Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 9, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #9,511 of 48,562
Yeah, even brick and mortar stores that price gouge, you'd be able to pick that up for $9. $2-$5 would be the actual ideal price. That type of cable isn't actually something that is commonly carried in most retail stores but just check your local electronics store or super mega retail stores in the electronics section. 

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #9,512 of 48,562
Whatever the Canadian equivalent to Radio Shack is... :D

As I mentioned earlier, an RCA to 6.3mm cable would work too, as long as you also have a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter. I have a feeling that would actually be more commonly found.

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #9,514 of 48,562
Phew! Gone a week, and I had seriously like 20 pages of catching up!
Btw, my tube/class A amp had arrived around the time of my last post, and I'd received a replacement tube and PS for it. Mshenay, just a little warning: tube amps are a bit finicky compared to SS like a FiiO. Since the included tube shattered in transit, I had to re-bias the amp by ear (not the ideal method) for the new tube, and in general tube amps have a fatiguing + annoying buzz for a while when they first power on, so give them 10-25 minutes to warm up before you judge... Unless you want to hear crap, the be totally impressed once everything's flowing! Why did you get a bravo V3 with the iffy 3band eq instead of the Indeed G2 with upgraded components and power supply?

I just saw your sig. You're welcome. :)
Glad the Q701 is working out so well for you. I really loved them. So much, that I'm contemplating getting the K702 65th Anniversary. For real.

Mad, for the sake of the guide, my offer still stands in case you want to compare the Q701 side-by-side with the 65th anniversary or something. I haven't sold my AD700 yet, so I have a temporary backup. Btw, it's awesome that you're getting review samples now!!! I'm like... ready to work as a janitor by now.

So I got tired of dealing with my modmic/Q701 cables. Not the prettiest, but effective at least.

I think it's pretty! I want to figure out how to do that; with my surround processor sitting next to me, I have a sloppy pool of cables around my feet. Especially when I use my preferred wired controller, have my AD700 on hand for A/B testing, and the wire going to my Tube/class A amp.

Have you noticed any ill-effects from having the cable all twisted? I would imagine it would create an almost antennae effect, or I'd at least be worried about crimping the cable. If there have been no problems, I probably will study your picture and see if I can figure out how you tied it! Personally, I'm more skilled at untying knots than making them :wink:

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #9,515 of 48,562
I'm almost sure the main difference sonically between the Q701 and K702/65 is the pads. Need someone who has both to swap the pads... seriously.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #9,516 of 48,562
Quote:
Has anyone heard something new about the astro Mixamp pro being sold as a standalone unit soon? Only word i have is a post on Astro's forum from a mod saying early december. I don't want to shell out 249.99 for the whole thing when i already have a pair of AD700,

Apparently mid-December..so any day.

The only other place I can find to buy these is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Astro-A40-Gaming-MixAmp-Pro-Only-without-cables-and-headset-/120997609987?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item1c2c050203

I might get a DSS2 since I want my new surround set up for Xmas :)

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #9,517 of 48,562
Quote:
I just saw your sig. You're welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad the Q701 is working out so well for you. I really loved them. So much, that I'm contemplating getting the K702 65th Anniversary. For real.

Did u see the thread about the k702 anniversary? Basically there is no difference vs the normal version except the colors..

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #9,518 of 48,562
Dec 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #9,519 of 48,562
...The 75s with the 35's clips sounds a bit congested. I'd say, stick to the 75's stock clips.
So, again, the KSC35 is undoubtedly better with either clips, you just have to mess with the 75's clips a bit to get them to sound proper.

Hmm, at some point I should get one of the two to compare to my KSC50... I've gifted the 75 a few times and tried them out but never A/B'd them, tho I've always wondered why they KSC50 were replaced or put out of production so quickly (relatively speaking).

The 50's certainly look more attractive or less cheap, clip is very different too, tho not necessarily any better or worse... The hinge on them helps a little with keeping them close to the ear. These days I mostly use them to bike or run.

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #9,521 of 48,562
Did u see the thread about the k702 anniversary? Basically there is no difference vs the normal version except the colors..

I been reading otherwise. Been reading that its a noticeable improvement over the past akgs. Hell, they honestly dont need much of an improvement over the q701. I was absolutely thrilled by them, and they just lacked a little bass for my personal taste. I hear the 65th is more bassy. Im more interested in the flat headband and memory foam pads.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #9,522 of 48,562
Quote:
I just saw your sig. You're welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Added you on PS3. Same PSN as my name here. Yeah, thanks! Btw, are there any alterations I can make to the Q701's? I know a cable, but the cable is already great. What about the headband? A memory foam type of thing would be nice. Any suggestions? Yup, they are! So thanks. All right all right. Also, why, when I quote or maybe it's the multiquote, does this website repeat the 1st one?
Quote:
For sure! My mmx 300 will be here Monday, according to tracking. :D Stoked to try em out.

But after a long gaming session with the A40's tonight, I am not sure how much better it can get. For competitive play the new a40's do everything i need them to do very well. 

I will report back

Oh, sweet :) Enjoy! Oh, you can do better than A40's, lol. That's great though!

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #9,523 of 48,562
D
I have spent tonnes of time researching DSS2 vs Mixamp, but haven't really looked at the Recon3D!

It would be cool if someone on this forum owned all three and could do a real scientific test :)

Define scientific? Mad had the opportunity to try out the Mixamp, Recon3D USB (not the internal soundcard), and a JVC headphone surround processor side-by-side. An A/B/C test, if you will. His impressions are posted in the guide.

Both I95 North, NamelessPFG, and I have the Recon3D now, so feel free to ask us for impressions or read my Recon3D impressions among Head-Fi's reviews. Personally, I feel the Recon3D has good processing and is nice to use both with my Xbox and with my Mac/Windows PC via USB, though it's amp section isn't super impressive (it's powered only by USB after all). Soundstage and dynamics scale up impressively with a good headphone amp, I really enjoy my Class A tube amp with the Recon3D and my Q701s.

On another, slightly off topic note! THIS IS AN AMAZING DEAL FOR A PCI-E SOUNDCARD FOR PC GAMING RIGHT NOW:
http://www.jr.com/creative-labs/pe/CLN_SB1270/

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #9,524 of 48,562
The Ti HD has actually been even cheaper at times, Best Buy was clearing them out at one point for like $55 (which is kind of absurd!)... Been seeing it pop up often for $100 ever since Creative started overhauling their line.

Almost grabbed one myself (tho they were more like $75 in Puerto Rico), but I ended up with an STX for the amp and headphone/speaker switching...

It's rather dumb that the Ti HD auto mutes the speaker output when headphones are plugged in the back, makes discrete outputs kind of pointless. I think they addressed that on the new Zx, haven't read much about it tho.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #9,525 of 48,562
FOR SALE: Yamaha Aventage RX-A710 7.1 Receiver/Amp/Astro Mixamp Alternative/Upscaler/A lot more, lol. This the best and perfect fit for people wanting to use this for surround sound. Just check the link for details - http://tricities.craigslist.org/ele/3467048235.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back