Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #8,551 of 48,562
Quote:
Hi, I've decided that I want an upgrade (currently have Turtle Beach X11's). I'm looking for a headphones under $90AUD that are suitable for gaming, music and the like. I've done a fair bit of research and am considering the ATH-AD300 since I found it for $60 including s&h and AKG K-240 for $90 s&h. Either of these better than the other? Also, any other recommendations?

What kind of music? Also is it competitive gaming? 

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #8,552 of 48,562
Quote:

What do you mean by static?  A constant hissing, or a scratchy noise when you move the potentiometer (volume knob)?

A constant hissing at anything above a certain volume level. I have the mixamp cranked all the way up, and my PC360 at ~75%. When I put the mixamp at ~75% and the PC360 at 100% I notice the same static. The static is there regardless if there is any inputs into the mixamp or not.

Quote:
Unfortunately there are very few a/v receivers that support dolby headphone. The ones that do are very expensive. Do you know of any cheap ones? 

As MLE stated before, you will most likely have to grab a used one. Most HK's before they went to the 4 digit naming this last refresh have Dolby Headphone. Some of the old Denon's have it, and a couple of Marantz's (SRx001, SRx002, SRx003 and SRx004). But you would want to check the manuals before purchasing to confirm.

Quote:
You can used receivers for just over $200, usually Harman Kardon, as they were the main ones to use Dolby Headphone (for a short while). Newer HK receivers have their own virtual surround. Don't know how it stacks up though.
http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-7-1-Channel-Receiver-Repeater/dp/B0016BGRX6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350733050&sr=8-2&keywords=harman+kardon+365

I'm going to test HK's "Harman Headphone" later this week when I have time. I'll post my thoughts after. I tried it briefly the other night and wasn't too impressed upon first try.

-Erik

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #8,553 of 48,562
Yeah, some of it is competitive, mostly competitive Tribes Ascend (nothing too serious), and hearing foot steps etc. isn't a priority in tribes. I mostly play FPS. I may occasionally play the odd indie game, RPG or RTS too. In regards to music, I listen to pretty much anything: rock, electronic, alt., classical, it honestly depends on the mood I'm in. I'm just looking for a well rounded, budget headphone which is comfortable, preferable open and over ear. Along the lines of the AD700, but with a little more bass. Or the closest thing to that within the budget.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #8,554 of 48,562
FUUUUU--, so I sold and shipped out the E17 today. I'm stuck with the Fiio D3 as my DAC. Problem? It's distorting treble like CRAZY. Why of all times did it decide to crap out NOW? I ordered the ODAC, and it should hopefully be here by the end of this next week... but that is many days too long. I don't even know What I'm gonna do without a DAc to feed my amp. The onboard soundcard is HORRIBLE. Sigh... I guess I'll have to plug in from the rear speaker out to the E09K's line in for now...edit: ugh... I can literally hear the veil. Also everything sound between my eyes. No soundstage. I must have a REALLY bad soundcard.

Dammit Fiio, I better get a replacement or something.

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #8,555 of 48,562
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10850&cs_id=1080910&p_id=9771&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

:eek:

Oh...Monoprice.

It's late and I have to sleep, but this one interests me as an alternative to the AX720 (for cheaper), assuming maybe we can get an adapter to allow use of the amp. It LOOKS like the headset is terminated into a 3.5mm jack if you look at the image with all the accessories, making this truly worth checking into. We can probably hook up any headphone. AGH. Dolby Headphone amp for $85, 'free headset', AND voice chat? HMMMMM...

If it has less hiss than the AX720, this WOULD be the one to get.

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #8,556 of 48,562
You could always cut the connector off of the included headset and wire it to a pair of 3.5mm TRS jacks.

Or I guess you'd need some sort of 6 pin din (I think that's what it is) to dual TRS adapter. I'm looking, but can't really find anything like it. I found a female 6 pin DIN to dual male TRS on the Tritton website, but that's the opposite of what you'd need.

Hmmm... you're right though. It looks like it shows a TRS in the picture, yet the amp shows some sort of 6 pin jacks. I wonder if they include an adapter of some sort. It's a very interesting kit for sure.

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #8,558 of 48,562
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10850&cs_id=1080910&p_id=9771&seq=1&format=1#largeimage
:eek:
Oh...Monoprice.
It's late and I have to sleep, but this one interests me as an alternative to the AX720 (for cheaper), assuming maybe we can get an adapter to allow use of the amp. It LOOKS like the headset is terminated into a 3.5mm jack if you look at the image with all the accessories, making this truly worth checking into. We can probably hook up any headphone. AGH. Dolby Headphone amp for $85, 'free headset', AND voice chat? HMMMMM...

