Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #9,166 of 48,562
Quote:
Which is more suitable to be used with a newest Sound Blaster Z, beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition (600 Ohms) or HiFiMAN HE-400?

Remembering that this sound card has an amplifier capable of handling with 600-Ohm-headphones (according to Creative).

Wonder how good the Sound Blaster Z is at driving 600-Ohm headphones?

and I'm going to guess(?) the HE-400 is better for over all sound quality.

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #9,168 of 48,562
Quote:
Thank you.

So, for an HE-400, should the Sound Blaster Z drive it without complaints?

The HE-400 can be considered an excellent headphone for gaming, although the DT 990 is better?

As the HE-400 is only 38-Ohms, chances are it's easier to drive then the DT990 600-Ohm.
Never seen a review on the HE-400 that says it hard to drive.

For questions about driving the HE-400, maybe ask here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-review

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #9,169 of 48,562
[size=10pt]The question is DT 990 seems to be more gaming-friendly than HE-400 due to its one sided cable, velour pads for comfort, positional sound, etc. but the need for amplification is an against. I'd what to leave an external amplifier.[/size]

[size=10pt]If Sound Blaster Z was able to drive the DT 990 600-ohm, it'd perfect for gaming even we knowing sound quality of HE-400 is bigger.[/size]

[size=10pt]However MLE says the HE-400's comfort is better than one of DT 900 and that both are very similar in terms of competitive gaming.[/size]

[size=10pt]If he is right, so HE-400 would be better because it doesn't need an external amp when we have got SB Z. Is it right?[/size]

[size=10pt]My doubt falls over which from them is a better buy for gaming (not what is simplistically best for gaming in terms of competitive games).[/size]

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #9,171 of 48,562
Quote:
Sorry but i need help what is the best portable amp ?

and best over the ear headphone for it ?

I like to think the Fiio E11 is a good portable headphone amplifier ($51).

What would be your budget for over the ear headphones?
I'm assuming you will use closed headphone to block outside noise?

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #9,172 of 48,562
Quote:
[size=10pt]The question is DT 990 seems to be more gaming-friendly than HE-400 due to its one sided cable, velour pads for comfort, positional sound, etc. but the need for amplification is an against. I'd what to leave an external amplifier.[/size]

[size=10pt]If Sound Blaster Z was able to drive the DT 990 600-ohm, it'd perfect for gaming even we knowing sound quality of HE-400 is bigger.[/size]

[size=10pt]However MLE says the HE-400's comfort is better than one of DT 900 and that both are very similar in terms of competitive gaming.[/size]

[size=10pt]If he is right, so HE-400 would be better because it doesn't need an external amp when we have got SB Z. Is it right?[/size]

[size=10pt]My doubt falls over which from them is a better buy for gaming (not what is simplistically best for gaming in terms of competitive games).[/size]

How about.
CreativeTitanium HD PCI-E, sometimes sells for $150, cheaper for used Titanium HD on eBay.

O2 (Objective 2) portable headphone amplifier ($155), also works fine as desktop.
Might find cheaper for a used one, eBay or Head-Fi  "Amplifiers for Sale" thread.

DT990 Premium 600-Ohm, best price ($224) from ProAudioStar on eBay.

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #9,173 of 48,562
What happened to this review???
You don't seem to be answering you PM's either..

Quote:
Will do.

I went Q701 mainly based on MLE review of them AND the big factor that I have an accommodation with my work that gives me the Q701s at a nice discount - otherwise I would have went with or at least tried out the K series.

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #9,174 of 48,562
Hmm I might be back to the drawing table then. I would be using these for gaming/movies pretty strictly. Yes music would be played but through a L9 on the mixamp so the quality would be degraded. I am going to look at more reviews of Phillips X1 and DT770pro (Since I think the 600ohms are grossly overpriced in Canada.). Maybe a Mad Dog but I am like you in the fact I realllllly dislike pleather. I know my HM5 pads are pleather but they are on my CALs. Since they fit I might order some Shure 940 pads for fun. If anything I can put them on my HM5s and hope to hell it fixes the weird sound signature on them. Next to my other headphones I think they are pretty horrid.

HM5s I could never recommend to anyone. The bass doesn't extend as far and as deep as the CALs, They don't have the overall clarity of the CALs or the DT990. The mids are the most present thing yet feel distant. So you can imagine what the rest of the sound signature sounds like. I think they are awful for the price. If you were using the Jaycar branded ones for 70 bucks then maybe they are worth the price but again why would you get them when you could wait for a sale on the CALs and spend a couple extra bucks on some pads if they are to small for your ears. Again this is strictly my opinions.

You're overthinking how much the 990s are better than the HE400. They have an edge on positional cues, and air. That's it. The HE400 blows the DT990 away in every other way, and gives them a run for their money in those areas anyways. You'd be making a mistake by choosing the DT990 over the HE400 if you can spring for the HE400. The sound quality is in another league.

Remember, anything I give an 8 to is GREAT. Meaning you won't be gaining much in positional cues by going with the 990s over the HE400, but gain a big leap in SQ by going with the HE400.

[SIZE=10pt]The question is DT 990 seems to be more gaming-friendly than HE-400 due to its one sided cable, velour pads for comfort, positional sound, etc. but the need for amplification is an against. I'd what to leave an external amplifier.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]However MLE says the HE-400's comfort is better than one of DT 900 and that both are very similar in terms of competitive gaming.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]If he is right, so HE-400 would be better because it doesn't need an external amp when we have got SB Z. Is it right?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]My doubt falls over which from them is a better buy for gaming (not what is simplistically best for gaming in terms of competitive games).[/SIZE]

Uhh, people who buy the HE400 here ALWAYS buy the hifiman velour pads as well, as it adds sound quality AND comfort. I don't know anyone who uses the pleather on the HE400.

