Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 21, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #9,136 of 48,562
Chime!
First of all, thank you SO much for the thread. The amount of work you've put into this is incredible. I know my question is probably not unique but I attempted to search and keep coming up with 3+ year old threads.

I currently run a JVC RX900 with Zalman clip on. I'd like to move to something a little better for me. Currently the tips of my ears will begin to hurt after extended sessions as they press against the driver cover (I think that's the right name). I'm first looking for something that will be a little deeper in the earcup. Right now I'm leaning towards Q701 or DT990, however I don't know if either of them have deeper ears than the RX900?

I would like a headphone that will allow me to feel the "engine rumble" in movies like Star Trek or when playing something like Mass Effect. The positional accuracy it provides takes a close second. I'm roughly looking at a $500ish budget stretched over the next odd months. I don't mind going over if it's going to REALLY pay off however I don't really need music type phones since it's about 20% of my usage at the computer.

Thank you in advance.

Having given a close friend a pair of JVC HA-RX900 (top pop modded), I can tell you that the Q701 are the first headphones I've used that are big and deep enough to rest on my head and leave my ears free. I find them VERY comfortable, especially after I wrapped the headband with a baby seatbelt-cover to cushion my thinning hair from the bumps, which only started to bother me between 1 and 2 hours if I let it rest in the same place.

I love the soundstage and emotional signature, and I really enjoy them for gaming. They have IMO an impressive rumble when called to do so, for example the anomalies in Metro 2033 sounded fantastic and really seemed to hit a subsonic WOAH! I should go back and play Mass Effect again now that I have these, but I'm having too much fun playing Halo 4 online at the moment.

I can't compare the Q701 to the DT990 from experience, but I've heard great things about booth headphones, and that the DT990 has an addictive bass level that doesn't defeat the rest of the sound spectrum.

2x consider a return policy, but I would add that both will probably please you with their high quality. Good luck!

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #9,137 of 48,562
Quote:
The Beyers have shallow ear cups. That is one of the most complaints they get. I'd get something else. If you truly have a $500 for this, I truly recommend the HE400 plus an E17. Well, thats over budget. Ok then. He400 plus hifiman velour pads, and an E11? The HE400 sounds fantastic off anything, and has that low rumble you want.

Damn you MLE I am so close to wanting to pull the trigger on the HE400. Time to start saving hardcore I guess.

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #9,139 of 48,562
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K702-65th-Anniversary-Edition/dp/B00A8LZ5GU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353503266&sr=1-1&keywords=k702+65th

:eek:

For $350... I'd bite. For $500... absolutely not.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #9,140 of 48,562
Wow. Thank you. I appreciate that. I will probably go for the HE400 then. I will be spreading this out over a couple months so I can afford everything. Hah. Thank you very much. I was leaning towards the DT990 but hearing about the earcups makes me nervous. I appreciate it. How does the HE400 pair up with a tube amp? I've never owned one but the typically described sound signature seems to match what I'm looking for. I'm thinking a Titanium X-Fi out to Headmagic A1 then to headphone?

EDIT: I've seen a similar comment about the Q701 headband needing some additional padding. May I assume that the HE400 does not have that issue and is fine out of the box?

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #9,141 of 48,562
I need very good audio gaming setup 4 my pc so please help me.

whose better headphone DT990 or D7000 ? are they on the same level ?

i need overall good soundcard for movies and music  and speciallly for gaming ?

do i need amp with the soundcard and the headphone ?

is it true that there is 5.1 and 7.1 headphone/headsets ?

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #9,142 of 48,562
If you've got the money, definitely go for the D7000.

Not really sure about soundcards...you've gotta wait fellow users more experiencend than me to get a proper answer.

And yes there are 5.1/7.1 headsets, but from what I know (and experienced) they all sound "meh".

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #9,143 of 48,562
Assuming you can even find the D7000 nowadays. And if you do, prepare to pay a pretty penny.

The D7000 has the best sound signature I have personally heard for both music and gaming. The HE400 comes close, but doesnt have the positional cues of the D7000.

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #9,145 of 48,562
Currently I'm using the hd595 w/claro halo as an amp. I originally bought the headphones for competitive halo 2 play, and such they're pretty old and quite beaten up from lans and daily use for the past seven years. Great build quality to last this long really. 

I'll be buying the new astro mixamp whenever they decide to open it up for individual sale. While I'm at it I'd like to get an upgrade for my old hd595. I do listen to music (a mix of classic rock/pop/inde), comfort is pretty important to me (I have a smaller head/kinda prone to ear fatigue) but ultimately I'm looking for some comfortable headphones that have great competitive performance and at least mediocre all around music performance for a price point of $300 (not set but 500 is too expensive). Currently I'm thinking about a k702/q701. Can a claro halo sound card drive the q701? Thoughts on other headphones?

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #9,146 of 48,562
I asked those questions to help me make decent gaming audio setup so please answer me .

whose better headphone DT990 or HE400 ? are they on the same level ?

i need overall good soundcard for movies and music  and speciallly for gaming ?

do i need amp with the soundcard and the headphone ?

is it true that there is 5.1 and 7.1 headphone/headsets ? 

and whose better headset or headphone ?

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #9,147 of 48,562
Quote:
Currently I'm using the hd595 w/claro halo as an amp. I originally bought the headphones for competitive halo 2 play, and such they're pretty old and quite beaten up from lans and daily use for the past seven years. Great build quality to last this long really. 

I'll be buying the new astro mixamp whenever they decide to open it up for individual sale. While I'm at it I'd like to get an upgrade for my old hd595. I do listen to music (a mix of classic rock/pop/inde), comfort is pretty important to me (I have a smaller head/kinda prone to ear fatigue) but ultimately I'm looking for some comfortable headphones that have great competitive performance and at least mediocre all around music performance for a price point of $300 (not set but 500 is too expensive). Currently I'm thinking about a k702/q701. Can a claro halo sound card drive the q701? Thoughts on other headphones?

See if you can have a try of the HD598's if you can. Extremely comfy for a small head, all the good points of the 595's with better clarity and soundstage (from what I've heard - haven't tried the 595's) and easy to drive.

Definitely fantastic for gaming, but also no slouch for music.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #9,148 of 48,562
I recently upgraded from the HD595 to DT990 Premium / 600 ohm, and I'm loving it. The bass is simply astounding. I find the DT990 just as comfortable if not a little more so.

I'd say if you're looking for something more energetic and fun, go with the DT 990. Otherwise the Q701 would probably be a more natural upgrade coming from the 595s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back