Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #8,146 of 48,566
^^^ What just happened exactly in the last few posts above after mine? Are you guys saying the PS3 is capable of converting DTS to DH on its own by adjusting a setting in bitstream mix?

Not really, rather sony added the ability to select convert DTS into Dolby 5.1 IF the blu-ray has the 5.1 track on it (I'm not sure if all Blu-Rays have the 5.1 track or not). You'll still need something to convert the 5.1 into DH.

Regarding your last post, IF youre willing to give up chat altogether, then you could choose a TB DSS1/2 or Creative Recon, and maybe budget for an amp along the way. All of the Headphones in your list will benefit from the secondary amp, some more than others. I can only comment on the Q's and DT990pro250. If you're mainly using them for gaming then the Q's are a better choice with a bigger soundstage, and ample yet not overpowering bass, while the 990 is better for movies with loads of bass which is perfect for action movies.

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #8,147 of 48,566
Quote:
Well, the Wii-U is going to cater to all people, instead of to mainly casuals and children. Their launch window lineup looks stronger than any system released prior so far, with lots of games that would typically be on the 360 or PS3. In any case, at least for the foreseeable future, it should have the same games as the 360/PS3 but on a higher level, and probably the entry level for when the PS4/720 come out. I'm just glad they finally went HD, and went with an actual controller as the main controlling device (albeit with a screen). The fact that the Wii was SD (which looked horrible on HD sets) and was mainly all waggle controls, was why the Wii was mainly a casual and non-hardcore gamer console, and didn't interest me much if at all. I had it and almost NEVER touched it. The Wii-U should have some good 3rd party support this time around.

I was extremely disappointed with the Wii and like you ended up never using it, I'm just glad I was able to sell it for a fair price. I'm still not all that interested in the Wii U and the early information on it doesn't convince me that it will be something I want over a PC. Like you said earlier I will have to wait for the final specs to be released because it doesn't look good at this point. I don't want to spend $300+ to get another piece of hardware that is inferior to my PC with a graphics card from 2009 that still lets me play nearly everything at high or close to it. I know you're budgets been pretty tight lately but why not spend a little bit more and go the PC route where you can be an audio/videophile at the same time?

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #8,148 of 48,566
I was extremely disappointed with the Wii and like you ended up never using it, I'm just glad I was able to sell it for a fair price. I'm still not all that interested in the Wii U and the early information on it doesn't convince me that it will be something I want over a PC. Like you said earlier I will have to wait for the final specs to be released because it doesn't look good at this point. I don't want to spend $300+ to get another piece of hardware that is inferior to my PC with a graphics card from 2009 that still lets me play nearly everything at high or close to it. I know you're budgets been pretty tight lately but why not spend a little bit more and go the PC route where you can be an audio/videophile at the same time?

:deadhorse: Like me, MLE's a console gamer through and through. Been discussed earlier in the thread.

I'm actually quite upset that I found this out TWO+ YEARS late. I have been watching Blu-Rays in basic stereo all this damn time when I could've enjoyed them in Dolby Headphone, due to Sony not clarifying what Bitstream Mix does. Not only is it impossible to figure out that this changes DTS to Dolby Digital, but it's only available WHILE you are watching a movie.You'd think they'd have this option in the PS3 Audio Settings. Stupidity really. The only explanation you get is when you switch back to Bitstream (Direct), where it says that some audio information may potentially be missing. :rolleyes:
I wonder if standard Blu-Ray players have an option like this, though I don't see it being useful for the vast majority of people, seeing as this conversion only helps those with really old receivers that don't accept DTS but accept Dolby Digital, or us here who have these niche devices that rely on Dolby Digital.
PS3 games do have the DTS option, but already have Dolby Digital in them.
I'm gonna have to edit the first post with this information later on. I'm sure lots of the PS3 users with the Mixamp/DSS/Recond 3D would LOVE to know this.

Agreed...should have been accessable through the system settings... set it and forget it. Does this mean you'll have to change the audio settings for every movie you watch? Kind of a PITA, but i guess its worth it to get DH out of our decoders.

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #8,149 of 48,566
Quote:
Yup. So if you're watching Blu-Rays, you can use something like the Mixamp to get Dolby Headphone. If you have the audio set to Linear PCM or Bitstream Direct, you will not get the Dolby Digital signal, meaning not Dolby Headphone.

^^^ Perfect, thank you for explaining that. 

