Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 18, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #9,841 of 48,562
Quote:
I thought there were different numbers to go with the CECHA. I see. It's been awhile since I've read. Yeah, I have that one too :D It's boss. Well, I'm happy to hear that, about the PS2. Oh, yes, Mr.PC man. Nice! I guess they get them through DD? Maybe so. I guess you could. I thought the HD fury was a HDCP stripper?

The two digits after the CECH* part just indicate the region the console was sold and set for.

The HDFury was originally a DVI-HDCP/HDMI video DAC, but it looks like later models added a digital passthrough stripped of HDCP. They've grown into very versatile devices...and very expensive ones, at that. (The latest models would easily cost me more than the FW900 did.)

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #9,842 of 48,562
So I'm watching the new Total Recall Blu-Ray on my PS3 with the A40s + Mixamp 2013. These are GREAT for movies. They're definitely better than the SLYR, as they should be considering the difference in price.

However, I'm not sure if it's the new Mixamp or the A40s themselves, but these put out some pretty awesome sounding bass while watching movies.

The new Mixamp is definitely a bit more bottom heavy than the 5.8. I dunno which is the more neutral one in this case, though being accustomed to the 5.8 for so long, I feel the new Mixamp is definitely on the warmer side of neutral, even in the flat preset.

I'm gonna have to ask SC/Astro what exact frequencies get bumped in each preset. So far, the flat preset is good, as well as the bottom right one, which seems to bump up the mids so vocals are clearer without changing the tonal balance too much. Not sure about the bottom left one. The top left one basically removes all the bass, and focus purely on mid and treble detail. This may be a good preset for muddy, boomy headphones.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #9,843 of 48,562
Quote:
The top left one basically removes all the bass, and focus purely on mid and treble detail.

That preset is called the "AD700 simulator."   
smile.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #9,844 of 48,562
Seriously, that's how I hear it. Actually, with the A40s, it makes them sound like first gen A40s... but still, better. I registered at the Astro forum to ask what exactly the presets do to the frequencies. We'll see...

I completely forgot to update the Mixamp, so I just did that. Wonder what it does.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #9,845 of 48,562
honestly the new mixamp brought my old a40's to life.  I think there might be a better dac but having heard the difference with amplifiers, i honestly think they made the new mixamp have an amp that could control the headphones a lot better.
Also, to the poster that bought a mixamp and are now regretting it, why did you bother buying one in the first place?  Not being negative just curious.
Maybe MLE should put in the description what dolby headphone and who its for and how it's not complicated to set up and use lol

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #9,846 of 48,562
I want to buy a Wii U within the next year or so and would like to have a solution for 5.1 and/or 7.1 dolby (or comparable) for it. The thing is that Wii U lacks optical output.

Like I posted above I think I might be able to hook the Wii U up to the Mixamp using one of the extra Wii component/composite rca cables I have laying around (I think they still work on the Wii U) with the help of some sort of converter. I would like to have a good enough connection without (much) degradation vis a vis optical cables.

If I can't do that, the best option would have been using a receiver to decode LCPM through HDMI, preferably Yamaha for silent cinema (an alternative to dolby headphone).

And frankly I don't know why I bought it. It was sort of an impulse buy. And like I said before I didn't even think the order was going to work because I used credit, I was already over my credit line but the payment still went through. It was an expensive, stupid experiment.

But idk, I might keep it still.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #9,847 of 48,562
Quote:
I want to buy a Wii U within the next year or so and would like to have a solution for 5.1 and/or 7.1 dolby (or comparable) for it. The thing is that Wii U lacks optical output.

Like I posted above I think I might be able to hook the Wii U up to the Mixamp using one of the extra Wii component/composite rca cables I have laying around (I think they still work on the Wii U) with the help of some sort of converter. I would like to have a good enough connection without (much) degradation vis a vis optical cables.

If I can't do that, the best option would have been using a receiver to decode LCPM through HDMI, preferably Yamaha for silent cinema (an alternative to dolby headphone).

Why not a receiver that actually has Dolby Headphone? It's mostly older Harmon Kardon models that are known for having it, but there may be others that we don't know about yet.

Or maybe you've actually tried Silent Cinema and prefer it to Dolby Headphone?

