Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 14, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #9,721 of 48,562
+1 for the $40 SLYR.  I wrote SkullCandy off a while ago, interesting developments there from what I've been reading.  After reading everything MLE said about them, I'm getting antsy to receive them.  I posted earlier and didn't get a response (it was a bit longwinded), but I had recently picked up an original DSS to pair with my x12's.  Any comparison you can make between the two (x12+DSS vs. SLYR) so I can know what to expect?  Is the Mixamp 5.8 a must? 
I'm hoping I can find a way to have both headsets fully working (with chat) simultaneously on my 360, so we'll see.

Just so you don't feel ignored...
The DSS should be fine if you don't feel like e background hiss is annoying. The DSS/Mixamp/Et al are just for the surround processing, and all can benefit from adding an amp with more demanding headphones. The main thing between em is hiss, and what processing method they use (Mixamp and DSS v1 both use Dolby Headphone). Oh, and the Mixamp 5.8 doesn't require wires reaching to the console (just next to you), but my mileage on that is that I don't really mind wires. If you HAVE to have wireless, IMO the Mixamp 5.8 is the best choice (despite reportedly mild hiss) because it doesn't lock you into a particular headphone & you can still add an amp. I haven't heard either Mixamp tho.

I like my Recon3D cuz the surround profile works for me, I hear ZERO hiss even at 100% volume with my 32 Ohm AD700 (nor AKG Q701), it's a USB soundcard for my Mac & Windows desktop too, and the price was right :) Also, you guys can call me crazy, but I was just playing CoD4 in Scout mode... surprisingly enjoying it. It took a match to get used to hearing footsteps and enviro crap loud, but it was much easier to instinctively know someone was near without concentrating, and gunshots/explosions were less distracting. Now, I wouldn't use Scout mode during campaign or with music, but it was in fatiguing and mildly useful. I suspect it might even help use a "fun" headphone for sounds horsing competitively. Not bad...

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #9,722 of 48,562
Problem is, the DSS won't work with non-TB headsets. No mic capabilities.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #9,723 of 48,562
Problem is, the DSS won't work with non-TB headsets. No mic capabilities.

True. Though I just use a cheapo 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and plug my mic directly into the Xbox controller. I'm sure there's a workaround for PS3 as well?

Btw, do you have any idea why I couldn't use my FiiO E5 to amp my lapel mic?

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #9,729 of 48,562
Quote:
Just so you don't feel ignored...
The DSS should be fine if you don't feel like e background hiss is annoying. The DSS/Mixamp/Et al are just for the surround processing, and all can benefit from adding an amp with more demanding headphones. The main thing between em is hiss, and what processing method they use (Mixamp and DSS v1 both use Dolby Headphone). Oh, and the Mixamp 5.8 doesn't require wires reaching to the console (just next to you), but my mileage on that is that I don't really mind wires. If you HAVE to have wireless, IMO the Mixamp 5.8 is the best choice (despite reportedly mild hiss) because it doesn't lock you into a particular headphone & you can still add an amp. I haven't heard either Mixamp tho.
I like my Recon3D cuz the surround profile works for me, I hear ZERO hiss even at 100% volume with my 32 Ohm AD700 (nor AKG Q701), it's a USB soundcard for my Mac & Windows desktop too, and the price was right
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, you guys can call me crazy, but I was just playing CoD4 in Scout mode... surprisingly enjoying it. It took a match to get used to hearing footsteps and enviro crap loud, but it was much easier to instinctively know someone was near without concentrating, and gunshots/explosions were less distracting. Now, I wouldn't use Scout mode during campaign or with music, but it was in fatiguing and mildly useful. I suspect it might even help use a "fun" headphone for sounds horsing competitively. Not bad...

As I said, I get a bit lost in details and ask a lot of questions, so understandable if I get overlooked :)

Thanks for the response.  The surround processing is the most important aspect for me right now.  So correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the x12+DSS is going to get me better directional/distance sound than the SLYR, until I pair the SLYR with another processor.  And with that, I could use the DSS with SLYR, but will lose voice capabilities going that route?  I don't care too much about wireless, since I've got a million wires as is, what might be my best(cheapest) option to pair with the SLYR?  The Mixamp 5.8, Pro, maybe the Tritton ax720?  Is this thing even legit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tritton-Ax-720-AX720-Decoder-Box-Control-Box-/251191668504?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item3a7c30af18 ?

Sorry again for the million questions, I really do appreciate the responses.

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #9,730 of 48,562
Be careful... that listing is for the decoder box ONLY. You'll still need to get the inline remote to be able to use your own headphones (via 3.5mm). I still have my AX720 DB, though its the older 5.1 version. If you're interested shoot me a PM.
You might be able to use a mono price inline remote with it.... the connector LOOKs the same (9pin) but I'm not 100%.

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #9,731 of 48,562
Well, I just ordered a mixamp about an hour ago. Apparently my order went through. I'm going to try it for a bit and see what the hubbub is about. I'll probably need another amp to power up my headphones though.

I'm thinking about the magni but I don't quite know how I'm going to connect that to the mixamp.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #9,732 of 48,562
Mixamp - headphone jack - 3.5mm male to rca male cable - Magni's RCA input

The only thing that worries me about the Magni is that it has a gain of 5. Not sure it will be enough, compared to an E9K which has a gain of 12 in high gain. The Magni is quite a bit more powerful with higher impedance than the E9K, so perhaps it offsets the lower gain.

Just worrisome, as my SA-31 is like many E9Ks put together, yet the lower gain makes it not as loud.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #9,733 of 48,562
Well, let me know how that works out. Depending on your impressions I may or may not order one. Meanwhile I might look into other options. I might end up buying the AVR anyway (just not a very expensive one).

I still haven't bought a pair of headphones. I'm still thinking about the DT Pro 80 ohm version. I'll probably pick up a used pair off amazon. It'll save me the "break in" period and If I end up not liking it at least I won't have as big of a buyer's remorse... :wink:

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #9,734 of 48,562
Well my worries are mostly when adding voice chat, and not the Magni's ability to drive a headphone. The Magni should be fine for the vast majority. Just, dunno about driving headphones loud if you have a large tip towards voice chat on something like a Mixamp.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #9,735 of 48,562
I tried a friend's Astro A40's 2013 Edition and wow, the mixamp is hissy!!!

Is there a no-hiss solution anywhere with dolby headphone?

Even disregarding voice chat, is there an affordable hiss-free solution? I consider my Fiio E17 to be nearly silent with a very low hiss if I really listen to it, but acceptable. It doesn't do Dolby Headphone though. Is there a AV Reciever with Dolby Headphone that is hiss free? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back