Quote:
Not really, rather sony added the ability to select convert DTS into Dolby 5.1 IF the blu-ray has the 5.1 track on it (I'm not sure if all Blu-Rays have the 5.1 track or not). You'll still need something to convert the 5.1 into DH.
Regarding your last post, IF youre willing to give up chat altogether, then you could choose a TB DSS1/2 or Creative Recon, and maybe budget for an amp along the way. All of the Headphones in your list will benefit from the secondary amp, some more than others. I can only comment on the Q's and DT990pro250. If you're mainly using them for gaming then the Q's are a better choice with a bigger soundstage, and ample yet not overpowering bass, while the 990 is better for movies with loads of bass which is perfect for action movies.

^^^ Ahhh k gotcha'. Ill be using the headphones I would say 65% movies and 35% gaming. Sounds like the DT990 Pro 250 might be the way to go I think for myself. Will look into them a bit more and the price is nice as well on them. Got any recommendations for a secondary amp that will do a decent job but not break the bank to bad? Thanks!

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #8,150 of 48,566
Off the top of my head, the O2 http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full and Fiio E9 http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E9-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B004M172FY are regarded as good "budget minded" amps. I've haven't had a chance to hear these so I can't contribute anything more, however MLE's owned an E9, so maybe he can chime in on how synergistic it may be.

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #8,151 of 48,566
Quote:
Off the top of my head, the O2 http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full and Fiio E9 http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E9-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B004M172FY are regarded as good "budget minded" amps. I've haven't had a chance to hear these so I can't contribute anything more, however MLE's owned an E9, so maybe he can chime in on how synergistic it may be.

^^^ Thanks a bunch. I will check em' out. :) Gives me direction as to where I should be looking as well. 

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #8,152 of 48,566
MLE,
I am super happy for you, and the headphone processor community (lol), that you found this DTS solution. With the relative dearth of DTS solutions, it only makes sense that someone wasn't filling the market demand because... there wasn't actually a demand for it. When I read that the Xbox 360 could decode DTS (on the few DVDs that support it), I felt the more media-centric Sony PS3 had to have some sort of solution.
So good for you, too bad for the bloke looking to sell his receiver lol. Hey, maybe it would be a good alternative for Jason Bourne so he wouldn't have to buy a separate processor and amp?

Nameless,
Just saw what you said about Descent 3. I remember playing a demo as a little kid, made me jump lol. Sheltered child. I'm worried that gaming has found a few "comfortable ruts" to stick with, and the publishers have become like Hollywood where they don't know what customers want and try to just operate within the framework that has worked in the past, RE: CoD, Halo, Madden, anything by EA. Oh, and both Elvis & JFK are still alive, and the moon landing was a hoax. XD

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #8,153 of 48,566
It would still be a lot more beneficial to have something that decodes DTS without that PS3 trickery. That way, you can set the PS3 to output all types of sound and not have to worry about. Also, I doubt EVERYONE who watches Blu-rays has a PS3. I'm sure other devices may not have this Bitstream (Mix) option. Hell, I know the PS3 didn't for what, 3+ years?

This is more than likely just for those with a PS3, and may be out of luck if they watch BD on something else.

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #8,154 of 48,566
Quote:
Not sure if your onboard soundcard does any virtual surround, so I suggest something cheap ($40) like maybe an external soundcard like the
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Xonar-Sound-Cards-XONAR_U3/dp/B0054L8GVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349706918&sr=8-1&keywords=xonar+u3
Xonar U3, which has Dolby headphone. If you aren't willing to buy something with virtual surround, most headphones in standard stereo will have very similar directionality from one another, since it all sounds so two dimensional to me. Most left and right directionality. From one ear to the other.
I personally recommend getting something like the Xonar U3 as the TOP priority. Hell, I'd take that and a KSC75 ($15) first, then save up for the Sennheiser if you can't afford the Xonar U3 and a headphone right now..
The Sennheiser 555 (if you can find them for cheap) would be my suggestion. Then do the foam removal mod which is very easy. That should be all you need. The 558 is going for $101 (Like New) off Dahmart, which is even better than the 555, and can have a foam removal mod too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004FEEY9A/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
If not, the AD700, though I personally feel they aren't the least bit comfy, and hate the bass. The pads are soft, and the headphone won't even feel like they are on your head, but that's a problem for me. It has no feeling of being secure and slides all over the place. I hated the fit.
The 555/558 and AD700 do not need any amping, so you're good to go there.
Sadly, Battlefield 3 has good sound quality, but not very good directional cues, so I don't think even a $20000 pair of headphones will help you directional wise.

