Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 8, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #9,481 of 48,568
That extra long cable won't have volume adjustment. Also, never get cables with built in volume controls. They tend to degrade sound quality, have channel imbalances, etc.

I prefer having the device next to me. Im constantly adjusting volume, etc, depending on what im listening to.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #9,482 of 48,568
Quote:
I doubt I will get my hands on the E12, as im quite happy with the E17. I mainly have it for easier to drive headphones. The SA31 is huge and stationary, and I don't always wanna reach for the controls, so I happily just use a long usb cable for the E17 and keep next to me when watching tv shows, and overall general laziness.
I dont ever like carrying anything on the go, so a portable dac/amp is basically just transportable for me. Something I'd use for a laptop, and not for a pocket device.

On the go, I don't actually need the function of the E17 or E07K.

I got sent a new Oblanc gaming headphone half a month ago for review. Oblanc is a new company started under the brand of SYBA USA.... SYBA is a very large cheap OEM that mass produces a lot of stuff. If anyone is a realist and understands the world of cheap technology OEM and being a big player there, you would know that SYBA has quite the money. Go like "Oblanc" on Facebook and you will see that they have spent A LOT of money on marketing.
I was suprised they had so much money. 

Anway, the model I got the NC-1 is $30 and decent. It's sound musically is similar to a JVC HARX700. A bit  flat cardboard sounding(not a flat responce,I mean flat like flat soda) but with a HUGE mid bass bump and good bass extension. Obviously they designed it so that the bass from explosions shakes your heard. I can say that they succedded. The bass is very low quality and has no quality but really explodes. Soundstage, and spatial cue's and other stuff are close to non existent. 

However at $30, it comes with a Microphone, and splitter. The headphone's headphone jack itself is a triple pronged TRS jack 3.5mm as usual. Left, right, ground, mic. The typical ones. But the splitter seperates it for computers that have a seperate mic input. Which is quite a smart idea. The mic is not that good. It is actually a very UN-sensitive mic. Wearing it normally, it had a slightly hard time picking up my voice. Not too bad but anybody on the other end may have a hard time hearing you over the gun shots and airplanes flying overhead(BF3).

However with that said, at $30 with shipping already included in the price of that. I can't realy say its too bad or anything. I guess an overal score of 8/10 would be fine for the one I got. Because...$30. It is not fatiguing, and is decently comfortable. And is quite decent for music purposes at that price as well. I won't say recommend as I haven't tested enough consumer sub $100 headphones but I'll just say its fine I guess.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #9,483 of 48,568
Quote:
You could also use an Extra Long headphone cord... I have a 15foot 3.5mm extension my self and it's pretty nifty... since NOTHING is more tahn 12 feet from my pc in my room <3 

and yes xD love that E12 picture series u have for us, but again. If the E12 sounds like the E11... I'm not to interested 

I honestly don't think it will but hey, I won't be comparing them. I don't have the E11.

Quote:
That extra long cable won't have volume adjustment. Also, never get cables with built in volume controls. They tend to degrade sound quality, have channel imbalances, etc.
I prefer having the device next to me. Im constantly adjusting volume, etc, depending on what im listening to.

That reminds me of my SkullCandy days with my wire with built in volume control.

Same, I don't keep a static volume. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #9,485 of 48,568
Quote:
I dunno. 30 dollars gets you a KSC75 and some external mic.
biggrin.gif

oh right.
Yeah there is that......hmmmm

But these are closed. Mainstream gamers want closed. 

I'll do some music listening right now with them.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #9,486 of 48,568
I'd say the Sennheiser HD201, but then, that comfort... ugh.

I haaaaaate on screen keyboardz so much. Sigh...

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #9,487 of 48,568
Quote:
I'd say the Sennheiser HD201, but then, that comfort... ugh.
I haaaaaate on screen keyboardz so much. Sigh...

The un-mentionable HD201's have been mentioned to me. Unforgiveable. (and yes, I have a large amount of self saved emotion faces from various anime's)

Using them for gaming in my opinion would kill my ears before I finish the tutorial of the game. I have large ears by the way.

(Yes that is indeed the E07K ANDES in the background)

Listening to some music with them right now. I have already done so a while back of course but I forgot exactly how it sounded and I can only say not bad. One of the biggest problems for sub $30 headphones is fatigue physicaly due to weird comfort problems(even soft padded headphones can develop some weird ones) and sonic fatigue as well. These have none of that. However due to the pads used and their closed design, my ears do get hot. But then again, this happens with the majority of headphones when one first gets and or uses them anyway from what I find. 

Very smooth sound. It doesn't attempt to do things it can't do. For example some headphones destroy your ears by trying to give you that high freq and then failing or ones that try to give you an airy treble but then you end up with a harsh mess. Thankfully these don't try that.

