Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 13, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #8,311 of 48,583
Quote:
 Thanks for the drivers link, I am noob to this arena is there another good sub $100 amp you recommend? Thx

Sorry, but amps aren't my best field of knowledge, especially those that can't drive electrostatics.

Generally speaking, when it comes to affordable amps, people here usually favor either FiiO or professionally-built Objective2 amps.

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #8,312 of 48,583
Quote:
Ya I haven't read through all the posts to see how many times you've posted that its got a lot of treble.  I just read the 1st page of your impressions and through out the site to find that out.  I still do like the Q701's for gaming.  I don't really think I'll be using them for music.  

I use the K701 and AD700 for gaming now that my he 400 is busted and the k701 is usually only used for music but having a choice HE-400 is beter for my ears and positioning when i game... I will use the DT990 for the rest of weekend but i know for sure i'm sending them back because i just got a great deal on some other cans and one of them i cant wait to get it because i will kiss it when it comes lol..

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #8,314 of 48,583
Quote:
 Thanks for the drivers link, I am noob to this arena is there another good sub $100 amp you recommend? Thx

On eBay, they sell the SMSL SD-793II for $60, it comes with S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) digital input a PCM1793 DAC chip and a headphone amplifier.
You would just run optical from your Titanium sound card to the SMSL SD-793.
The Titanium can send CMSS-3D surround sound thru the optical output.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #8,315 of 48,583
Quote:
On eBay, they sell the SMSL SD-793II for $60, it comes with S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) digital input a PCM1793 DAC chip and a headphone amplifier.
You would just run optical from your Titanium sound card to the SMSL SD-793.
The Titanium can send CMSS-3D surround sound thru the optical output.

Wait what card is this your talking about! I need  A sound card with optical OUt, seeing as I don;t have the braket that came with my Mother Board >.> but I have the flipping Spdif out 2 pins on my mobo :x

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #8,316 of 48,583
OK I just ordered the refurbished $43 X-Fi titanium and a used $129 DT990/32, now i believe it is time to look for an amplifier. MLE suggests the Fiio E7, E9, E11 - will these work well with what I purchased?

Please tell me you did not buy the DT990/32 on Amazon that was $129. That one has a dead driver, is messed up, and they don't accept returns. Did you even READ the description? If you did, you've effectively wasted $129, and are gonna have to spend some cash to send it to Beyer to fix it.

edit: It's no longer on Amazon, looks like you DID buy it.

*facepalm*

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #8,317 of 48,583
Quote:
Please tell me you did not buy the DT990/32 on Amazon that was $129. That one has a dead driver, is messed up, and they don't accept returns. Did you even READ the description? If you did, you've effectively wasted $129, and are gonna have tpo spend some cash to send it to Beyer to fix it.

*sigh* Amazone has a Returm policy OR you can be a boss and go for some SERIOUS modding on those! but yea buying a broken can... I hope its not broken >.> 

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #8,318 of 48,583
Uhh, it wasn't SOLD by Amazon. It was a third party, and they don't accept returns, from what I read in the description.

It WAS broken. The decription mentioned what was wrong with it. I guess he just saw $129, and bought it without reading.

Anyone can put up things for sale on Amazon. The seller put up an honest description, so he won't get penalized for it.

I hope he can cancel, but... who knows?

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #8,319 of 48,583
Quote:
Uhh, it wasn't SOLD by Amazon. It was a third party, and they don't accept returns, from what I read in the description.
It WAS broken. The decription mentioned what was wrong with it. I guess he just saw $129, and bought it without reading.
Anyone can put up things for sale on Amazon. The seller put up an honest description, so he won't get penalized for it.
I hope he can cancel, but... who knows?

Yea I hope so too >.>

Also Mad I've just disocovered the Byerdynamic Custom 1 that claims to have a setting that allows for dt 880 lvls of bass... what do you think of this can and it's adjustable bass :O... 

I ask because there are some games that I do enjoy with a BASS heavy can because the game and the music for it is SO DARK that it benifits from some SERIOUS bass... just the overwhelming DARK SOUND really adds to how evil the bosses are! 

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #8,320 of 48,583
They seem interesting. However, I doubt the soundstage and positioning will be better than the 770s. They're only 16 ohms too, so IF they get paired up with anything over 2ohms in output impedance, they'll sound worse.

I hear the 770/80 is better, and I'm not in LOVE with those.

Still, I haven't heard them, so maybe they're decent.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #8,321 of 48,583
Quote:
Been having this problem for a while and figured I'd ask.  Googled but didn't find anything similar to my situation.

My setup is DT990 premium 32ohms hooked up to a Mixamp 5.8 via optical cable.  Xbox 360 and PS3 are both set to output DD5.1 sound.  When I turn my Mixamp's bass boost on, the sound during certain explosions and/or many different sound effects playing at the same time (varies per game) causes the sound to loudly crackle and bother my ears.  Is there a fix for this? ot ruling it out, but I wouldn't think it would be the cables since it happens on both 360 and PS3 which each have their own optical cable.   I feel like the bass boost adds a lot but this issue can be unbearable with certain games (Sonic Adventure 2 XBLA as a recent example).  

Thanks.

Turning the bass boost on causes the digital signal to clip sometimes.  The mixamp doesn't compensate for the bass boost by lowering the overall EQ, so the levels start red lining.

What you CAN do is turn down the volume digitally via the in-game menu.  This will prevent the mixamp from clipping the signal when bass boost is on.  You will have to turn the mixamp up slightly to compensate. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #8,322 of 48,583
Wouldn't that make the Mixamp work harder? In either case, I haven't used that boost button in ages. I called it a loss and moved on.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #8,323 of 48,583
Quote:
Wouldn't that make the Mixamp work harder? In either case, I haven't used that boost button in ages. I called it a loss and moved on.

Slightly.  It's just turning the in-game from 100% down to 85% or whatever.  It just another "o'clock" or two on the mixamp to get the same volume as before.

If your trying to drive hungry headphones with just the mixamp, you may run into some volume issues.

I use this technique with my Q701 + mixamp 5.8 + M-stage when I want to boost the bass on on games that don't like the mixamps bass boost.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #8,325 of 48,583
Mellow, did you see my post about you possibly buying a messed up DT990? Read back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back