Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 1, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #10,291 of 48,568
Mad, the clear solution would be to put your amp up for sale, and ask to borrow an amp until the Compass arrives. Assuming you wouldn't be borrowing for too long, I have no idea how long Audio GD takes to send an amp after purchase. Worst comes to worst, you can survive on just the Mixamp's amp for a little while, and the arrival of your new amp will (hopefully) feel that much more like you've opened the gateways to heaven :)

I might have to sell my Yamaha receiver soon, I'm strapped for cash and it's making me antsy to have $200 invested in perfectly good equipment that has been banished back to it's retail box just because I don't have space to set it up in my room. I'm not as good at selling stuff as you, Mad, I bet you would have an easier time selling the Recon3D than Nameless :wink:

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #10,292 of 48,568
Hey, guys! I currently own some ATH-M50 headphones coupled with a FiiO E7 DAC, I don't have any virtual surround capabilities. These headphones suits me very well for the everyday listening, but I was looking into getting more audio quality when gaming. So after reading this guide I thought about buying the Philips SHP2500 headphones, since it has a higher gaming rate than my M50 and fits my tight budget. My question is: Is it worth to buy this headphone for gaming? Even if I don't have any surround sound? Or I won't notice much of a difference compared to the M50s? Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, I also own some Porta-Pro's, I don't know how they rate in gaming though.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #10,293 of 48,568
Anybody have any recommendations for a portable amp to use with a future Android phone? It looks like octa-cores are coming to mobile phones O.o so maybe no need for an amp? Samsung will have their 1080p Amoled screens coming out sometime this year, so that's when I intend to buy. I'd like something as close to reference/neutral quality as possible.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #10,294 of 48,568
Hey, guys! I currently own some ATH-M50 headphones coupled with a FiiO E7 DAC, I don't have any virtual surround capabilities. These headphones suits me very well for the everyday listening, but I was looking into getting more audio quality when gaming. So after reading this guide I thought about buying the [COLOR=FF4400]Philips SHP2500[/COLOR]
ir

headphones, since it has a higher gaming rate than my M50 and fits my tight budget. My question is: Is it worth to buy this headphone for gaming? Even if I don't have any surround sound? Or I won't notice much of a difference compared to the M50s? Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, I also own some Porta-Pro's, I don't know how they rate in gaming though.

I have mentioned countless times, the scores are not to compare directly with one another. They are scores based on the headphone's own merits at their price point, etc.

The M50s slaughter the Philips SHP2500 is basically every single way.

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #10,295 of 48,568
Quick question if no one minds, i have the AD700 plugged into my O2 amp and while it sounds great, the audio is inverted. Things i should hear from the left are on the right and vice versa. This wasn't a problem on PC when playing Diablo 3. I plugged the PS3's composite cable into female RCA -> 3.5 mm jack to 02 (red in red and white in white). I guess i'll have to try to invert those 2 but can't be bothered checking for now, so i though i'd ask here first. It's kind of a weird issue.

Comes from JDS Labs, but like i said, i dont recall having any audio problem on PC. So i don't think it's the amp.

Hmm. So then it's not a problem with other sources? Can you verify that the left right reversal is only through the pc. Also take the amp out of the equation. Plug the HP directly to the PC sound card and see what happens.

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #10,296 of 48,568
Quote:
Crap... I realize that I have to make a decision. Do I buy the Compass 2 early? If I don't, and I sell my SA-31, I will be left ampless for both my HE-400 and K702 Anniv until I get the Compass 2 which takes quite a bit of time.
But I'm afraid that if I get the Compass 2 and no one buys my SA-31, I will have a $500 amp that I'm not using...
frown.gif

You need something like an E10 as a backup AMP/DAC.  I basically never use my laptops internal soundcard as the E10 is always plugged in to it.  If I go anywhere with my laptop I can throw the E10 and a USB cord in the bag too.  It's worth it just to have a volume knob handy even if I'm leaned back from the computer.

I usually use my KSC clip-ons with the E10, but I always use the M-stage + ODAC when I use the Q701s.

Do you plug your clip-ons into the Audio GD amp?

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #10,297 of 48,568
Yeah. The SA-31 is powerful, but not like super 'gain'. The Magni is quite a bit louder despite being a fraction of the power.

The clip-ons sound lovely off it. :D

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #10,298 of 48,568
Anybody have any recommendations for a portable amp to use with a future Android phone? It looks like octa-cores are coming to mobile phones O.o so maybe no need for an amp? Samsung will have their 1080p Amoled screens coming out sometime this year, so that's when I intend to buy. I'd like something as close to reference/neutral quality as possible.

Straight up amp? E12... (discussed earlier, page 681 of this thread and its own thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620339/upcoming-fiio-flagship-portable-amp-mont-blanc-e12-updated-on-12-30-2012-final-photo) Though it really depends on how audio focused the phone market is in this next year. Personally I'd like to see phones with some sort of digital out as standard, but the added cost of components/licencing fees (looking at you apple) this probably won't turn into a reality. A phone with a good starting capacity flash storage (at least 32-64gb), Micro SD slot, and digital out would be budget portable bliss.

I'm curious at your post though, how would a more powerful processor result in not needing an external amp? Pardon me for the assumption, but I figure the soul purpose of the amp would be to power higher impeadence headphones?

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #10,299 of 48,568
Quote:
Straight up amp? E12... (discussed earlier, page 681 of this thread and its own thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620339/upcoming-fiio-flagship-portable-amp-mont-blanc-e12-updated-on-12-30-2012-final-photo) Though it really depends on how audio focused the phone market is in this next year. Personally I'd like to see phones with some sort of digital out as standard, but the added cost of components/licencing fees (looking at you apple) this probably won't turn into a reality. A phone with a good starting capacity flash storage (at least 32-64gb), Micro SD slot, and digital out would be budget portable bliss.
I'm curious at your post though, how would a more powerful processor result in not needing an external amp? Pardon me for the assumption, but I figure the soul purpose of the amp would be to power higher impeadence headphones?

I was just being stupid. That's all. Yeah, I wish they came with a digital out as well. Well, I'll keep that amp in mind. Thank you.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #10,300 of 48,568
K, I can stand it NO LONGER. These Q701's are great, but these bumps on the headband will be the end of me. My goodness. What the hell do I do about this?

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #10,301 of 48,568
Quote:
K, I can stand it NO LONGER. These Q701's are great, but these bumps on the headband will be the end of me. My goodness. What the hell do I do about this?

Add padding.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/165#post_8047703
http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/1755#post_8714977

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #10,302 of 48,568
What's wrong with the bumps?  It's ribbed for your pleasure.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #10,304 of 48,568
What's wrong with the bumps?  It's ribbed for your pleasure.

Like! Hahahaha!
I decided to go bare-banded for some reason today. I felt like, maybe the headband adjusted better and the earpads didn't slowly slide deeper down over my head like when I wear my baby seat wraps over it, but after an hour I just put the wrap back on :k701: I only need one wrap though, don't know what to do with the extra...

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #10,305 of 48,568
Quote:
 I only need one wrap though, don't know what to do with the extra...

SoAmusing should so PM you about that.  TBH, I don't notice the bumps most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back