And yes, the HE400 is easier to drive than the DT990/600 by a LOT, but they still need amping to get the best out of them. Planar magnetic headphones love amping.

The question of which one is better for gaming is taken too strongly. Both are GREAT. You ONLY need GREAT. One great headphone for gaming isn't going to outdo another GREAT headphone for gaming by a significant amount. Only when I directly compare would I be like "Yeah the 990 has a slight advantage". In reality, both will be well suited. The 990 might be slightly better for gaming use, but the HE400 is a very noticeable leap in sound quality over the 990.

It's not like 990 would help me get a kill that the HE400 couldn't. They both would perform the same duties. The 990 just has more soundstage and air, due to a thinner sound. For example, remember, the AD700 is a very dry, thin sounding headphone. So would you choose the AD700 over the HE400? I sure as hell wouldn't. Yes, the AD700 is a competitive gaming beast, but the enjoyment factor is far below that of the HE400. The same could be said of the 990 to a lesser extent. It's thinner, and dry compared to the very natural, and engaging tone of the HE400.

I initially chose the 990 over the HE400 lasyt time, because the DT990 had a bigger bass presence. But I lost a lot of SQ by downgrading that way. Now that I have the HE400 again, I have no idea what I was on when I made that decision. The HE400 is an honest to goodness, amazing headphone suited practically for all purposes.

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #9,176 of 48,562
Quote:
How about.
CreativeTitanium HD PCI-E, sometimes sells for $150, cheaper for used Titanium HD on eBay.

O2 (Objective 2) portable headphone amplifier ($155), also works fine as desktop.
Might find cheaper for a used one, eBay or Head-Fi  "Amplifiers for Sale" thread.

DT990 Premium 600-Ohm, best price ($224) from ProAudioStar on eBay.

[size=10pt]Great! Thank you.[/size]

[size=10pt]I already had thought about that. I live in Brazil and is hard to get O2 from JDS Labs (this is what I know that produce it. Now I see that you suggest ebay. Sorry).[/size]

[size=10pt]I don't speak English so many apologies for my bad text. What I meant is I'd like avoid an external amplifier, but your suggestion is very interesting.[/size]

[size=10pt]So do you think DT 990 is worth for gaming? Is HE-400 not an option when you think of great experience in competitiveness?[/size]

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #9,177 of 48,562
Quote:
(...)

Uhh, people who buy the HE400 here ALWAYS buy the hifiman velour pads as well, as it adds sound quality AND comfort. I don't know anyone who uses the pleather on the HE400.
And yes, the HE400 is easier to drive than the DT990/600 by a LOT, but they still need amping to get the best out of them. Planar magnetic headphones love amping.
The question of which one is better for gaming is taken too strongly. Both are GREAT. You ONLY need GREAT. One great headphone for gaming isn't going to outdo another GREAT headphone for gaming by a significant amount. Only when I directly compare would I be like "Yeah the 990 has a slight advantage". In reality, both will be well suited. The 990 might be slightly better for gaming use, but the HE400 is a very noticeable leap in sound quality over the 990.
It's not like 990 would help me get a kill that the HE400 couldn't. They both would perform the same duties. The 990 just has more soundstage and air, due to a thinner sound. For example, remember, the AD700 is a very dry, thin sounding headphone. So would you choose the AD700 over the HE400? I sure as hell wouldn't. Yes, the AD700 is a competitive gaming beast, but the enjoyment factor is far below that of the HE400. The same could be said of the 990 to a lesser extent. It's thinner, and dry compared to the very natural, and engaging tone of the HE400.
I initially chose the 990 over the HE400 lasyt time, because the DT990 had a bigger bass presence. But I lost a lot of SQ by downgrading that way. Now that I have the HE400 again, I have no idea what I was on when I made that decision. The HE400 is an honest to goodness, amazing headphone suited practically for all purposes.

Wow. I just saw this. Thank you for reply. Too long I'm going to translate it into Portuguese and, if necessary, back up here. 

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #9,178 of 48,562
MLEnvy, 

now I read everything you said. It was very enlightening. It was precisely what I had deduced after reading your analysis and comments from colleagues.

Can I say that there is no way to go wrong with the HE-400, also when thinking about gaming?

I'd buy the following: HiFiMAN HE-400 and HiFiMAN Velour Earpads

What is your guess on the SB Z? Will its 600-ohm-capable amp be able to extract the best sound of the HE-400?

Thank you and everyone else who has answered me.

SORRY FOR TRIPLE POST

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #9,179 of 48,562
Quote:

[size=10pt]Great! Thank you.[/size]

[size=10pt]I already had thought about that. I live in Brazil and is hard to get O2 from JDS Labs (this is what I know that produce it. Now I see that you suggest eBay. Sorry).[/size]

[size=10pt]I don't speak English so many apologies for my bad text. What I meant is I'd like avoid an external amplifier, but your suggestion is very interesting.[/size]

[size=10pt]So do you think DT 990 is worth for gaming? Is HE-400 not an option when you think of great experience in competitiveness?[/size]

Brazil, I stayed in Rio & Buzios for a week.

Ti-HD (Titanium HD), O2, DT990 is just one suggestion.

The HE-400 & SB-Z (Sound Blaster Z) would seem to also be a good choice.

As I have no idea on what can be shipped to you in Brazil, All I can do is make random guesses.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #9,180 of 48,562
The HE400 sounds good even off the E17, so I'm sure that soundcard would be fine. Planars don't go crazy with output impedance mismatches, so anything with power shoud be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back