Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #9,391 of 48,562
I get called a jerk, and an ass all the time. Thats what happens when youre a bit too blunt with opinions. :D
That and messages through the internet tend to be taken with unintended perceived inflection. I sound serious even when im joking, so I have to literally add emotis here or there so people understand that im not being serious. :frowning2:
People are pretty easily offended on the webz. :/
Any friend of chuunibyou is a friend of mine. Rant on my friend :)

Your opinion is yours. You never said they were the word of absolute anything

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #9,392 of 48,562
Dec 5, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #9,393 of 48,562
now Astro is saying mid-December for the standalone mixamp.  this is getting ridiculous.

Maybe I'll just give up waiting and get the DSS2.  I'll be mostly using a bluetooth mic for chat anyway.  Although it would be nice to have wired chat as an option (not to mention official dolby headphone processing).  Is there really no way to chat through a dss2 without using a turtle beach headset?

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #9,394 of 48,562
Thanks... I'm already leaning towards the DT990 from your review and other comments here. My next question is around amping it. I'm not going to be using voice chat much initially, so do i need to amp it? I've gone through this thread and I think you and others have noted that as long as you turn the headset volume down, there is enough juice in the mixamp to run the DT990 well enough (250ohm version I'm talking). THe reason I ask is I'm already a bit over budget and I'd like to avoid getting an amp now if I can. But I don't want to be stuck with a pair of headphones that suck unless I get the amp.

TLDR Will the bass and sound quality still be excellent without the amp, if I'm not using an E9 or equivalent amp?

edit: woops this was supposed to be in reply to MLE

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #9,395 of 48,562
Quote:
I think the overall quality and ability to reveal on any of those three would easily put your Logitech speakers to shame... Bass might not be as bone rattling but it'll be more detailed and deeper, there's always other headphones if you're a total basshead.

That's what I'm hoping. At the end of my z5500's life, I wasn't using it that much because of the living situation. It was much more usable when I was studying and at home :) So I'm hoping a really flash pair of headphones will be a big step up. I'm using HD25s (DJ headphones) right now...really not designed for gaming or movies at all.

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #9,396 of 48,562
Quote:
  also, hearing your own voice with the new mixamp is an improvement over the older model which was suppose to do that but it didn't hardly do it unless your mic was right next to your mouth.  They do this because your game draws out your ability to hear your own voice, you tend to yell.  If the mic was less sensitive then i'm down for that as all my friends in my parties have turtle beaches and they all saying i'm yelling because they have their chat volume set to what is good for turtle beaches.  If anything this is better for me because now i'm at a matched level as the other people in my parties.

Improvement for some. Right.

Quote:
think of lpcm as a thick straw.  It is capable of sending uncompressed but if it's not fed uncompressed then you won't get uncompressed.  Your search for 24/192 is in the right direction for music and movies, unfortunately like we've been trying to tell you, games are just compressed audio.  Some more than others. how much detail you looking for out of a video game anyways lol.  

Right. That's with anything. Uncharted is capable of PCM. I'm pretty sure BF3 is too with 5.1. Who is we? Are games compressed? Or is the sound generated? The most detail I can :)
Quote:
detail and realism as most of the sounds are artificially produced anyways.

Right, but not always. MW3 and BF3 are totally different sounding.

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #9,397 of 48,562
Quote:

Raising and lowering levels of sound between the two sides? That makes it sound like a simple crossfeed, and binaural is so much more than that. Note my mention of Head-Related Transfer Functions (HRTFs) whenever talking about binaural mixes. It's the HRTF simulation that makes it binaural and not just a dumb crossfeed.

And those recordings are too realistic for video games? I never thought I'd hear about anyone complaining about that sort of thing before. If anything, proper binaural audio in games really adds to the immersion for me, like I'm really there. It's also a very handy competitive advantage. (How many times have I used the phrase "aural wallhack" on here? I lost count...)

Oh, and speaking of CRTs, I still find it funny how this decade-old Sony GDM-FW900 sitting in front of me still wipes the floor with every single display made after it for gaming. Of course, that's a professional aperture-grille CRT monitor capable of handling 2304x1440 at 80 Hz and lower resolutions up to 160 Hz, being Sony's top-of-the-line monitor for a cool $2,500 back then, not the cheap shadow mask SDTVs everyone thinks of.

Still, it's a damn shame that CRTs still haven't been surpassed as gaming monitors, with their combination of no input lag, high refresh rates (for smoother motion), perfect viewing angles (something even the best LCD types aren't capable of, especially in the blacks), deep blacks, and total lack of native resolutions, which is nice for those of us who still like to play old games that don't go as high resolution-wise. Some technologies might do a few things better, but suffer greatly in other areas.

