsets I’m pretty sure I’m going with the AD700 but if someone can point out a good reason or price for the PC360 I’d consider it.  The idea of giving up the fixed mic doesn’t sit well but the ModMic looks like it’ll work.  The headset will be used almost exclusively for gaming (fps). 

Thanks in advance guys and thanks to Mad Lust for setting this all up. 

Matt

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #11,649 of 48,566
Quote:

I thought the Q701 replaced the K701 as their flagship "home hi-fi" headphone.  AFAIK the K702 was always a separate "studio" model aimed at audio professionals with features like "detachable mini-xlr cable", etc. 

I think they just silently removed the K701 off their websites in favor the of Q701 or K702.  The Q701 can be found on their "personal audio" website, while the K702s are over on their "professional audio" website. I don't see the K701 listed on any of their sites.

The limited edition K702 65th anniversary is exactly what it sounds like.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #11,650 of 48,566
Just letting anyone interested I've decided to get out of the "competitive" gaming scene, for a bunch of reasons. If anyone is interested I have a pc360 and astro mixamp for sale. No intention on derailing the thread, I'm just letting you guys know if you need a real good set up for a decent price. I didn't know they discontinued the pc360's, they were probably the most desired headset in the mlg community for the last year or two.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #11,651 of 48,566
Quote:
Just letting anyone interested I've decided to get out of the "competitive" gaming scene, for a bunch of reasons. If anyone is interested I have a pc360 and astro mixamp for sale. No intention on derailing the thread, I'm just letting you guys know if you need a real good set up for a decent price. I didn't know they discontinued the pc360's, they were probably the most desired headset in the mlg community for the last year or two.

Which variant of the Mixamp? There's at least three of them out there right now, as documented earlier in this thread.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #11,652 of 48,566
I think 2010 wired version, I bought it literally a week after the 5.2 wireless one came out and I didn't want wireless. I used it with the xbox 360 but I'm almost certain you can use it with the ps3 since the provided instructions have ps3 present. Mixamp worked flawlessly for me, a completely reliable product. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #11,653 of 48,566
to any who has bought the cheap DX clip-on mic:  have you had any problems getting it to work on the 360?  I bought a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter so I can plug it into my 360 controller.  What happens in the mic turns on and off continuously and makes this noise (which I hear when I previewed a voice message) everytime it shows the mic symbol.  This is most likely not a defective mic as I bought 2, and both do the same thing.  any ideas?

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #11,654 of 48,566
First time poster here.
As far as virtual surround sound devices go I’ve narrowed it down to the original DSS and the Mixamp.  I’m sure I’ll end up on the Mixamp because I don’t want to give up chat volume control but nothing is finalized yet.  My questions are assuming I buy a used device and it doesn’t come with cables what lengths do I need (optical and power)?  I play on xbox.  Also, chat control will move from the controller to the mixamp correct?

The cables that you need to set up the mixamp with a xbox are: a mini usb (type b) for power, an optical cable (either TOS or mini depending on which mixamp you buy), 2.5mm male to 2.5mm male cable for chat, and a 4 pole 3.5 mm y-splitter for the headphone/mic input (1 male to 2 female). Of course it would be easiest to just to make sure that the factory cables are included before you purchase.

Yes, the smaller knob on the mixamp varies the level between game sound and incoming chat volume.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #11,655 of 48,566
I'm not sure this has been posted before cause there's so much to read here

There's been a new version of the ad700, called the ad700x.it might solve the comfort issues the original had, at least the reviews say so.

I've been searching all over the web for reviews and only found some for the ad900x on this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631998/audio-technica-updates-their-open-headphones-ad-series-ad2000x-ad1000x-ad900x-ad700x-and-ad500x

The reviews thus far are really positive, so im wondering if anyone's gonna get it. Maybe I'll just get one to review here

I also use pc and I'm actually planning on getting a dedicated sound card with it

( btw, I don't have a ad700 to compare so I'm really hoping someone here does for comparison)

I also don't have gaming headphones. Only Sony iems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back