Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 15, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #9,736 of 48,568
I doubt receivers would introduce hiss. And I dunno about you but the E17 is dead silent. No way that any hiss coming off it would ever be an issue. USB noise was probable though, as I have a few noisy usb ports.

The first gen Mixamp was almost hiss free. Perhaps even the Mixamp Pro (pre-2013).

Im not too worried about hiss, as when youre in the middle of a match, hiss is such a non-issue, even on the hissy AX720.

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #9,737 of 48,568
Quote:
I tried a friend's Astro A40's 2013 Edition and wow, the mixamp is hissy!!!

Is there a no-hiss solution anywhere with dolby headphone?

Even disregarding voice chat, is there an affordable hiss-free solution? I consider my Fiio E17 to be nearly silent with a very low hiss if I really listen to it, but acceptable. It doesn't do Dolby Headphone though. Is there a AV Reciever with Dolby Headphone that is hiss free? 

i get no hiss at all at with my Yamaha RX-V373.  It's not dolby headphone, but their own proprietary version of headphone surround sound.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #9,738 of 48,568
I've owned the HD558's for around 2 month's now, and I must say I am very impressed with the upgrade to audiophile grade headphones.:)

For music I keep hearing small details in tracks that I never heard before like how drum beats are much more pronounced. However I keep wondering if I would prefer the bass to be more pronounced or not.
Keep in mind I never heard a set of bass focused headphones without the mids and highs getting muffled so i,m still slighty hesitant about trying out another set.

For gaming I felt more immersed which was the goal of these but I'll wait till I get the DSS before I judge this section.

In terms of comfort these are much better then the other headsets I tried like the turtle beach px21's or the siberia v2's, the velor padding feels very nice on my head.:cool:

While some people seem turned off by the look of these I personally love the more classic style they where going for.

Overall sennheiser made a great first impression on me and I feel I got more then my moneys worth on them.

Sorry if this review came out like crap I don't do these very often.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #9,739 of 48,568
Nah man, it's cool, I think a lot of gamers have the same reaction when they stop dicking around with some of the overpriced headsets or PC speakers out there and they move on to quality headphones and/or real speakers. A lot of gaming peripheral companies have been milking that market for years with mediocre products... I'm actually glad to see stuff like the SC Slyr stepping it up in that regard.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #9,740 of 48,568
Quote:

Even disregarding voice chat, is there an affordable hiss-free solution? I consider my Fiio E17 to be nearly silent with a very low hiss if I really listen to it, but acceptable. It doesn't do Dolby Headphone though. Is there a AV Reciever with Dolby Headphone that is hiss free? 

I have a H&K avr-247 (which has DH) and I get no hiss.

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #9,741 of 48,568
Don't know if anyone asked this but does anyone use their set of cans for any other games besides online shooter's.

It's been bugging me for awhile since just about every headphone\headset review (for gaming) always talks about the next big FPS. Not that it's a bad thing, I just think that other genres deserve some love as well like horror.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #9,742 of 48,568
Of course. I use my cans for more games than just FPS. The main reason I specifically mention FPS (and third person shooters) games, is because they are the ones that hold the most importance in terms of positional cues. Other types of games don't tend to highlight positional cues as well.

Most of the games I play AREN'T shooters, lol.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #9,743 of 48,568
Quote:
Don't know if anyone asked this but does anyone use their set of cans for any other games besides online shooter's.
It's been bugging me for awhile since just about every headphone\headset review (for gaming) always talks about the next big FPS. Not that it's a bad thing, I just think that other genres deserve some love as well like horror.

Uhh... Yeah. 

One example, http://www.head-fi.org/t/600290/the-official-horror-game-thread-lets-put-those-headphones-to-good-use

The "online shooter" people are just more vocal and come into this thread and others specifically looking for gaming headsets, saying something like, "I need a good gaming headset for COD."  Gaming headsets are usually marketed towards "Pro, MLG, Elite, Hardcore" gamers, which is tied to competitive shooters.  So the reviews for those headsets then usually mention the shooters as well.

