Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 7, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #8,101 of 48,562
Quote:
Good news! I've found a local store in town that has at least a couple of the headphones I've been interested in. The DT770s are available in both 80 and 250 ohm versions as well as the M50s. These were the 2 I was most interested in hearing, I'm not sure how much else they carry (selection is somewhat limited) but it is enough to make me happy. I'm fine not hearing the AD700 since it's pretty obvious what it will be; tinny and flat sounding with very little bass but tons of clarity on detail. I know I won't enjoy them for recreational uses anyway but that they are top notch for competitive and that's all I really need to know.  They would be a noticeable upgrade from my HTF-600 in terms of positional accuracy I assume. I'll be going out to try the dt770 and m50s after the long weekend though.

P.S. Canadian here. We don't have these "Guitar Centers" I keep hearing about to test things. The store I've found is also a guitar/instrument store though, called "Long and McQuade" does anyone know of any other places or ways to test headphones in Canada? I'm not sure if they will have a listening station set up but they have a solid full money back 30 day return policy. I will still most likely purchase online for cheaper from the US and ship to the border, drive across, and pick up. Unless there are better options.

When you test the headphones, try to find out what DAC and headphone amplifier they are using.

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #8,102 of 48,562
I wouldn't want to try the AD900s mainly because:

A. Wing design headband. KILL IT WITH FIRE.

B. Everyone I know who has tried both the AD700 and AD900 have stated that the AD900 has a smaller soundstage, and worse positional cues that aren't as accurate as the AD700.

C. While it has more bass than the AD700, the bass is still pathetic.

Just what I gathered from the years I've spent here and AVS.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #8,103 of 48,562
I wouldn't want to try the AD900s mainly because:
A. Wing design headband. KILL IT WITH FIRE.
B. Everyone I know who has tried both the AD700 and AD900 have stated that the AD900 has a smaller soundstage, and worse positional cues that aren't as accurate as the AD700.
C. While it has more bass than the AD700, the bass is still pathetic.
Just what I gathered from the years I've spent here and AVS.

A. Agree... but higher tension on the arms helps... a bit. It no longer sinks down on my head but still isn't as comfortable as a traditional headband.

B. I really need to pick up a pair of AD700s... at the very least to make a comparison plus they're much cheaper than the AD900s.

C. Yup bass is there, but under a normal eq has no presence. Using a bass positive EQ, it gets a little louder, but still not as loud/prominent as all of my other phones on a normal eq.

I recently switched from the AD900s to test out gaming with the DT990pro250ohm and bass turned down to -3 on my receiver. Honestly, I'm hard pressed to find that much of a difference between all of my HPs in terms of positional accuracy, and much of the sound-staging depth (or is depth in terms of height not presented well with any type of processing?).

I've only been serious about this hobby for the past two months, so maybe my ears aren't well trained enough to pick up on the slight (maybe large? I dunno.) nuances that might occur with a better trained ear. It honestly makes me think that with the proper setup/settings a quality pair of headphones will serve one well regardless of which brand/model you choose.

Of course the obvious sonic differences can be heard (bass amount/presentation, mids, highs, clarity, soundstage width) between all of my HPs, and when listening critically to music they all shine in different areas.

Or it could be that I'm not critical/judgmental enough in my testing/playing games with subpar audio. Right now playing the heck out of BL2... MLE i know you borrowed/played it-How do you find the audio?

After the analysis/informal testing, all I can say is... thanks again for the guide MLE... I think i would have quit after the fourth pair, and just divided it between good for gaming/bad for gaming.

Regardless, I do know that I'm much happier playing with any of these then with the AX720s. I guess the whole point of this post is to remind guys (especially all the first time posters/guys that just joined) that you may not need to stress so much over finding that "perfect" (if there is such a thing) set of headphones the first time around. Heck MLE's owned like a dozen pairs and still hasn't found it (though i assume he's pretty close with the HE400s). Just remember why you found this thread in the first place, because you enjoy gaming, whether it be for fun or for sport.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #8,104 of 48,562
You hit the nail on the head. As I mentioned before, any decent pair of headphones will do fantastic for gaming, soundwhoring, etc. All that's really necessary is a decently sized soundstage, the right balance in sound... that's pretty much it.

This is part of the reason why I sold the HE400 and NFB5. I would be more than happy with the 990/32 and E17, plus all that extra cash that will be used for the Wii-U. I'm no longer needing more expensive setups, and will instead focus on the meat of why I'm here, the gaming.