Correct, the Smyth Realiser is simulating a 5.1/7.1 theater system in the end. It just happens to be really good at it because it allows you to profile it using in-ear microphones and whatever theater you can set it up in for a test recording, but it's still just 7.1 at the most. You also can't profile only HRTFs with it, just a PRIR (Personalized Room Impulse Response, as they call it) because it's also recording all the other qualities of the theater you're in, like the speakers and the room acoustics.

I thought the too realistic bit was funny as well. Right. No thank youuu. Neat though.

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #9,398 of 48,562
Thanks... I'm already leaning towards the DT990 from your review and other comments here. My next question is around amping it. I'm not going to be using voice chat much initially, so do i need to amp it? I've gone through this thread and I think you and others have noted that as long as you turn the headset volume down, there is enough juice in the mixamp to run the DT990 well enough (250ohm version I'm talking). THe reason I ask is I'm already a bit over budget and I'd like to avoid getting an amp now if I can. But I don't want to be stuck with a pair of headphones that suck unless I get the amp.

TLDR Will the bass and sound quality still be excellent without the amp, if I'm not using an E9 or equivalent amp?

edit: woops this was supposed to be in reply to MLE

It will sound pretty good with the Mixamp alone, but I advise you to save up for an amp later on in the future. Even a Fiio E11 would help. E9/E9K would be better.

If not using voice chat, I wouldn't worry about amping it more for NOW.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #9,399 of 48,562
So...amusing777,

Were you able to find a mic solution that works when using a receiver? The one you linked to (Steelseries) is out of stock. I'm thinking that perhaps you might be able to use a y-splitter. Although that will probably negate the advantage of game sound/home audio mixing on the fly. Nevertheless you can change that in the menu settings and find one that suits you. At least I would imagine.

I'm looking at this as a long tern investment. If I'm going to pay upwards to $500 for a solution I'd like it to last as long as possible. The next generation of consoles is just around the corners, and with HDMI being capable of outputting higher quality audio I don't know how long optical connections will be viable.

Let me know how your hunt ends. Like you said, we're in the same predicament.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #9,400 of 48,562
Quote:
So...amusing777,

Were you able to find a mic solution that works when using a receiver? The one you linked to (Steelseries) is out of stock. I'm thinking that perhaps you might be able to use a y-splitter. Although that will probably negate the advantage of game sound/home audio mixing on the fly. Nevertheless you can change that in the menu settings and find one that suits you. At least I would imagine.

I'm looking at this as a long tern investment. If I'm going to pay upwards to $500 for a solution I'd like it to last as long as possible. The next generation of consoles is just around the corners, and with HDMI being capable of outputting higher quality audio I don't know how long optical connections will be viable.

Let me know how your hunt ends. Like you said, we're in the same predicament.

I thought we might have been! :) Yes, I could use a Y-splitter, or EDIT: wait for them to stock more in January. Pair that with a "Modmic" from Antlion, and I'm good to go! Yup, it's pretty handy! Well, in some games maybe, but with a game like BF3, there's just the master audio volume, nothing else. Turning down the master volume does not turn down the incoming chat volume though, so it can be used like that. I am as well. Same here. Yup, that's right. I'm going to buy a used/refurb receiver to go along with this. Hopefully I've answered your questions :) Everyone has been helpful to me here, so I'm glad I'm able to offer something in return. EDIT: Page 294 of this thread discussed the audio mixer a bit. http://slickdeals.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-4070734.html <<< This talks about the "interference/hiss" of it, but it seems the problem is mainly with PC's, not consoles, and if it is with consoles... http://faq.steelseries.com/questions/198/What+can+cause+my+Audiomixer+to+emit+a+buzzing+or+static+noise+in+my+headset?  <<< So, all in all, I don't think I'll have a problem with it.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #9,401 of 48,562

It's not available in North American but it is in the international (EU) website, go figure.

But let me get one thing straight, you plug the USB end to the PS3 and the 3.5 mm jack to the audio source right (in this case the A/V receiver) right?

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #9,402 of 48,562
Quote:
It's not available in North American but it is in the international (EU) website, go figure.

I know =/ Is there no alternative to this thing?

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #9,403 of 48,562
Quote:
I know =/ Is there no alternative to this thing?

Well... there's always the mixamp  
tongue_smile.gif

Wait, do they (Steelseries EU) even ship to USA?

...apparently not

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #9,404 of 48,562
Edit: Nope, more stock in January for U.S. peeps.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #9,405 of 48,562
Quote:
Shouldn't be an issue unless you use a crappy extension or a ridiculously long one...

Quote:
Anytime the wire is separated, these will be a loss of audio quality, but I wouldn't worry about it too much as the signal itself for most games isn't going to be top-notch. That being said the Q701s come with 2 cables, long and ridiculously long.... (3 meter and 6 meter), so unless you're really far, or your setup is in another room, you shouldn't have a need for an extension.

The reason I was asking, you two, is not because I'd be sticking it into an extender, but into that Steelseries Audio Mixer thing, which is kinda like an extender of sorts. Thanks for the answer though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back