Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 22, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #9,151 of 48,566
Quote:
I asked those questions to help me make decent gaming audio setup so please answer me .

whose better headphone DT990 or HE400 ?  and  are they on the same level ?

i need overall good soundcard for movies and music  and speciallly for gaming ?

do i need amp with the soundcard and the headphone ?

is it true that there is 5.1 and 7.1 headphone/headsets ? 

and whose better headset or headphone ?

1. No clue I haven't owned both. I do like my DT990pro a great deal, but I am dying to save up for the HE400 and purchase them.
2. I would ask in Nameless PC guide thread. The PC crew is over there and they have a lot better clue. I am going to say if you aren't going to buy an amp then yes you will want something like the ASUS STX, If you have an amp to add in the chain then no if your onboard (has Dolby headphone) doesn't have any static ground issues, if it does then just get a Asus DG for the Dac portion and to have the ability to have dolby headphone.
3. See 2
4. Yes and some people do enjoy them, Those people usually can't use Dolby Headphone or CMSS cause their hearing won't translate positional audio well. There was a reviewer over on the MLG boards that had this issue.
5. That is up to you and your needs. Usually headphones though. Exceptions would be Sennhieser PC360, and Beyerdynamic.MMX300. These headsets are based on already available headphones on the market that are usually cheaper because you are not paying for the mic tech that is built in.

Not sure if that clears anything up for you or not.

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #9,152 of 48,566
For me the HE-400 is the better music headphone, for gaming though I'd prefer the DT990. Both HE-400 and HE-500 lack spaciousness and imaging like DT990, T90 and above.

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #9,153 of 48,566
I agree. The air and overall positioning is noticeably better for gaming. The sound quality of the HE400 is amazing, and they work fine for gaming, but the 990 is better suited.

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #9,154 of 48,566
WOW - my HD650's just turned up and yeah - they sounds great, but - now I know what you mean by the Sennheiser "clamp" MLE.

I was worried when I bought the 598's (from your review) but never had an issue - fitted like a glove from day 1, so I figured that maybe you just had a huge noggin :p.

Put the 650's on and within 20 mins I'm concentrating less on the sounds and more on the headphones :frowning2:

I'm sure (and very, very hopeful) that they will loosen up and start to be comfy, but WOW - it's honestly not easy listening at the moment.

I took them off an hour ago and can still feel the pressure -

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #9,155 of 48,566
Try to overextend the arms a bit, as in, wear them loose. That and try stretching them over books or something for a few days. Wider than your head.

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #9,156 of 48,566
Yeah - my box set of LOTR is now wearing them :)

I'm sure once the pads compress a bit and the band relaxes they will be fine -

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #9,157 of 48,566
I actually would remove the pads first while doing that.

I stretched them out quite a bit, like overstretched to hell over my SA-31 amp, just to make sure it was as loose as it could get. It's kinda hard to make a plastic headphone loosen up it's clamp though.

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #9,158 of 48,566
I went to beyerdynamic.com and i made a compare between the DT990/DT880/MMX300 they were the same at every thing except  that the DT990 and DT880 their Headphone frequency response was from 5-35000 bt the MMX300 Headphone frequency response was from 5-30000 and there is another thing there was difference in the OHM

1 - Am i going to feel that difference in the Headphone frequency response between DT990 and the MMX300 ?

2 - what is Headphone frequency response means ?

3 - what is the OHM means ?

4 - if i not going to buy soundcard with built in amp lik Asus STX then what type of amp to buy (their name) ?

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #9,159 of 48,566
Don't worry about those numbers. Those three headphones sound very different due to one being closed, one being semi open, and one being very open and bass and treble oriented.

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #9,161 of 48,566
I think the DT880 is weakest in terms of positional accuracy. The DT990 is very good at positinal cues. The MMX300 is basically a DT770 with a mic attached, and should be stellar for positional cues.

As for amps, I believe all of them need a desktop amp, contrary to popular belief that the 32ohm is easy to drive (it's not). The 250ohm is the only one that would get by with a portable amp like the E11, but still sounds better off a desktop amp. The 32ohm and 600ohm both want a desktop amp, but the 32ohm is more picky because it doesn't pair up well with amps that have more than 4 ohm output impedance (lots of desktop amps do, like the Fiio E9).

In short, I suggest 250ohm Beyers with a desktop amp. The high ohm makes it more versatile than the 32ohm, and they aren't as hard to drive as the 600ohm in both power needed, and volume level.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #9,162 of 48,566
Sorry but i dont know anything about amps so whose best from these amps with DT990 ( E11 , E9 , astro 5.8 ).

and if i have soundcard with built in amp like ASUS STX do i need desktop amp ?

whose better headphone with amp or headphone with decent soundcard  or both ?

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #9,163 of 48,566
Quote:
Sorry but I don't know anything about amps so whose best from these amps with DT990 ( E11 , E9 , Astro 5.8 ).

and if i have sound card with built in amp like ASUS STX do i need desktop amp ?

whose better headphone with amp or headphone with decent sound card  or both ?

If you already have the Asus Xonar Essence STX, then you do not need to buy a separate headphone amplifier.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #9,164 of 48,566
Which is more suitable to be used with a newest Sound Blaster Z, beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition (600 Ohms) or HiFiMAN HE-400?

Remembering that this sound card has an amplifier capable of handling with 600-Ohm-headphones (according to Creative).

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #9,165 of 48,566
Quote:
I agree. The air and overall positioning is noticeably better for gaming. The sound quality of the HE400 is amazing, and they work fine for gaming, but the 990 is better suited.

Hmm I might be back to the drawing table then. I would be using these for gaming/movies pretty strictly. Yes music would be played but through a L9 on the mixamp so the quality would be degraded. I am going to look at more reviews of Phillips X1 and DT770pro (Since I think the 600ohms are grossly overpriced in Canada.). Maybe a Mad Dog but I am like you in the fact I realllllly dislike pleather. I know my HM5 pads are pleather but they are on my CALs. Since they fit I might order some Shure 940 pads for fun. If anything I can put them on my HM5s and hope to hell it fixes the weird sound signature on them. Next to my other headphones I think they are pretty horrid.

HM5s I could never recommend to anyone. The bass doesn't extend as far and as deep as the CALs, They don't have the overall clarity of the CALs or the DT990. The mids are the most present thing yet feel distant. So you can imagine what the rest of the sound signature sounds like. I think they are awful for the price. If you were using the Jaycar branded ones for 70 bucks then maybe they are worth the price but again why would you get them when you could wait for a sale on the CALs and spend a couple extra bucks on some pads if they are to small for your ears. Again this is strictly my opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back