Pulled back mid range. This was probably done to give a larger virtual soundstage to the user. The low freq doesn't exactly spill into the mids but the sub bass and mid bass do have slight interference with the mids. Not a lot. 

They aren't too hard to drive but not exactly very sensitive and easy either.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #9,488 of 48,568
Are they as big as they appear to be? They look nice, tbh. Pleather aside, they look comfy.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #9,489 of 48,568
I can confirm the "hiss" on the new mixamp. Mine seems to kick in at about 70% volume and gets loud at about 90%. I listen at about 20% while gaming, even competitively. And up to 50% watching movies. So i won't be hearing this hiss in and of my applications....

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #9,490 of 48,568
Quote:
Are they as big as they appear to be? They look nice, tbh. Pleather aside, they look comfy.

Nope haha. They are smaller than the Q701's if that is the question.
Comparison pic:

Taking them off with audio playing I have to admit....these 50mm drivers produce sound that is as loud as if they were open headphones after taking them off. Seriously...

You can see the plushy top headband in the first pic just above and the actual pads here. Even with my big ears, they fit my ears in it so they are over ears. My ears don't touch the driver shield so its fine.

A bit of pressure is situated on the top of my head. I'm going to guess due to design. No matter how I place it, I get it. That is a bit sad.

Now that I am listening to hip hop and Rap I gotta say. These actually sound better with pop. And not with rap. Especially if it is bass heavy.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #9,491 of 48,568
Quote:
I dunno what Monoprice was thinking with this obnoxiously thick 3.5mm cables. It's unnecessary and finicky, in that it just doesn't fit a lot of inputs. They need a straight cable version of this... with some strain relief:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021818&p_id=9564&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

They have a straight version of that, sort of:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021816&p_id=9764&seq=1&format=2

Looks good to me. 

They also have new slimmer dual RCA to 3.5mm cables that look good.  JDS Labs actually sells the exact same cable on their site as an optional interconnect:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021817&p_id=9767&seq=1&format=2

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #9,493 of 48,568
Lol, so...unorthodox?

Okay, so im here at work messing with the KSC35 and 75. No matter how I slice it, the KSC35 is definitely superior, even with the KSC75 clips. Last time I tried the comparison, I hadn't really bent the KSC75 clips, and the KSC35 sits further away that the 75 with the 75's clips.

Now that the metal is bent and the 35s are closer... I must say, they are definitely worthwhile over the 75s. Warmer, fuller, and nicely balanced. I think they still sound better with the less comfy 35 clips, but they best the 75 regardless of which clips I put on the 75. The 35s with the 75 clips sounds more balanced than the stock 35 plastic clips, though with a smidge less bass presence.

In short, the KSC75's clips are not great in stock form. You absolutely must bend them inward, to put the drivers closer to your ears, or you lose a bit of SQ and bass especially.

The 75s with the 35's clips sounds a bit congested. I'd say, stick to the 75's stock clips.

So, again, the KSC35 is undoubtedly better with either clips, you just have to mess with the 75's clips a bit to get them to sound proper.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #9,494 of 48,568
For those that game in stereo (Yuck!) I occasionally see this XJacKer thing which is some sort of stereo amp for xbox 360.  The website is really annoying though, and to "ExTREME!!!!" for my eyes.  There always shouting at you in the product description.

It reminds me of this > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs

Quote:

1. "Offers a dynamic range so wide that it's beyond human hearing (5Hz~50kHz @ 32 Ohms)"

2. NEW! Fully-adjustable bass boost delivers all the bass you can handle! Because all your bass are belong to you!

spacer.gif
  1. COMPARISON "You gotta be kidding. There is simply no comparison! If you can find something better in both function AND value amongst other the other gaming amps out there, then go for it! BTW, that ain't gonna happen."

The website is so annoying that it puts me off from trying to figure out what the hell it is (the pictures suck on the website).

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #9,495 of 48,568
I think they contacted me a while back, and wanted to send me one of those for review, but I declined because you know I dont game in stereo, and couldn't form a valid opinion on them. Better to decline than to try and play in a way I never do. Im as much a rookie in stereo gaming as anyone else. Very little experience, aside from when I play on my portable systems.

Which is another reason why the SLYR's mixer isnt gonna do me much good. The Mixer has a 3.5mm input, so it should work with all types of standard headphones, not just the SLYR. You'd need a Y cable for audio+mic, which isnt supplied with the SLYR. It should work like the X Jacker, though I think the SLYR's mixer isnt really an amp. I have to check.

Btw, thanks for the 3.5mm cable link. Dunno how I missed that. I actually own the 3.5mm to RCA monoprice cable, which is the one I use fo the ODAC to the SA-31.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back