Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 17, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #9,826 of 48,566
If the Earforce DSS is in any way similar to the Astro Mixamp in Dolby Headphone technology, then I must say that Dolby Headphone is worthless. The best directional headphones I've used in Black Ops 2, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3 and Modern Warfare 3 are the Samson SR850, and I could pick up audio and directionality cues just as well in Stereo as I could in Dolby Headphone. I have heard no improvement in Single-player or Mutliplayer using the Earforce DSS.

Maybe it works for some people's ears better than others.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #9,827 of 48,566
If the Earforce DSS is in any way similar to the Astro Mixamp in Dolby Headphone technology, then I must say that Dolby Headphone is worthless. The best directional headphones I've used in Black Ops 2, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3 and Modern Warfare 3 are the Samson SR850, and I could pick up audio and directionality cues just as well in Stereo as I could in Dolby Headphone. I have heard no improvement in Single-player or Mutliplayer using the Earforce DSS.

Maybe it works for some people's ears better than others.

That's your problem right there. Those games have TERRIBLE positional cues. Believe it or not, half the time, it's lazy devs not placing a lot of importance on positional cues. One example of GREAT audio, but bad positional cues is Battlefield 3. A damn shame.

Try harder...aka, get other games. Don't blame Dolby Headphone, blame those games for having 'worthless' surround cues.

One good example: Modern Warfare 2. That game's online multiplayer had amazing positional cues. The first MW as well, but not as good as MW2's.

Also, it'd help knowing what you're using. 360, PS3? Your settings are important.

Lol, stereo...

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #9,828 of 48,566
Quote:
I just got a working CECHA PS3 today and have been messing around with it for a bit.

One of the first things I noticed was that when I fired up Saints Row 2 (got it and some other games bundled with a parts PS3 I couldn't fix due to the seller's misdiagnosis), it was the DTS light that popped on my SU-DH1, not the Dolby Digital light.

I guess those DTS logos weren't for show, and Sony's more lax in their surround format requirements than Microsoft (whom, if I'm not mistaken, demand Dolby Digital support specifically) if you set the PS3 to output DTS and other formats over S/PDIF.

Oh, and MLE, check your PS3 for friend requests. You can probably help me wrap my head around this new-to-me console and its quirks; for starters, it's a good thing that I could borrow my brother's HDTV for a little while, as it's the only display in the entire house with an HDMI input. (Not even joking about that.) Had to go in and enable the AV-out port before scratching my head at a blank screen with the usual PS A/V cables, hoping this wasn't one of those "no video" consoles just short of YLoD. (And while composite looks terrible, especially by PS3 standards, I need to prepare it for use with component cables. HDMI has to wait 'til I can afford an HDfury4/3Dfury.)

Nice! Was it the 60gb version? You might wanna send this off to PC doctor for the fan mod, cleanup, thermal paste, and what not. What's the significance of the DTS? Also, why do you need an HDfury?

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #9,829 of 48,566
Ah, anyone know of something that would be good for routinely cleaning off the hair from my Q701's?

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #9,831 of 48,566
Quote:
That's your problem right there. Those games have TERRIBLE positional cues. Believe it or not, half the time, it's lazy devs not placing a lot of importance on positional cues. One example of GREAT audio, but bad positional cues is Battlefield 3. A damn shame.
Try harder...aka, get other games. Don't blame Dolby Headphone, blame those games for having 'worthless' surround cues.
One good example: Modern Warfare 2. That game's online multiplayer had amazing positional cues. The first MW as well, but not as good as MW2's.
Also, it'd help knowing what you're using. 360, PS3? Your settings are important.
Lol, stereo...

I'm using the PS3. Amazon optical cable. Only Dolby Digital 5.1 selected in Audio Settings. For Battlefield 3 I had Enhanced Stereo off and the sound profile set to Home Theatre. Still not impressed with Dolby Headphone. Thinking of choosing between the Q701, MA900 or HE-400 for future use. Maybe the Samson SR850 are just bad?

I thought Uncharted 2 and 3 had amazing sound and positional cues. I could my opponents and where they were coming from whether in Stereo or Dolby Headphone. The best showcases of why I should invest in a home theatre system sownwhere down the line.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #9,832 of 48,566
Quote:
I have hair that's not too long, I just pick out my strands that get caught on them. Don't know of anything specific to do that.

