Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 2, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #11,493 of 48,562
Hey guys,

Looking for a great pair of headphones that match my needs: 60% gaming (mostly RPG's and MMO's, some BF3), 30% music (electronic: trance, house, dubstep, DnB), and 10% movies. 

The main things I'm looking for are incredible sound quality, the right amount of bass for a mix of gaming/electronic music, and comfort for long lasting gaming sessions. I have narrowed down my search to Ultrasone 550/750/2500 Pro and the Beyer 880 Pro. I was looking at the AD700, but it seems to lack the right amount of bass. I am not a basshead, but I do like it to have a moderate amount. 

Are any of the headphones I listed good for listening to electronic music and being immersed in movies and games?

Also, I game with my laptop and my desktop, so I plan on getting a Xonar sound card for my desktop, and a Xonar U3 (usb sound card) or external DAC for my laptop. I will not be buying an amp so I guess I'm limited to the 32 ohm versions of the 880. 

For my needs, which headphone and equipment for it would you recommend? If you recommend something that I have not listed please say so!  Any suggestions please? Thank you :)

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #11,494 of 48,562
Quote:
Hey guys,

Looking for a great pair of headphones that match my needs: 60% gaming (mostly RPG's and MMO's, some BF3), 30% music (electronic: trance, house, dubstep, DnB), and 10% movies. 

The main things I'm looking for are incredible sound quality, the right amount of bass for a mix of gaming/electronic music, and comfort for long lasting gaming sessions. I have narrowed down my search to Ultrasone 550/750/2500 Pro and the Beyer 880 Pro. I was looking at the AD700, but it seems to lack the right amount of bass. I am not a basshead, but I do like it to have a moderate amount. 

Are any of the headphones I listed good for listening to electronic music and being immersed in movies and games?

Also, I game with my laptop and my desktop, so I plan on getting a Xonar sound card for my desktop, and a Xonar U3 (usb sound card) or external DAC for my laptop. I will not be buying an amp so I guess I'm limited to the 32 ohm versions of the 880. 

For my needs, which headphone and equipment for it would you recommend? If you recommend something that I have not listed please say so!  Any suggestions please? Thank you :)

Beyerdynamic DT990 is definitely a contender for what you are looking for. You could add it to your list.

Well back to the drawing board with me. As much as I loved the HE400 sound they are just to heavy for me to wear for long periods. 

So now I am back to doing some fun reading and researching while switching between the CALs and KSC75 for the time being till I come up with my next great expense. LOL! 

Comfort I know now is going to have to be key and ear pads around the size of the DT990. Might just save up for the T1, god who knows. That is part of the excitement right?!

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #11,495 of 48,562
Hey guys,

Looking for a great pair of headphones that match my needs: 60%
gaming (mostly RPG's and MMO's, some BF3), 30% music (electronic: trance, house, dubstep, DnB), and 10% movies. 

The main things I'm looking for are incredible sound quality, the right amount of bass for a mix of gaming/electronic music, and comfort for long lasting gaming sessions. 
I have narrowed down my search to 
Ultrasone 550/750/2500 Pro and the Beyer 880 Pro. 
I was looking at the AD700, but it seems to lack the right amount of bass. I am not a basshead, but I do like it to have a moderate amount. 

The 32ohm Beyers are even harder to drive than the 250ohm, so avoid any of the Beyers if not buying an amp, as it'd just be a waste of money and potential.

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #11,496 of 48,562
Hey Mad Lust Envy,

Thanks for the heads up. Well how about this. Out of the ones I specified, and the DT 990 Pro, which one would you recommend to me the most for my needs?

I was under the impression that I would have to get a $200+ full size amp for these kind of headphones, but I just noticed that DAC's also drive headphones as well. I had no idea DAC's can act as sound cards and headphone amps, I thought they were two different things. So I won't need a sound card if I get a DAC, correct? Only caveat is that DAC's from what I can see don't have the 5.1/7.1 surround, which would be nice for gaming.  Sorry total newbie moment.

