Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 19, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #8,536 of 48,562
Quote:
First off what headphones do you plan on getting?
I use the HD 558's and I personally feel there an awesome set of cans for the money, though I can see why bass heads won't like them.
And you don't need to go though any settings for it to play through the headset though it will play from the speakers at the same time.
Also how are the X41's? I personally gave up on turtle beach after how bad my PX21's broke.

The HD558's were my first audiophile headphones. Got rid of them after a month. Just found them boring and dreary. Lacked the bass I wanted for gaming, and the dark veil just killed my music. Audio Technica just announced the new Air series headphones so if they fix the bass then I'll be picking up the AD900x.

The X41's are terrible. You get a constant hiss because of the wireless, and there's a lot of distortion, especially with explosions. The only reason I still have them is because the dock it comes with allows you to use dolby 7.1 with any headphone, so I use my Beyers when I'm not in a chat. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #8,537 of 48,562
The HD558's were my first audiophile headphones. Got rid of them after a month. Just found them boring and dreary. Lacked the bass I wanted for gaming, and the dark veil just killed my music. Audio Technica just announced the new Air series headphones so if they fix the bass then I'll be picking up the AD900x.

The X41's are terrible. You get a constant hiss because of the wireless, and there's a lot of distortion, especially with explosions. The only reason I still have them is because the dock it comes with allows you to use dolby 7.1 with any headphone, so I use my Beyers when I'm not in a chat. 

Shame you didn't like the 558's, there are my first audiophile headphone's as well and I never found them boring to listen to, ah well to each his own I guess.

Haha I had a feeling the X41's woulden't be that great. Seems like giving up on the brand was a good move for me.

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #8,538 of 48,562
Quote:
Shame you didn't like the 558's, there are my first audiophile headphone's as well and I never found them boring to listen to, ah well to each his own I guess.
Haha I had a feeling the X41's woulden't be that great. Seems like giving up on the brand was a good move for me.

I've bought 2 turtlebeach products. Both of them hiss like crazy. When I first had them I thought they were brilliant, but I had never used headphones for gaming before then. 

I probably didn't like the 558's because of my tastes in sound. Other people seem to enjoy them so don't take my comments too seriously :)

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #8,539 of 48,562
So in a few weeks I'm gonna get the money to build my own PC (been wondering how the world of PC gaming is for some time now) and I want to know should I get a sound card or just wait for the new astro mix amp, or just go for an EG like the FiiO amp's?

Get a soundcard. A MixAmp can't do virtual surround for PC unless your soundcard (or on board chip) pushes out a surround signal in the first place. If you're gaming on PC exclusively, just get a soundcard that can handle virtual surround AND amp your headphones. Less wires. Same, if not better, sound quality as a MixAmp.

What is a EG?

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #8,540 of 48,562
Welcome to the thread, Raleigh.

As others have stated, something like the Mixamp (comes with a Y cable that allows you to use a headphone + external mic). I personally use a very cheap mic that works very well for me. (Its on the first post).

The Mixamp will allow you to hear everyone chatting directly. Very useful, and you can adjust volume on the fly.

Man, I spent all morning rearranging the room again. I literally have my computer desk next to my bed. I sit on my bed as if it was the computer chair. This is one of those times I wish my TV wasn't so big. I don't have a lot of wall space, and paired with my king sized bed... well, its cramped in there. Its a necessary evil as I don't see myself lugging the SA-31 between rooms, lol.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #8,541 of 48,562
Just got a replacement pair of the new A40s...Good news! They no longer cut out when the cord gets tugged to the side! Guess I got a faulty pair. I'm fairly happy with them. They don't blow my mind with the quality of them, though. It wasn't anything like my first listening experience with my M50s :D

I also noticed the Mixamp produces a lot of hiss if you push the volume past 60%. I'm guessing this is normal? I don't have much experience with the old Mixamp. It sounds a lot like my Turtle Beach hiss, but not quite as loud. You don't hear it once you get into the action. 

I'll probably end up returning these. Most people praise these for their comfort, but they just don't sit well on my head. The earpads are itchy to me, which is a huge annoyance. I also really don't like the headband. It's comfortable, but when you rest the around your neck, their giant plastic wings will jab into me. For some reason, Astro seems to really like sharp edges. 

I might see if I can sell just the headsets for a decent price, and keep the Mixamp. 

Also, really excited for Audio Technica's refreshed AIR series. I'm worried about the headband though. I've heard they don't fit well with small heads, and every pair of headphones I've worn, I have to make them as small as possible to make them fit. But they look SICKKKK.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #8,542 of 48,562
Quote:
Hey MLE. I saw your posts on the engadget website (recognized the pascal picture right away). You mentioned that it's much better to get a headphone + seperate mic rather than a gaming headset which is true. Were you referring to pc gaming only though? Is there any way to use a headphone with a seperate mic on the xbox? 

The simplest solution as mentioned is to use a mixamp. However, if you have a device (A/V receiver) that already supports Dolby Headphone, you can pick up an AX180 inline cable on ebay and use it.

-Erik

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #8,543 of 48,562
Quote:

I also noticed the Mixamp produces a lot of hiss if you push the volume past 60%. I'm guessing this is normal? I don't have much experience with the old Mixamp. It sounds a lot like my Turtle Beach hiss, but not quite as loud. You don't hear it once you get into the action. 

First off, I want to say Rebel is AWESOME. He sent me his old mixamp, and I got it in today.

Secondly, I too noticed when I had the volume cranked on the "2013" mixamp it would produce some static, I thought perhaps all the mixamps did this. The old pre-2010 one I received from Rebel makes no noise all the way cranked up. So while they added the stream feature to the new "2013" model (a feature that can be replicated by using a headphone splitter), I think the older model is superior when it comes to SQ.

-Erik

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #8,544 of 48,562
Had a feeling they'd botch something up.

Looks like the 2011 Mixamp is the best, in terms of SQ and functionality (has PS3 USB chat).

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #8,545 of 48,562
@burrito: no problem, buddy. Glad you got it working. :)

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #8,546 of 48,562
Quote:
Secondly, I too noticed when I had the volume cranked on the "2013" mixamp it would produce some static, I thought perhaps all the mixamps did this.

What do you mean by static?  A constant hissing, or a scratchy noise when you move the potentiometer (volume knob)?

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #8,548 of 48,562
Hi, I've decided that I want an upgrade (currently have Turtle Beach X11's). I'm looking for a headphones under $90AUD that are suitable for gaming, music and the like. I've done a fair bit of research and am considering the ATH-AD300 since I found it for $60 including s&h and AKG K-240 for $90 s&h. Either of these better than the other? Also, any other recommendations?

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #8,549 of 48,562
Quote:
The simplest solution as mentioned is to use a mixamp. However, if you have a device (A/V receiver) that already supports Dolby Headphone, you can pick up an AX180 inline cable on ebay and use it.

-Erik

Unfortunately there are very few a/v receivers that support dolby headphone. The ones that do are very expensive. Do you know of any cheap ones? 

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #8,550 of 48,562
You can used receivers for just over $200, usually Harman Kardon, as they were the main ones to use Dolby Headphone (for a short while). Newer HK receivers have their own virtual surround. Don't know how it stacks up though.

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-7-1-Channel-Receiver-Repeater/dp/B0016BGRX6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350733050&sr=8-2&keywords=harman+kardon+365

Users who are viewing this thread

Back