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #9,848 of 48,562
I haven't really tried silent cinema. I think my laptop has dolby advance audio and it sounds well enough even on my cheap in-ear headphones.

And I'm pretty much open to suggestions. I've heard people saying one is better for gaming  than the other (of course ear/head shape and preference plays a part) but the point is that a receiver might have been a better choice over mixamp.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #9,849 of 48,562
Quote:
I haven't really tried silent cinema. I think my laptop has dolby advance audio and it sounds well enough even on my cheap in-ear headphones.

And I'm pretty much open to suggestions. I've heard people saying one is better for gaming  than the other (of course ear/head shape and preference plays a part) but the point is that a receiver might have been a better choice over mixamp.

I went with a Yamaha receiver not because I thought Silent Cinema was better then Dolby Headphone, I went with Yamaha because I knew I was getting some sort of headphone surround sound, sourced from 6 to 8 channels.

I do not really trust most  A/V receiver makers as they seem to lack really good details about the headphone features in their receivers.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #9,850 of 48,562
I find myself constantly using my clip-ons for comfort at home...

I think I honestly should get the Yuin G1A for home use, whenever I'm not using my HE-400 (which happens a lot).

AAAAAAAAND, they're mine. :D

150ohms... like a refined KSC75. I'm ready for this.

I wish there was a bigger selection of high end clip-ons.

Considering the Yuin G1A isn't known for heavy bass, this will be what I mainly use for my anime and TV shows, where I place a lot more importance in the mids and clarity.

Hmm, from the clip-on comparison, the main thing I saw was that the Yuin G1A sounds a lot like a small HD650. That is a DEFINITE WANT.

In other news:

I believe I'll start writing the review of the Skullcandy SLYR tomorrow. Won't promise it be done, but it's going to start.

Also, I'm gonna be adding spoiler tags for all the reviews to lessen the wall of text clutter I have on the first post. It should be easier to sift through, and you can just click on the tags to open the review quickly of whatever it is you wanna read. I'll also be adding "Worthless/Bad/Okay/Decent/Good/Great/Amazing" to the numerical scores of the reviews, so people understand that a 6 is decent, so as not to write off anything that has a less then a 7 in specific areas.

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #9,851 of 48,562
Quote:
I went with a Yamaha receiver not because I thought Silent Cinema was better then Dolby Headphone, I went with Yamaha because I knew I was getting some sort of headphone surround sound, sourced from 6 to 8 channels.

I do not really trust most  A/V receiver makers as they seem to lack really good details about the headphone features in their receivers.

That's true. I was sifting through some receivers with dolby sound and I didn't see anything in regards to headphone sound.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #9,852 of 48,562
Quote:

And frankly I don't know why I bought it. It was sort of an impulse buy. And like I said before I didn't even think the order was going to work because I used credit, I was already over my credit line but the payment still went through. It was an expensive, stupid experiment.

But idk, I might keep it still.

Unless I'm missing something, you're not going to get true 5.1 sound through stereo rca cables.  It'll just be upmixed to Dolby ProLogic.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #9,853 of 48,562
Quote:
As a HD558 owner, I would guess (?) the black rubber tape that is inside the cups of the HD558 and covers about 1/3 of their grill, some how gives the HD558 more of a stronger bass sounding headphone.
Personally, I removed the black rubber tape and have never thought to put them back in.

Has the bass lowered once you removed the black rubber tape from 558?

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #9,854 of 48,562
Ah yes, someone asked about the 558.

I briefly auditioned them and I really liked them. Not enough to own them, but I did feel tbeyd be as good as the 598 in terms of positional cues, more fun, and less analytical. I like the 558 more than the 598. I did feel they were a lot like the PC360, if maybe a bit more musical.

My other brief auditions were the A900X and K550. NEITHER were to my taste and sounded boring and lifeless to me.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #9,855 of 48,562
Quote:
Has the bass lowered once you removed the black rubber tape from 558?

Difficult to answer, I removed the black rubber tape just a few days after getting the HD558 and I do not think the HD558s had broken in yet.
Currently my well broken in HD558 have what I would call very decent bass (not heavy bass), the bass, mid range and treble seem very balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back