Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 14, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #8,341 of 48,578
Sensitivity yes. I think there are other factors too though. Not exactly sure what. Perhaps the size of the driver, enclosure, etc.

If you wanna call zero bass, tight, then I guess every bass light headphone in the world has tight bass. The AD700 has the biggest roll off in bass I have ever seen, and they sound like it too.

Let's call it what it is. Its tin can bass. You can hear it, but it has zero body. The K701 is a bass monster next to the AD700, and that's well known to be bass anemic. So if a bass anemic can has a lot more bass presence than the AD700... what do you call it?

Tight? Lean? Anorexic? Yes its tight. There's no bass to lose control of.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of the AD700 sound. It's all about detail and soundstage for the AD700. It's wonderful at that. So when you're looking at a competitive gaming can ONLY, the AD700 really is hard as hell to beat. Assuming you're fine with the loose as hell fit, and the derpy wing headband design, I don't see any reason to buy any other headphone with the intention of using it for hardcore competitive gaming. Not even the K701. The AD700 puts focus right where it matters, the mids and treble. The bass is audible too, so it's not like you'll be missing explosions. You just won't FEEL them...at all.

What the AD700 fails at is everything else. There's no body, no warmth, no soul. It's a very sterile sounding headphone.

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #8,342 of 48,578
Ah, the hell with it. I'm going back to my 600ohm. I'll get an E9K for now, and once I feel like I need more, I'll get a truly powerful amp. This will save me the hassle of selling a non-600ohm DT990 just so I can get a 600ohm. May as well get it now.

The 600ohm (Used - Like New) and E9K (new) will be here this Wednesday (probably Tuesday, the way Amazon loves to please me with early deliveries). In any case, the 32ohm is going back, as I bought the E9K new off Micca-store (through Amazon), so no going back.

This will give me a brief chance to compare all three Premium DT990s, and settle this matter once and for all. I don't feel bad as these are all used 990s, and I lose SOME money when I return them. I feel bad if I return new ones though.

If I feel the 250ohm to be even closer to the 600ohm in refinement than the 32ohm, I'll send the 600ohm and 32ohm back, as the E9K would have an easier time with the 250ohm.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #8,343 of 48,578
Quote:
Purple, ohm is only one factor in determining whether a headphone is easy or hard to drive. Look at the Planars. They are 35-50ohm, and some require power plants. The Beyers too, while low ohm, need a bit more current than other low ohm headphones.
You can't base whether a headphone is hard or easy to drive based off ohms. The KSC75 is I think 64ohm, and they don't scale with amping. They sound great off anything. I even hooked it up to the Lyr.

Your right, just because I own both the ATH-AD700 and SR850 and have used them with several different sources does not mean I have a single clue on what it takes to drive them.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #8,344 of 48,578
Relax with the sarcasm, I wasn't referring to those specific cans. I was referring to you saying
The ATH-AD700 and SR850 are both 32-Ohm, so they can work easily without a headphone amplifier.

Therefore implying that because they are 32ohm, they are easy to drive, which is only partly true. It does work out that way a lot of the time (and in the case of those two headphones in addition to their sensitivity is TRUE, but not always.) People need to dismiss that notion that low ohm = not needing a lot of power. All that needs to be said is that the AD700 and Samson are easy to drive. Nothing about ohms.

The HE-4 is 38ohm. That is one of the hardest things to drive outside of Electrostats and the HE-6 in terms of what's sold commercially today.

K701 is 60+ohms or so, as is the KSC75, and they are VERY different in terms of power needed.

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #8,345 of 48,578
OK, so after a lot of reading on this site and looking up deals on the Internet I've finally made my purchase. I went with the beyerdynamic DT990 pros. From what I gathered they seemed to be a little more well rounded for gaming, movies, and the type of music I listen to (mostly rock/classic metal). I like that they were described as having good accurate bass without being bass centric, and that the highs were slightly to toned down from the premium. I also liked that I could get them new for $169. I really wanted to try the Q701, but most everything that I read said they were wrong for my needs, unless I just wanted them for competitive gaming, and couldn't find a price under $225 for new and used was only $10-15 less.

I also went with the Fiio E09k amp to power them, and the Creative Recon3d USB for the surround simulation.

Hopefully they are good and what I was looking for as the package was quite a bit more than I was originally going to spend on the Astro A50 (which I thought I was crazy for considering). Headphones are supposed to come Tuesday and the rest on Wednesday, so I will write a follow up then.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #8,346 of 48,578
Quote:
I went with the beyerdynamic DT990 pros. From what I gathered they seemed to be a little more well rounded for gaming, movies, and the type of music I listen to (mostly rock/classic metal). I also liked that I could get them new for $169. 

OK now where did you get a good deal like that on DT990 Pro?  

Update: Just saw them on Ebay with extd warranty for $175 shipped 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170831500986?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #8,347 of 48,578
Oct 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #8,348 of 48,578
Mad,
You know I don't really have any investment in people buying AD700. And you know we've had this convo before... "No bass" is an exaggeration. You made a guide for other people to read and put your habitual headphone circulation to good use, and you may not fully realize that young gamers will take you at your word. Literally. I agree that most people should infer that you like almost as much bass as you can get away with cleanly from the breadth of your review comments, so the light presentation of the AD700 may be less of an issue for others.
I'm just going to pass it off as you feel like annoying people today and yesterday. I'm pretty sure Nameless, Purple, and I will all get over it, nothing serious, just a wording choice in the future may prevent sour feelings.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #8,349 of 48,578
Quote:
Relax with the sarcasm, I wasn't referring to those specific cans. I was referring to you saying
Therefore implying that because they are 32ohm, they are easy to drive, which is only partly true. It does work out that way a lot of the time (and in the case of those two headphones in addition to their sensitivity is TRUE, but not always.) People need to dismiss that notion that low ohm = not needing a lot of power. All that needs to be said is that the AD700 and Samson are easy to drive. Nothing about ohms.
The HE-4 is 38ohm. That is one of the hardest things to drive outside of Electrostats and the HE-6 in terms of what's sold commercially today.
K701 is 60+ohms or so, as is the KSC75, and they are VERY different in terms of power needed.