To be fair, shooters usually test out a headphones/headsets soundstage and positioning, so they are worth mentioning for that point at least.

The people in the market for gaming headsets often don't know to look any further than them.  They're usually the ones less likely to venture out past "gaming headsets" and into the world of Hi-Fi headphones. 

To make an analogy to music: People who only listen one genre like Pop music sometimes don't know anything better exists than their iBuds or whatever else is available from best buy (Beats, SkullCandy).  That's sort of the equivalent to gamers who only play on genre of Shooters and don't know anything exists beyond Turtle Beach, Tritton, Astro and whatever else gets reviewed buy gaming sites and sold at Best Buy.

People who are willing to do the research and then save up their hard earned money for a higher end headphones/amps/dacs/etc. are probably already more appreciative of audio in general.  They are hopefully smart enough to realize that investing in that kind of gear is going to be overkill for just online shooters, and are planning to use it for other genres of games as well as music.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #9,744 of 48,568
Upon unboxing the A40+Mixamp 2013 bundle, I'm greeted by a very lovely looking Mixamp (SO much better looking and feeling than the first gen).

What it comes with:

A40 headset (with removable speaker tags, though I don't hear much of a difference between having them on or off).

Mixamp 2013 Edition

Microphone for the headset

Male Y cable to allow the A40s to attach to a PC. This is NOT a female Y cable that will allow use of other headsets with the Mixamp, so make sure to order your own if that is the case.

Optical cable (fairly lengthy AND of good quality.... not like the flimsy, short optical cable that came with the Mixamp 5.8. One end is of the mini optical variety to directly connect to the Mixamp)

2.5mm Controller cable (for 360)

3.5mm cable with a mic mute switch for connecting directly to the A40s. (very nice to have a removable cable)

3.5mm male/male cable (apparently for connecting an MP3, but obviously works for anything)

USB to mini USB (I have a million so I'll leave this one alone)

All the cables are of good quality.

Looks good so far.

Things I have to note... if you sit far from your setup, you're gonna need your own long USB cable, and long optical cable (as well as getting a mini optical adapter). None of the cables supplied are long enough to have the Mixamp next to you if you are some distance away from your consoles.

Still, not happy that the Mixamp only has one optical input. Most gamers have MORE than one game system, so it's a hassle to constantly unplug just to switch to the other system. They need to rectify this with the next Mixamp model. We need more inputs, not less.

One impressive thing, is that the A50s don't seem much heavier than the A40, yet it has DH built in directly to the headset.

Note: Doesn't look like the A40s accept any other cable other than the one supplied, as I tried the Slyr and other cables, and none work. The A40 cable is 4 channels (I assume one is for the Stream channel), and the plug is pretty long. So you'll have to use the A40 cable, though an extension cable works fine if you're not using voice chat.

quick impression of sound for music (through my ODAC > SA-31)

I already feel it sounds better than the A50. It sounds airier, and less bloated in the bass. It definitely sounds better than I remember of the first gen A40s. It has a nicely balanced sound, whereas the old A40s were hollow, and lacking bass, and the A50s are muddy and bass bloated in comparison. I'll call it early and say the A40s are gonna be better than the A50s. The mids are considerably distant compared to the SLYR, and the SLYR has more bass impact, while still remaining tight. The soundstage on the A40 in stereo is pretty good.

So far, and surprisingly, I STILL prefer the SLYR's sound signature.

I have a feeling the A40s will be better for gaming than the SLYR though.

I will at least be able to compare all three headsets at the same time:

PS3 to A50
A50's optical out to Mixamp 5.8 - Slyr
Mixamp 5.8's optical out to Mixamp 2013 - A40

edit: Just compared Mixamp 5.8 hiss vs Mixamp 2013 hiss. They are similar. Meaning, they are non-issues! They certainly aren't AX720 level of hissy.

