Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 31, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #11,476 of 48,562
If you love the DT990, the Pro 900 is the closest closed alternative of it.

My Mixamp came in today....I think. Wow, it came with a VEERY long, thick gold plated USB cable. Was that standard on the 2011 Mixamp Pros? That's the best USB cab;e I've seen yet. Even better than the long one I've had for years.

edit: WOW. I just maxed out the volume with the Annie. ZERO hiss.

What, Astro? What happened?

If you don't want a bulky receiver, and want the lowest noise... find a Mixamp Pro that isn't a 2013 Edition. Of course, it's not without it's downside. The one I have has a very noisy volume pot (like the noisiest I've ever heard on any device ever) when adjusting volume, as well as a noticeable channel imbalance up to about 30% of the volume pot, which is ridiculous.

The seller didn't ever mention this... of course. I'm gonna have to take it up with Ebay, because it's staggering how loud the noise is.

Well, I could just max out the volume and use the voice knob to control volume, it'd work fine, but the resale value...

Still, I would mainly attach it to my Compass 2 anyways, so the volume would stay maxed regardless.

I just can't believe how quiet the Mixamp is. A far cry from the noisy 2013 and 5.8.

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #11,479 of 48,562
I wonder what these sound like on the Koss drivers.  Probably increase the bass but may also butcher the soundstage.  They look a little uncomfortable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Ear-pad-earpad-cushion-Koss-portapro-pp-Storm-Edition-dj-headphones-/170967627438?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item27ce76f6ae&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:US:101

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #11,481 of 48,562
Also a mention on the HD558, maybe its just halo has alot going on audio wise, but on certain maps, they have the tendency to pick up too much background noise which sometimes makes them a bit bassy and harder for competitive nature to use. But as I said it might just be certain loud maps. I have to use them on COD before I can fully judge

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #11,483 of 48,562
Quote:
BetaWolf,
<snip>
In the end though, every review is a mix of personal taste, personal experience, and a mixture of both to analyze and draw conclusions. You have to separate these parts out in your mind. You also have to spend some time listening to various headphones/speakers to learn what characteristics appeal most to your tastes. Once you start gaining an understanding of all that, then you can read almost any detailed review and sort out how it fits your taste. Joyfully, sometimes you might hear something unexpected that will blow you (and your previous assumptions) away!

biggrin.gif

Let me start by thanking you again for this advice. The main problem I am having right now is that I'm only going to buy one set of headphones. I'm not looking to get into the whole collecting/comparing hobby. I can only buy one full-sized set of headphones, one amp, and one soundcard for at least the next three years. This set is for a mix of gaming and music, so I'm trying to make sure there's no science behind the whole "bass" thing, and that it's just personal preference. My purchase has to count. I'm currently waiting on the Sound Blaster ZxR, buying a TBD amp, and choosing between the Sennheiser HD 598 and the AKG K702 (non-anniversary edition). If anyone has personal experience with these two, I'd love to hear how they compare.

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #11,484 of 48,562
And I'm just saying we can only state general differences (already covered in the guide, also the Sennheiser PC360 is basically a headset version of the 598HD), and then say which we think is better based on personal preference. To be honest, if you DON'T have anything audiophile quality to compare, then Either will impress you greatly. I personally would again pick the AKG if I similarly had little headphone experience, because even with hats I don't like tight things on my head (or ears), but your mileage still may vary from mine. However, I highly suggest you compare the pricing for the K702 vs the newer Q701, I found the Q's to be significantly less expensive.

I use my Q701 for everything, they also beat our HTIB for watching movies, but they display a greater charm while listening to my music than I experience with gaming. Again, this is my opinion, but competitive gaming I feel like I'm just being more tactical and everything sounds super-clear, but occasionally during first-playthroughs of singleplayer and often during music the sound just stones me and sends delightful shivers up my spine. To an extent the magic fades as we learn what to expect, but I still have "moments" with fresh material and as I rediscover my music library since I got my Q's last... uh... Mad, was it June or May I got the Q's?