Again, anything with a 7 or higher on my guide will put you right where you need to be. 8 and up is pretty much as good as it gets. 9s and 10s are reserved for those that just have a HINT more precision or fun, but by no means make a signifi can't improvement on the 7s and up... There is no absolute best, because we all have our preferences.

Yes, vertical positioning isn't exactly a strength on any virtual surround I've heard, other than true binaural recordings. I don't find vertical to be that important. What's important is horizontal placement. Once you get the general direction, pinpointing the source with your eyes takes care of the rest. Very few instances where I felt I needed better vertical placement.

In other news:

Just boxed up the HE400 to send it out tomorrow to the new owner. I didn't wanna listen to them anymore. I haven't listened to them in a few days (work days tend to not give me time to sit back and use my cans), and I think that was a smart move. I KNOW I'd regret it if I did. Rip it off like a band aid, I say. XD

That HE400 sound was intoxicating, but I feel it best to downgrade to something more fun overall, even if I lose out on that lovely warmth, natural, full bodied sound. Didn't wanna constantly have to bass boost the HE400 to give it the fun bass presence I wanted for gaming and music. I know the DT990/32 will serve me well, and the KSC35 is right there when I want some warmth and richer mids.

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #8,105 of 48,562
Just wanted to let you guys who are looking for an alternative to Astro's Y adapter for cheaper, I just got this one from Amazon, and it works perfectly (and you don't get raped on shipping).

-Erik

P.S. MLE, after spending more time with DH, I'm starting to warm up to it a bit more. The SQ of the PC360's to the AXPRO's is HANDS DOWN better of course, but I'm not quite sure where I fall on the positioning part just yet. More time will tell. Thanks again for all your hard work with this guide.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #8,106 of 48,562
Quote:
Yes, vertical positioning isn't exactly a strength on any virtual surround I've heard, other than true binaural recordings. I don't find vertical to be that important. What's important is horizontal placement. Once you get the general direction, pinpointing the source with your eyes takes care of the rest. Very few instances where I felt I needed better vertical placement.

It doesn't help that most sources used for virtual surround aren't presenting any vertical positioning cues to begin with. All those 5.1 and 7.1 setups that people go gaga over are merely two-dimensional at best because of that.

I constantly found myself wishing that Just Cause 2 had proper 3D positional audio when I had a hijacked helicopter and was trying to find the other enemy choppers in the area. They all sounded like they were at the same elevation when that clearly wasn't the case.

*sighs* We've fallen such a long way from the late-1990s era of Aureal A3D (which used binaural mixing by default) because of game developers thinking that 7.1 is good enough.

That said, most games don't really allow for much in terms of vertical movement to begin with. For every game like Tribes or Just Cause where the vertical space is integral to the gameplay, you have a thousand others where the environment is mostly flat. We don't see games with much emphasis on 3D level design like Descent these days, either.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #8,107 of 48,562
Long time lurker and I think that I'm finally ready to make a move for some new equipment.
I'm using a DSS2 to drive  an old pair of HD 555s (foam modded) through my Xbox 360 and I've been happy with the SQ, but this is Head-Fi and as we all know: you can always get better.

I'm trying to avoid getting into a new set of cans that are difficult to drive and require more than the DSS2.  Due to that mentality, I was initially drawn to the HD 598.  However, I'm concerned that they're not going to be enough of a "step up" to justify dropping the money.  I also have been interested in the fantastic marks given the DT990 pros, but I'm having a hard time finding them in 32 ohms.  Also, it seems as though they still will likely require the use of an amp to get the most out of them.  

Last note, I do use a zalman clip on and occasionally voice chat with friends.  I know this can impact whether or not I'd need to amp, so I figured that I'd add it.

I do play tend to focus on FPS shooters like COD (online - but not a pro-type gamer) and tend to appreciate the soundstage of the HD555, but I also use a bass boost on the DSS2 to get those headphones a much needed boost on the low end of the spectrum.

If anyone is so inclined, I'd really appreciate any suggestions!

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #8,108 of 48,562
First off I would just like to say what an awesome thread to find for someone like me looking to get a headphone for use with gaming and blu-ray movies through the ps3. Thanks a ton to the OP "Mad Lust Envy". Im posting in this thread as it seems the most relevant.