If there is an external USB DAC that acts like a sound card as well as a headphone amp and that is relatively inexpensive, I'll get that! Also portability is a must, so that means I'm looking at something like the FiiO E07k. But is that enough to power the Beyers or Ultrasones?

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #11,497 of 48,562
Umm, Dacs and amps are two separate things. Just that there are units that have both, like the E17. Something like the ODAC for example, can't drive headphones.

The E07k is a fairly weak dac/amp, and definitely not on par for what5 is necessary for the Beyers, other than the DT770 Pro 80.

You dont need to spend that much. 100 dollar amps like the E9k and Schiit Magni have plenty of power for 250ohm headphones.

And yes, audio DACs are basically external soundcards. No real reason to get both a soundcard and an external DAC, unless you wanna eek out a little more perfromance an external dac gives to audio, but not worthwhile for gaming. Again, check NamelessPFG's thread about soundcards and the like.

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #11,498 of 48,562
Quote:
Umm, Dacs and amps are two separate things. Just that there are units that have both, like the E17. Something like the ODAC for example, can't drive headphones.

The E07k is a fairly weak dac/amp, and definitely not on par for what5 is necessary for the Beyers, other than the DT770 Pro 80.

You dont need to spend that much. 100 dollar amps like the E9k and Schiit Magni have plenty of power for 250ohm headphones.

And yes, audio DACs are basically external soundcards. No real reason to get both a soundcard and an external DAC, unless you wanna eek out a little more perfromance an external dac gives to audio, but not worthwhile for gaming. Again, check NamelessPFG's thread about soundcards and the like.

Okay will do! Lastly please if you could tell me out of all the headphones I listed the one you recommend most for gaming/electronic music. Putting if I need an amp aside. Thanks so much!! :)

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #11,499 of 48,562
The DT880 would be a solid choice as a solid all rounder, and if FPS isn't top priority. DT990 Pro if you need more bass.

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #11,501 of 48,562
"AH-D7000 is the untouchable for gaming and movie watching."

totally agree.

I said as such ages ago. :D

They are my fave headphones for MANY reasons, gaming being a large reason. I miss them, every day.

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #11,502 of 48,562
http://www.head-fi.org/t/649085/with-funai-philips-headphones-and-other-audio-products-will-continue

Quote:
Last year, at CES 2012, Philips launched several outstanding headphones, and recently upped their game further with the Fidelio X1 (pictured), which is a headphone I really dig.

The other day, it was announced that Funai is acquiring Philips' audio-visual consumer electronics business (also known as Philips' "Lifestyle Entertainment" business), with the stated aim of both companies to maintain the PHILIPS brand

Q: Who will design the new products?
A: As part of the acquisition, we hope to retain the design staff located in Hong Kong.

Long story short, as I understand it, the consumers shouldn't notice anything's changed. There's a desire to keep the Philips team in place post-transition, and to keep making products under the Philips brand.

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #11,503 of 48,562
Quote:
Hey guys,

Is there any reason you didn't consider the HiFiMan HE-400?

It's surprisingly forgiving of underpowered sources, and has bass done right: that is, punchy, cinematic bass whenever the source calls for it, but only when the source calls for it, thus not exaggerating the bass when it shouldn't be.

Also, it's surprisingly comfortable, even over the long term.

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #11,504 of 48,562
Quote:
I said as such ages ago.
biggrin.gif

yes, and for that I got mine. you were right about them. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #11,505 of 48,562
The only fly in the ointment, of course, is the pleather earpads. That, and the decreasing availability and price:performance when you consider other amazing headphones at cheaper prices. Of course, there will be some for whom pleather is fine long-term (Canadians? Norwegians?), and that little bit of seasoning offered by a summit-Fi headphone will mean everything to some.

If I was going all-out, no money or convenience barriers considered, I'd first look at a STAX setup. Might be just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back