For that price range the guy was looking into ($50-$80), these are going to be headphones used with source(s) that have no really amplification, or very basic amplification anyway.
Chances are the high priced ones you are talking about would not usually be purchased by uninformed neebies anyway.

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #8,350 of 48,578
Quote:
Mad,
You know I don't really have any investment in people buying AD700. And you know we've had this convo before... "No bass" is an exaggeration. You made a guide for other people to read and put your habitual headphone circulation to good use, and you may not fully realize that young gamers will take you at your word. Literally. I agree that most people should infer that you like almost as much bass as you can get away with cleanly from the breadth of your review comments, so the light presentation of the AD700 may be less of an issue for others.
I'm just going to pass it off as you feel like annoying people today and yesterday. I'm pretty sure Nameless, Purple, and I will all get over it, nothing serious, just a wording choice in the future may prevent sour feelings.

I should change my name to Clueless, since 80% of the people in here are like me and call themselves noob, neewbie, etc. This is an interesting twist in MLE's review, but just bolsters my decision to now get the AD700 cans. I HATE PURPLE, so they better be good when I get them. Does anybody know how to change the color??

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #8,351 of 48,578
Quote:
I was under the impression, from the Recon3D's manual, that the EQ settings only work in PC mode. When hooked up to a console, isn't the THX truStudio Pro tab the only one that can have changes that are saved to the Recon3D profile? It may explain why your DT990s sound the same after an EQ adjustment... Yup i use the pc mode because its the only way to change settings on the fly. Now if its right or wrong thats another thing but it works. chnages happen instantly, they get outputed thru the heaphones out and you hear the changes instantaneous..The THX tab does have a bass slider though..Yeah in the picture its not turned on at all.
also to let you know if you have the recon disconected from your usb port on the computer and then power it back on by hooking usb back to the computer  the slider button slid to either console mode you can not edit any setting last time i checked but i could be wrong i leave it in pc mode because i can adjust everything and it seems to work fine. Oh n yeah never red the manual lol, reading does do wonders i'd imagine?
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #8,352 of 48,578
From what I gathered they seemed to be a little more well rounded for gaming, movies, and the type of music I listen to (mostly rock/classic metal). I like that they were described as having good accurate bass without being bass centric, and that the highs were slightly to toned down from the premium. I also liked that I could get them new for $169. I really wanted to try the Q701, but most everything that I read said they were wrong for my needs, unless I just wanted them for competitive gaming, and couldn't find a price under $225 for new and used was only $10-15 less.
I also went with the Fiio E09k amp to power them, and the Creative Recon3d USB for the surround simulation.
Hopefully they are good and what I was looking for as the package was quite a bit more than I was originally going to spend on the Astro A50 (which I thought I was crazy for considering). Headphones are supposed to come Tuesday and the rest on Wednesday, so I will write a follow up then.

The Premium DT990 isn't as strong in that department compared to the 990 Pros. The DT990 Pro however has some pretty strong emphasis in all areas of bass. The mid bass hits DAMN hard. It was actually a bit too much for me, as I'm quite sensitive to strong mid bass, as I felt like a jack hammer was hitting me directly in the ears.

:blink:

Sorry, but accurate bass is not in any shape or form close to describing the DT990 Pros. They are VERY bass centric. They just aren't sluggish like the DT770 Pros.

Not sure you made the right choice if you're looking for accurate bass, and more well-rounded sound. The DT990 Pros are a basshead can first. The DT990 Premiums have a more well rounded bass, though are still on the bassy side. Judging from the DT990/32 and 250 comparisons I've been making, the 32ohm has the least amount of bass (by a smidge) and have the most balanced sound of the two. I'll wait until I get my hands on the 600ohm before I say which has the most well rounded sound signature. Well rounded doesn't necessarily mean the most refined, as I feel the Premium 250ohm is more refined than the 32ohm, but more v-shaped, with less mid presence.

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #8,353 of 48,578
Quote:
I should change my name to Clueless, since 80% of the people in here are like me and call themselves noob, neewbie, etc. This is an interesting twist in MLE's review, but just bolsters my decision to now get the AD700 cans. I HATE PURPLE, so they better be good when I get them. Does anybody know how to change the color??

Paint.

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #8,354 of 48,578
Quote:
blink.gif

Sorry, but accurate bass is not in any shape or form close to describing the DT990 Pros. They are VERY bass centric. They just aren't sluggish like the DT770 Pros.
Not sure you made the right choice if you're looking for accurate bass, and more well-rounded sound. The DT990 Pros are a basshead can first. The DT990 Premiums have a more well rounded bass, though are still on the bassy side.

Yeah to bad he's on a budget because the 600ohms are dam good at almost everything like you say MLE its a good all rounder..The bass is quite nice and controlled if i had to say so myself along with the mids being nice the sound stage perfect and the highs, as i use the DT990 more are ok it all depens on the material your using  the cans with. Also eqing never hurts if you have to use it.

In movies it beats out my HE-400 but not the HE-500 lol...

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #8,355 of 48,578
You can just take the grills off and use some spray paint.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670295

http://www.cybergamer.com.au/forums/thread/331047/AD700-MicPaintRewire-Mod-Log/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back