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #11,485 of 48,562
Quote:
Thx Hailin!

Oh I will try so people can tell me I am wrong.

Bass - He400
Mids - Annies
Treble - for me HE400 lots are going to say Annies so it is a win win for everyone.
Imaging - He400
Soundstage - Annies barely it is wide but doesn't have the depth of the HE400.

Gaming - Annies grrrr pains me to admit that.
Music - HE400
Movies - Don't know haven't watched any with either so I am going to say DT990 to be different.

Annies are more comfortable to if you don't have the jaw line issue. The HE400s are just to heavy to be more comfortable unless you have the neck of a body builder.
Honestly both headphones I find I have to adjust all the time. My Beyers beat them both hands down. My KSC75/35s even more.

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #11,486 of 48,562
Which maps? The only thing about the sound design that stood out as annoying for me (besides the in-game volume control) is how loud the warthogs' engines are.

The worst that I remember is adrift because the wind outside mostly but other noises on it were overpowering as well. I'll have to write down the maps that bothered me next time so I remember

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #11,487 of 48,562
So it seems that the receiver does use DH room 2 like the Mixamp. Comparing them directly, they sound similar.

One odd thing I noticed. Despite my PS2 being hooked up via toslink, it isn't doing Pro Logic II (headphone version) on the receiver, but does it just fine on the Mixamp. Ah well. A shame though.

BTW, the Mixamp Pro does hiss with the KSC75, but it's very minute, and you'd destroy your ears way before the hiss is even audible past microscopic levels. With something like the Annie, the hiss isn't even there.

Contemplating returning it to Ebay due to the very obvious defects. I'll see about recording it. Its very, very loud (the volume knob distortion), and there is a point early in tbe knob where the volume spikes up on one side then gets quite and evens out. It's so weird.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #11,488 of 48,562
Quote:
So it seems that the receiver does use DH room 2 like the Mixamp. Comparing them directly, they sound similar.

One odd thing I noticed. Despite my PS2 being hooked up via toslink, it isn't doing Pro Logic II (headphone version) on the receiver, but does it just fine on the Mixamp. Ah well. A shame though.

BTW, the Mixamp Pro does hiss with the KSC75, but it's very minute, and you'd destroy your ears way before the hiss is even audible past microscopic levels. With something like the Annie, the hiss isn't even there.

Contemplating returning it to Ebay due to the very obvious defects. I'll see about recording it. Its very, very loud (the volume knob distortion), and there is a point early in tbe knob where the volume spikes up on one side then gets quite and evens out. It's so weird.

This actually sounds kinda similar to my Mixamp (think it's the 2010 version? doesn't feature the ability to send sound over usb) though either yours is muuuuuuch worse or I'm just far too tolerant having used the thing for years. I definitely get a channel imbalance up until roughly 30% of the volume limit (left side is MUCH louder than the right and then it evens out) but seeing as I rarely go below that point it's not an issue for me. As for the distortion, I get a bit of a static like sound whenever I adjust the larger volume pot (ie the one that controls overall volume, not the chat/game balance dial), it's definitely audible over whatever I'm listening to but again: I don't adjust the volume on a regular basis so it doesn't bother me too much.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #11,489 of 48,562

Do you have a verdict on receiver hp jack vs mixamp + amp? Soundstage size in particular?

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #11,490 of 48,562
My long quest for perfection, lands me on the following:  AH-D7000 is the untouchable for gaming and movie watching.

It will put you right in the middle of actions. I have K702 Anni, (with all its unbeatable sounstage), and HE-500 (with all its sonic purity), both will not give you the wanted immersion as the  one you can get from D7000 .  

However, D7000 is no match with HE-500 when it comes to vocal and string instruments.   Both are the perfect combination for gaming and music listing, adding K702 Anni in the middle as a flavor enhancement :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back