Looks awesome! I may have to pick one up and give it a test run, that is CHEAP. If anyone snags one, let us know ASAP.

If it has a good processing circuit/dac (low noise), then this would be by far the best solution!

-Erik

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #8,559 of 48,562
Monoprice FTW!!

I'm surprised they ponied up for Dolby Headphone.

Quote:
"The Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) creates the necessary phasing of the audio signal to the headset to produce a clear and accurate 7.1 channel soundstage, which provides the necessary audible queues you need to excel at FPS gaming. The DAC also allows for separate volume control over each of the 8 audio channels, so you can adjust it for the perfect soundstage balance."

Not sure how you control that, as I didn't see enough knobs/buttons.

It looks like you hook up whatever headset to the breakaway cable, similar to the trittons.  The only difference is I think the monoprice breakaway wants a 4-pole combined mic/headphone plug - same as the mixamp.  You can actually see the 2.5mm xbox controller port on the side of the breakway cable.  AND, there is a voice volume control knob.  Nice one monoprice
biggrin.gif

Here are the decoder specs.  Not sure how they compare to others.  It does look physically beefier than the DSS....

Analog-to-Digital Converter Performance
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 102dB ("A" weighted at 48KHz)
Total Harmonic Distortion -90dB
Sampling Rate 32 ~ 96KHz
Digital-to-Analog Converter
Performance
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 106dB ("A" weighted at 48KHz)
Total Harmonic Distortion -97dB
Sampling Frequency 8 ~ 192 KHz

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #8,560 of 48,562
Just got off of Monoprice chat. They told me that the headset uses a proprietary jack (looks like a 6 pin din to me), and connects directly to the decoder box. He said that there is no way to connect other headphones to the decoder. I think he's wrong, as it looks like you can just connect any headphone to the volume module like chicolom said. Just throw in a TRRS Y splitter and I think it would work.

Who wants to buy one and be our guinea pig? lol

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #8,561 of 48,562
Quote:
eek.gif

Oh...Monoprice.

That is one ugly headset...but who cares about that part of the package? The decoder box looks really nice, and it supports Pro Logic IIx as well. About all you could ask for is DTS.

It looks like there's an adapter bundled with the system, so you don't need to worry about being locked into the bundled headset. Now if they'd just have two adapters, since it looks like the decoder box is designed to drive two headsets at once...

I have to admit, I'm a bit tempted by this, especially if the noise floor is low. (Never mind that I have both the SU-DH1 and Recon3D USB already...)

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #8,562 of 48,562
Someone should contact monoprice and tell them to also sell the decoder + cables separately from the headset.

wink.gif

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #8,564 of 48,562
The Q701 soundstage does improve slightly with an extra amp, but I would only expect this from a decent desktop amp.  I don't remember any improvements with the E9 even, and I checked it a few times, but when I hooked up the M-stage I had to do a double take to check the sound as it was a bit airier and wider sounding.  Don't expect the Q701, or just about any headphone for that matter, to reach AD700 size soundstage.  AD700 has the largest soundstage I've ever heard (you can check my profile for what I've heard), but its got some serious balance issues.

On the flip side, I wouldn't expect the AD700 to even come close to the Q701 on bass and overall signature balance.  You can boost it, yes, but it will never have the body and impact from headphones like the Q701 - which keep in mind has only a mild mid-bass hump.  Believe me, I've tried boosting the AD700 bass, and it definitely helps, but it still sounds a bit artificial and the quality and texture of the bass gets pretty homogenous after boosting.  The AD700's bass starts to all sound the same and comes from the same spot in the soundstage.

For me, the balance and naturalness of the Q701 is definitely worth the price difference.  The AD700 is great at what it does, but its weaknesses really show when you put against some fuller sounding headphones.  The treble sounds sibilant and grainy and the bass is sad :frowning2: .  The Q701 was what made me finally sell my AD700s, as I finally found something that had the best compromise I'd heard between soundstage and signature, to my ears.  I just don't think there's much out there that will keep the "AD700 staging but with some ~60Hz bass capabilities for under $200."  You will have to lose some soundstage. [Evshrug: that's basically what I said to the other guy] Honestly, I think the Q701 is the best bet for what you said your looking for - and it's what I would've recommend if you didn't already have it.  If the Q701 isn't doing it for you, the soundstages only get smaller from there.  The HD5xx are pretty darn large, and they also have more bass than the AD700 (less than the Q701 though).  Still smaller stage than the AD700.  The Beyer's I think are slightly  smaller than HD5xx and Q701.  The Q701 is just about the same size as the DT990, maybe slightly larger - but I prefer the positioning on the Q701.

