Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 2, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #10,306 of 48,562
Quote:

Add padding.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/165#post_8047703
http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/1755#post_8714977

Thanksss.
Quote:

SoAmusing should so PM you about that.  TBH, I don't notice the bumps most of the time.

I didn't even understand what he was talking about.

Quote:
Like! Hahahaha!
I decided to go bare-banded for some reason today. I felt like, maybe the headband adjusted better and the earpads didn't slowly slide deeper down over my head like when I wear my baby seat wraps over it, but after an hour I just put the wrap back on :k701: I only need one wrap though, don't know what to do with the extra...

Huh?
Quote:
What's wrong with the bumps?  It's ribbed for your pleasure.

Gooooooood one.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #10,307 of 48,562
What amp/dac combo would you recommend for a q701? I've seen magni/modi and o2 mentioned a couple times but I want to get the dsp from my soundcard (claro halo) which has an spdif out. Is it possible to route the dsp'd sound into a usb dac like the modi or odac? If not what would be a good spdif dac in that intro price range? Is an external dac even worth it I've already got a $150 soundcard? I'm at least pretty sure this soundcard is not driving my q701s too their potential because my old, easily driven, hd595's sound noticably better on some recordings. Not soundstage wise, but like the vocals aren't quite as brilliant sometimes?. On a side note I once rigged my hd595s with an old pas-2 tube preamp, which although far from ideal (heh), I oddly enjoyed it and from that I suspect I might also enjoy an actual headphone tube amp. Are intro headphone tube amps (like under 300) even worth getting? Any input would be nice.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #10,309 of 48,562
Quote:

There ain't nothing wrong..........with a little bump 'n grind.

That's what's up. I heard someone recommend the Ultrasone HFi2400 over the Q701s as being able to do every single thing better than the Q701 at the same price. Say whattt?

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #10,310 of 48,562
Thanksss.
Huh?
Gooooooood one.

I covered the headband of my Q701 with seatbelt covers/wraps made for babies. Not sure what's hard to understand about that... It's just something soft and extra-cushiony to wrap over the headbands and bumps.
I'd give you my spare if you lived nearby, but they're cheap enough that it wouldn't be worth the postage to mail them. Just go to a Toys "R" Us or something and look for seatbelt covers or wraps in the baby section.

Some of those rocking chairs looked like a lot of fun. Mostly I was impressed with how overwrought many baby products are.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #10,311 of 48,562
Quote:
I covered the headband of my Q701 with seatbelt covers/wraps made for babies. Not sure what's hard to understand about that... It's just something soft and extra-cushiony to wrap over the headbands and bumps.
I'd give you my spare if you lived nearby, but they're cheap enough that it wouldn't be worth the postage to mail them. Just go to a Toys "R" Us or something and look for seatbelt covers or wraps in the baby section.
Some of those rocking chairs looked like a lot of fun. Mostly I was impressed with how overwrought many baby products are.

It was about another part. I don't care though. That's pretty cool actually, lol. Ah, well thank you. Great info! I'm returning these, but now leaning towards the Beyerdynamic DT990 premium. :D About 30% are not ideal for the S-logic I found out.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #10,312 of 48,562
Hello everyone, I just created this account to ask you guys this:

Which one is better in sound quality Creative Aurvana Live! or Skullcandy SLYR? And how's Skullcandy SLYR's mic quality?

I have my own mic (Samson meteor) but I'm just wondering.

Regards :)

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #10,313 of 48,562
The CAL is more refined, but I prefer the sound signature on the SLYR. The CAL has a warmer, more relaxed sound signature, and can come off a bit too thick for competitive gaming, while the SLYR maintains a better balance for all around.

I didn't have any issues with the SLYR's mic, but I'm not very experienced when it comes to mic quality.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #10,314 of 48,562
Quote:

I heard someone recommend the Ultrasone HFi2400 over the Q701s as being able to do every single thing better than the Q701 at the same price. Say whattt?

I've seen one guy say that, and it's probably the same person you're thinking of.  He also said the Q701's soundstage and imaging was garbage.  Hmm....I'm just a little bit skeptical.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #10,315 of 48,562
That sounds like a very skewed comparison. Not objective at all.

If you're gonna get a headphone just becauss of one person's opinions, you're making a mistake. You need to find a general consensus, as well as see objective opinions on the headphones. We all have different tastes, but you can at least see is more in tune with what you want in a headphone.

My guide is based off personal preference, but I try my best to give the good and the bad about each can.

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #10,316 of 48,562
Quote:

I've seen one guy say that, and it's probably the same person you're thinking of.  He also said the Q701's soundstage and imaging was garbage.  Hmm....I'm just a little bit skeptical.

That's right. I think I saw another say that in the same thread where you replied. It is the same person I'm sure. Ha, it's not. I know that from experience. I edited my post once again. I'm probably going with the Beyerdynamic DT990 premium headphones.
Quote:
That sounds like a very skewed comparison. Not objective at all.
If you're gonna get a headphone just becauss of one person's opinions, you're making a mistake. You need to find a general consensus, as well as see objective opinions on the headphones. We all have different tastes, but you can at least see is more in tune with what you want in a headphone.
My guide is based off personal preference, but I try my best to give the good and the bad about each can.

Yeah, I agree that it does. Nah, I'm not. I just did some more research. No worries. I know. Thank you for the guidance :) Hey, the Yamaha RX-A710 should be plenty enough to drive even the 600ohm version right?

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #10,318 of 48,562
Quote:
The CAL is more refined, but I prefer the sound signature on the SLYR. The CAL has a warmer, more relaxed sound signature, and can come off a bit too thick for competitive gaming, while the SLYR maintains a better balance for all around.
I didn't have any issues with the SLYR's mic, but I'm not very experienced when it comes to mic quality.

Thank you for your answer! I'd like to ask you one more thing, which of those would you say is more comfy for long gaming sessions?

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #10,319 of 48,562
The SLYR.

The CAL is comfy, but it has pleather pads, and they aren't very deep. For some people, they crush the ears.

The SLYR also isn't exactly fullsized, but I feel that if you work the pads a bit, you can fit your ears in them, and they will be over ear. They also have very dense velours, almost like memory foam.

I love both in terms of comfort, but the Slyr has the edge for using velour, and not pleather.

Make no mistake, the CAL is a better sounding headphone overall, but they don't work for gaming as well as the SLYR, and the SLYR's tonal balance is better suited for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back