All right then.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #9,833 of 48,566
Anybody know how I can get some good sound out of this Yamaha receiver? Right now I'm using the straight enhancer with Pandora's 44khz MP3. I don't think it's doing the Q701's justice.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #9,834 of 48,566
Quote:
Nice! Was it the 60gb version? You might wanna send this off to PC doctor for the fan mod, cleanup, thermal paste, and what not. What's the significance of the DTS? Also, why do you need an HDfury?

CECHA = original 60 GB revision with full PS2 hardware support. Now I can play all those PS2 games I missed out on the first time around.

I can install fan mods and change thermal paste myself. At least I don't need to change the PSU and fan in this one; came with an APS-226 and a 19-blade fan.

The significance of the DTS discovery is that I wonder how people with other surround processors that lack DTS support get audio in those games on a PS3. Maybe the PS3 itself can transcode DTS to Dolby Digital, going by MLE's statements on getting Blu-ray movies to output Dolby Digital that only have DTS tracks. I'll test it myself with the Recon3D USB, which only supports Dolby Digital.

EDIT: Turns out that disabling DTS support in the optical output options and setting "Bitstream (Mix)" has the PS3 re-encode it to Dolby Digital.

The HDfury is needed because there's only one display in this entire house that even has an HDMI port, and that one's not mine. (Believe it or not, our primary living room HDTV is a rear-projection CRT set from 2002 or 2003 that only has component inputs.) In particular, I'd prefer to use my prized Sony GDM-FW900 monitor with my PS3. I could just run component output to a PC capture card and display it that way, I suppose...

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #9,835 of 48,566
Quote:
Ah, anyone know of something that would be good for routinely cleaning off the hair from my Q701's?

You can take a strip of sticky tape and push it around the headphone/pads and it will pick off debris, similar to a lint roller.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #9,837 of 48,566
Quote:

CECHA = original 60 GB revision with full PS2 hardware support. Now I can play all those PS2 games I missed out on the first time around.

I can install fan mods and change thermal paste myself. At least I don't need to change the PSU and fan in this one; came with an APS-226 and a 19-blade fan.

The significance of the DTS discovery is that I wonder how people with other surround processors that lack DTS support get audio in those games on a PS3. Maybe the PS3 itself can transcode DTS to Dolby Digital, going by MLE's statements on getting Blu-ray movies to output Dolby Digital that only have DTS tracks. I'll test it myself with the Recon3D USB, which only supports Dolby Digital.

The HDfury is needed because there's only one display in this entire house that even has an HDMI port, and that one's not mine. (Believe it or not, our primary living room HDTV is a rear-projection CRT set from 2002 or 2003 that only has component inputs.) In particular, I'd prefer to use my prized Sony GDM-FW900 monitor with my PS3. I could just run component output to a PC capture card and display it that way, I suppose...

I thought there were different numbers to go with the CECHA. I see. It's been awhile since I've read. Yeah, I have that one too :D It's boss. Well, I'm happy to hear that, about the PS2. Oh, yes, Mr.PC man. Nice! I guess they get them through DD? Maybe so. I guess you could. I thought the HD fury was a HDCP stripper?

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #9,838 of 48,566
Quote:

You can take a strip of sticky tape and push it around the headphone/pads and it will pick off debris, similar to a lint roller.

Got it! I have a lint roller I think.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #9,839 of 48,566
Quote:
Got it! I have a lint roller I think.

I just use strips of tape and dab/pat them around the pads.

Whenever I sell headphones I do this with real sticky tape like duct tape and it makes the pads look like new.
biggrin.gif

FYI, don't do this on Beyer pads as it seems to pull out strands of whatever soft fluffy velour type they use.
eek.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #9,840 of 48,566
Quote:

I just use strips of tape and dab/pat them around the pads.

Whenever I sell headphones I do this with real sticky tape like duct tape and it makes the pads look like new.
biggrin.gif

FYI, don't do this on Beyer pads as it seems to pull out strands of whatever soft fluffy velour type they use.
eek.gif

Got it! Nice! Oh my, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back