Also, the jump from the Recon's THX to Dolby Headphone may be a better investment.  I can't really say as I haven't heard it, but MLE and Nameless are favoring the mixamp.

You could keep your eye on the AD700x and what not, but I'd be surprised if they're a huge improvement in bass over the current AD700.  They look even more open, and I think improvements in bass will come from the new pads sealing a bit more.

Chicolom,
I'm sorry, I used the wrong word... the soundstage is fine on the Q701, as far as sounds seeming to come from outside the head, what I meant to say was that the positional accuracy and realism to the surround sound positioning is majorly better... Like I hear what Mad mentioned as the rear sound positioning sounds like it's between my ears rather than behind me, front and sides are fine, but when I switch to the easier-to-drive AD700, the surround sound works much better and more evenly. Also, treble peaks are harsher. I wouldn't give it a percent difference, but it's like the difference between the effect working and a game-changer, and an effect that isn't really worth it. So if I'm only interested in using headphones for competitive gaming, and have other options for music and recreation, then I can't justify anything but the AD700, because of it's price and the fact that I've never heard a better headphone for competitive gaming.

Perhaps I didn't put enough emphasis on how much I prefer the Q701 for music... I LOVE LISTENING TO MUSIC WITH MY Q's! It's very musical, balanced, natural yet fun. It's everything I had hoped for in a headphone upgrade, and I spend more time listening to music and looking forward to music than ever before in my life. The baby seatbelt padding transformed the comfort of the headband. My only lingering area for improvement I want is that amp, not for volume but further dynamic muscle and hopefully that it will mate the Q's as adequately with the Recon3D as the recon can power the AD700 plugged straight in. This is revealed when I can do side-by-side comparisons. If the recon3D didn't work so well with the AD700, and I had actually felt impressed by the DSS demos I had heard (admittedly, with the DSS2 and Turtle Beach headphones), I would know that it's all the Recon3D's fault. My guess is that, mostly, the Recon3D's amp isn't enough for the harder-to-drive Q701s.

I think the Tube amp should be in a similar class as your M-Stage, though obviously yours is a Solid State, so your impressions in the improvement your amp made over cheaper choices are of much interest to me. Thanks! Mad's observations on going from the E17 amp to a better, more powerful desktop amp with the different Beyers are also very encouraging.

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #8,565 of 48,562
Quote:
Chicolom,
I'm sorry, I used the wrong word... the soundstage is fine on the Q701, as far as sounds seeming to come from outside the head, what I meant to say was that the positional accuracy and realism to the surround sound positioning is majorly better... Like I hear what Mad mentioned as the rear sound positioning sounds like it's between my ears rather than behind me, front and sides are fine, but when I switch to the easier-to-drive AD700, the surround sound works much better and more evenly. I wouldn't give it a percent difference, but it's like the difference between the effect working and a game-changer, and an effect that isn't really worth it.

Perhaps I didn't put enough emphasis on how much I prefer the Q701 for music... I LOVE LISTENING TO MUSIC WITH MY Q's! It's very musical, balanced, natural yet fun. It's everything I had hoped for in a headphone upgrade, and I spend more time listening to music and looking forward to music than ever before in my life. The baby seatbelt padding transformed the comfort of the headband. My only lingering area for improvement I want is that amp, not for volume but further dynamic muscle and hopefully that it will mate the Q's as adequately with the Recon3D as the recon can power the AD700 plugged straight in.

I think the Tube amp should be in a similar class as your M-Stage, though obviously yours is a Solid State, so your impressions in the improvement your amp made over cheaper choices are of much interest to me. Thanks! Mad's observations on going from the E17 amp to a better, more powerful desktop amp with the different Beyers are also very encouraging.

Oh, OK.

Have you tried using Dolby Headphone?  Instead of buying a 2nd amp for the Recon, I would first spend money on a Dolby Headphone decoder.  AKA improve the source first, before just trying to amp the Recon.  I mean, MLE said the Recon's THX surround is about 75% as nice as Dolby Headphone.  I would expect more positioning improvement from a better surround decoder (Dolby Headphone
biggrin.gif
) then double amping the Recon.

There is definitely a difference between a portable amp and a desktop amp for the Q701.  But the better the source you have, the more noticeable the difference and vice a versa.  For music this means you need a decent DAC in order to even benefit from an external desktop amp with the Q701.  Hooking an E9 up to my laptops HP out still sounded about the same - not much improvement.  Hooking it up top the E10's DAC was a huge improvement though.  For gaming, I'm thinking it would make sense to invest in something nicer than the Recon (improve the source) before you start investing in amps.  I hope that makes sense...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back