Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 17, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #9,811 of 48,568
I didnt see it before. Very nice. Not sure I'd gut any of my headphones like that though, lol.

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #9,812 of 48,568
i originally modded the a30's because i let a friend borrow them and he broke them.  While fixing them i noticed there could be some improvements.  I figured i was going to buy a new pair of headphones and was considering getting the new a40's but figured i'd take a stab at making my old ones better sounding like i did the a30's so i didn't have to buy new ones.

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #9,813 of 48,568
I just got a working CECHA PS3 today and have been messing around with it for a bit.

One of the first things I noticed was that when I fired up Saints Row 2 (got it and some other games bundled with a parts PS3 I couldn't fix due to the seller's misdiagnosis), it was the DTS light that popped on my SU-DH1, not the Dolby Digital light.

I guess those DTS logos weren't for show, and Sony's more lax in their surround format requirements than Microsoft (whom, if I'm not mistaken, demand Dolby Digital support specifically) if you set the PS3 to output DTS and other formats over S/PDIF.

Oh, and MLE, check your PS3 for friend requests. You can probably help me wrap my head around this new-to-me console and its quirks; for starters, it's a good thing that I could borrow my brother's HDTV for a little while, as it's the only display in the entire house with an HDMI input. (Not even joking about that.) Had to go in and enable the AV-out port before scratching my head at a blank screen with the usual PS A/V cables, hoping this wasn't one of those "no video" consoles just short of YLoD. (And while composite looks terrible, especially by PS3 standards, I need to prepare it for use with component cables. HDMI has to wait 'til I can afford an HDfury4/3Dfury.)

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #9,814 of 48,568
Quote:
Did anyone check out my video i put up a page or two ago?

Yes, it looks like you did something similar to the "Kramer Mod."

It looks like that's a pretty major mod and not something you can compare the before and after results.

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #9,815 of 48,568
The thing is that I probably won't be able to use it with a Wii U (no optical output) which I intent to buy within the next year or so. I would like a universal solution (on dedicated gaming consoles) and a AVR would probably solve that issue.

Although now that I think about it, I might be able to use the RCA cables and "piggyback" them onto the mixamp for audio since I have like three sets of those bad boys. (Both component and composite) Can anybody please tell me if I will achieve 5.1 sound or at least something similar to optical output using the RCA cables? 

Does everyone here have me blocked?  I post that video thinking you guys would like to see something a little different and not one response!  Does everyone have me blocked or something or was the video that bad?

Yea, I'd respond but I'm new at this...

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #9,816 of 48,568
Yes, the rca can produce a 3d imaging. Don't know if it takes the analog and converts it digital and back to analog but it does do it somehow. 
Usually this is at a degrade of quality.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #9,819 of 48,568
[size=medium]Mad Lust Envy[/size] Did you by any chance test the Sennheiser HD 558 aswell? I've read that the 558 has a little stronger bass than 598, which why I'm being pulled more to 558, even tho the 598 look so much better overall.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #9,820 of 48,568
Quote:
What I believe he is saying is that it is almost impossible to A/B a mod like that.
-Erik

Yes. 

You can't compare the sound from before and after the mod back to back (without a second pair of A40s).

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #9,821 of 48,568
Quote:
[size=medium]Mad Lust Envy[/size] Did you by any chance test the Sennheiser HD 558 as well? I've read that the 558 has a little stronger bass than 598, which why I'm being pulled more to 558, even tho the 598 look so much better overall.

As a HD558 owner, I would guess (?) the black rubber tape that is inside the cups of the HD558 and covers about 1/3 of their grill, some how gives the HD558 more of a stronger bass sounding headphone.
Personally, I removed the black rubber tape and have never thought to put them back in.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #9,822 of 48,568
This thread is really making me want to get the Beyer 990pro again. I had it once but the right driver blew out so I decided to return and see what else was out there, but nothing gave me the same excitement and comfort that those cans did 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #9,823 of 48,568
lol, i've had a lot of headphones and can assure you i know the difference.  Also, i did get a chance to a/b because my friend brought his over to have me do the mod to his.  I got to ab them and so did he.  It only assured him more that he wanted it done to his.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #9,824 of 48,568
whether it be 1min from the time i heard one or an hour, i can tell you the differences.  Partly because i have done extensive listening and finding the strengths and weaknesses of my headphones.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #9,825 of 48,568
Quote:
Yes, the rca can produce a 3d imaging. Don't know if it takes the analog and converts it digital and back to analog but it does do it somehow. 
Usually this is at a degrade of quality.

Wait, is that a good or a bad thing? 

And for the second question, a degrade in quality compared to what? Optical output. I was thinking of using an RCA  to Optical DAC but it seems most are made to work the other wat around.  

So I would suppose it would go Wii U through RCA>DAC >Mixamp>another amp>headphone

Would that be (significantly) worse than straight through optical out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back