The Mic on the A40 is damn good. Zero complaints.

edit 2: Not even close. The A40s walk all over the A50s. I mean, seriously. Hooked up the A40s to the 5.8 and Mixamp Pro, and the A50s sound... sad next to it.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #9,746 of 48,568

As already said, I would suggest a AVR receiver. I have a Marantz SR5002 and I think it even sounds more detailed, clear and open than the Mixamp I have.

-Erik

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #9,748 of 48,568
So does the Skullcandy Slyr come with a Dolby Headphone processor for consoles or do you have to use your own? I've read that it's USB-only out of the box and you need your own Dolby Headphone processor to hook up to console for Dolby Headphone.

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #9,749 of 48,568
So the A40s are pretty good for gaming, so far. Not 100% sure on positioning yet, but balance is good. The Mixamp EQ presets are good, but I stick to the top right, which is flat. Top left is Pro mode which lowers bass and raises detail, but I didn't find it necessary.

There is a point on the volume knob (around 60-65%) where there is a noticeable crackle/distortion when turning the knob. It is always in the same spot. It doesn't affect anything, just when turning the knob and passing that point. I dunno if it's just something that happens with this specific Mixamp I got. Just wanted to note it.

Anyone else with a 2013 Mixamp hear this crackle? Just keep turning the volume past this point and back.

So I am pleased with the A40s. Not PC360 great, but it is a legit headset. I need to test more for positional cues. Right now, I'm not keen on ANY of the headphones I have on hand, for pure positional cues. They are all merely good on the positional cue front (with Dolby Headphone). I guess I'm just too used to open headphones, and going back to closed headsets like this takes some getting used to. At worst, the A50's are about a 6 for both fun and competitive (decent). At best, the A40s get a 7.5 for competitive, the SLYR gets at 7. For fun, the SLYR gets a 7.5, and A40 gets a 7. This are numbers made up on the spot, and don't reflect final scores. 7s are GOOD, 7.5s are almost great. Remember, these are PERSONAL scores, and not ones to compare to one another. A K701 with a 6.5 still sounds considerably better than the A40's even though they are a 7. This is why I say NOT to compare scores unless I specifically mention it.

I do feel the A40s are better performers for gaming than the SLYR, as the SLYR's soundstage can't quite match the A40's.

I'm glad to see that my worries about the A40s have been mostly baseless. Glad I held back on OLD A40 review. They WERE my very first gaming headphone/headset, and was at a time when I wasn't too experienced (well not experieneced at all) with all of this.

So does the Skullcandy Slyr come with a Dolby Headphone processor for consoles or do you have to use your own? I've read that it's USB-only out of the box and you need your own Dolby Headphone processor to hook up to console for Dolby Headphone.

The SLYR doesn't have a Dolby Processor, but it does come with a 3.5mm cable that you can hook up to the Mixamp and works just as easily as the A40s on it. It does have it's own stereo mixer, but you don't have to use it, and opt out for the 3.5mm cable instead.

I don't know how to recommend it, other than for those that play in stereo, and those who have a processor without a headset. If you don't have any, I'd say it's probably best to save up for the A40 bundle, which is better suited for gaming from what I've heard so far. I still do prefer the SLYR for everything else, and they are still good for gaming. Still, is is assuming you have no setup.

Mixamp + SLYR = $210 or so.

Mixamp + A40 bundle = $250

Mixamp + A30 = $200 (and I definitely wanna hear them at some point, because if they are good, they may be the best cost effective Mixamp solution).

Again, this is early impressions on the A40s. I do like them for gaming quite a bit, SO FAR. Not as much for music, which I prefer the SLYR pretty definitively.

PC360 is still the best headset overall that I have heard. The combination of balance and open design put it quite a bit ahead for me.

I do find the A40s better than the AX720.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #9,750 of 48,568
The SLYR doesn't have a Dolby Processor, but it does come with a 3.5mm cable that you can hook up to the Mixamp and works just as easily as the A40s on it. It does have it's own stereo mixer, but you don't have to use it, and opt out for the 3.5mm cable instead.

Can you hook up other headphones to the stereo mixer? Can you take pics with how to hook it up plz? Looking for options to mix game and xbox live sound for use with my receiver still.

-Erik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back