Thank you for your suggestions.
An ASUS Xonar DGX ,whish has dolby headphone.
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Xonar-Channel-Gaming-Audio/dp/B008LA8JY0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1349775795&sr=8-5&keywords=ASUS+XONAR+DGX

It cost even cheaper than a ASUS Xonar U3 at my local electronic store. Should I go for that?

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #8,155 of 48,566
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Xonar-Channel-Gaming-Audio/dp/B008LA8JY0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1349775795&sr=8-5&keywords=ASUS+XONAR+DGX

It cost even cheaper than a ASUS Xonar U3 at my local electronic store. Should I go for that?

If ever you have the option to install a card over using a USB device, 9.5/10 I'm going to recommend using an internal card. So I say go for it.

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #8,156 of 48,566
Yeah, I'd go for an internal soundcard too. I had assumed you were using a laptop, which wouldn't exactly be easy or maybe even impossible to swap out the soundcard.

To update for the DT990/32, I actually prefer it with the Mixamp alone, than attaching the E17. Why? It sounds basically the same with/without the E17. Of course, the E17 would be beneficial for adjusting bass/treble, and helping the Mixamp power them when using voice chat, but for single player gaming, and the fact that I don't feel they need any EQ, I'm very happy.

All this shows me is that the DT990 are seriously the best headphone I have owned, when I take all factors into account.

No EQ
Open
Crisp, clear audio
Bassy (fits my preference if being bassy but not boomy)
Super comfy velours
Does well in both fun and competitive gaming
Affordable (by Head-fi standards... or rather WERE affordable, now you pretty much have to buy used, as new price is ridiculously high now, may as well spend the extra for MANUFAKTUR if getting new)
Does well in both fun and competitive gaming

Things sure have come full circle. I have since sold everything else, and even though other headphones I have owned sound better (D7000, HE400, HE-4), the DT990 still brings a smile to my face.

I would've saved a lot of money these past few years if I wasn't so curious.

I'm tempted on getting the 250ohm used so I can compare. Then I'd end up having 'owned' using all the current 990s.

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #8,157 of 48,566
Hey everyone,

So I'm looking at buying a new pair of headphones for all purposes.  I've narrowed down my choices between the Sennheiser HD 598 and the AKG Q 701.

My question is which out of the two deliver, or I should say, offer me the best bang for the buck?

I'll be using these on a PS3 and on a 13 inch Macbook Pro.

My uses consist of gaming, watching movies, listening to music, and watching videos.  

Thanks!

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #8,158 of 48,566
If you have a desktop amp, the Q701. If not, the HD598. They are similar to me, but the Q701 is more detailed, airier, and of a higher tier quality. The HD598 has a very inoffensive, well balanced sound signature, that doesn't really amaze or do anything bad, but it's not nearly as engaging as the Q701. Neither have particularly amazing bass presence, so depending on your music, they both might bore you. I wouldn't personally use either for music or movies.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #8,159 of 48,566
Quote:

The Xonar DGX is a little cheaper here. Very decent sound card for the price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132052&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #8,160 of 48,566
I would go further than Mad by saying, based on personal experience and research (and taste to a degree), that the Q701 is the better headphone. They both can reach adequate volume (I'll check for you how much headroom the MacBook Pro has left once I get home, but my guess is not much), and IMO even without an extra amp you can hear that the Q701 is very good, but the Q scales up more and will make you most happy when powered by a receiver or desktop amp.
Going on Mad's comment about the HD598's balanced signature and non-headlining bass performance, I'd actually suggest that the Audio Technica is even better than the HD598 if bang-for-buck in your first hi-fi headphone. A small EQ boost at 80hz and lower can help fill in the bass, but the AD700 always excels in soundstage and "sparkle."
I personally feel the soundstage of the Q701 and AD700 is great for movies, though for movies with explosions and submarines you may want to boost the bass beyond neutral/natural, which is where the average person seems to like it more.
If you REALLY want bang-for-buck, Koss KSC-75 clip ons. Not the last word in detail and refinement, yet a very pleasing sound and just $12-$14. Definitely a good walkabout to pair with any reference headphone you keep at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back