Right now I think Im leaning towards getting the Sennheiser HD598's but Im wondering what are my options for amps to use with headphones and the ps3? Is the mix-amp about it or are there options? If someone could please chime in with some help in this regard I would be really grateful. Ill basically be using this amp/headphone setup exclusively with the ps3 for blu-ray movies and gaming so simulation of surround sound is the most important variable I guess. 

Thanks!

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #8,109 of 48,562
Jason Bourne: Unfortunately, as stated in the guide, most virtual surround devices for headphones (Mixamp included) don't support DTS, which is what most movies use. I don't think you'll be able to get surround sound for movies with the Mixamp or similar :frowning2:

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #8,110 of 48,562
Quote:
First off I would just like to say what an awesome thread to find for someone like me looking to get a headphone for use with gaming and blu-ray movies through the ps3. Thanks a ton to the OP "Mad Lust Envy". Im posting in this thread as it seems the most relevant.

Right now I think Im leaning towards getting the Sennheiser HD598's but Im wondering what are my options for amps to use with headphones and the ps3? Is the mix-amp about it or are there options? If someone could please chime in with some help in this regard I would be really grateful. Ill basically be using this amp/headphone setup exclusively with the ps3 for blu-ray movies and gaming so simulation of surround sound is the most important variable I guess. 

Thanks!

I know the HD598s have a great sound stage and are a big hit with gamers and Dolby Headphone. That said I think you would need an amp to benefit the 598, where you could probably drive the AD700's off the mix amp alone. Both of these are lacking in bass if that bothers you.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #8,111 of 48,562
Quote:
Jason Bourne: Unfortunately, as stated in the guide, most virtual surround devices for headphones (Mixamp included) don't support DTS, which is what most movies use. I don't think you'll be able to get surround sound for movies with the Mixamp or similar :frowning2:

^^^ I realized the part about no DTS before I even posted :frowning2: But as is the limitation of any surround sound setup being too loud where I live I will just have to make do and live with DD 5.1 which I believe the mix-amp will do?! Or am I incorrect?

Quote:
I know the HD598s have a great sound stage and are a big hit with gamers and Dolby Headphone. That said I think you would need an amp to benefit the 598, where you could probably drive the AD700's off the mix amp alone. Both of these are lacking in bass if that bothers you.

While I do like bass Im not a bass-head either. Just looking for bass that delivers the point of the intended scene across in a movie or a game. Like my original post Im still wondering what exactly are my options for an amp to use with headphones and a ps3 for gaming/movies with surround? From what I have seen the Mix-Amp and the DSS2 from Turtle beach are about it? Any others?

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #8,112 of 48,562
Quote:

Thanks!

I would think Sony would make the PS3 able to play any DVD or Blu-ray disk, no matter what audio standard is used.
And whoever makes the Blu-ray movie disks would provide enough different audio track "standards" to allow their disk to be played with different audio setups.

As S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) can not pass Dolby True-HD or DTS-HD Master Audio, you not going to get the "full audio experience" no matter what optical input device you use.
I would guess you would need to use HDMI for the "full audio experience".
I would guess something like Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS-EX audio might be hiding somewhere on the Blu-ray movie disk.
I would think once the PS3 turns DTS-EX audio signals into PCM, the PS3's DDL (Dolby Digital Live) should be able to compress it and send it thru the optical.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #8,113 of 48,562
Quote:

While I do like bass Im not a bass-head either. Just looking for bass that delivers the point of the intended scene across in a movie or a game. Like my original post Im still wondering what exactly are my options for an amp to use with headphones and a ps3 for gaming/movies with surround? From what I have seen the Mix-Amp and the DSS2 from Turtle beach are about it? Any others?

I gather you're a Bourne fan? Ultimatum is one of my fav films, and Greengrass one of my fav directors. I for one couldn't watch those films without some punchy bass :p

You haven't told us your budget? You could go up to AKG 701s but then you are needing an amp. I'm not sure about DTS decoding though sorry. If you need voice (which I guess is pretty unlikely on PSN) then the mixamp is your best option.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #8,114 of 48,562
Quote:

After the PS3 uncompress the DTS to PCM audio, Should not DDL be able to compress any PCM audio signal.
DDL does not process the audio signal, just compress it for S/PDIF transfer.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #8,115 of 48,562
Quote:
I would think Sony would make the PS3 able to play any DVD or Blu-ray disk, no matter what audio standard is used.
And whoever makes the Blu-ray movie disks would provide enough different audio track "standards" to allow their disk to be played with different audio setups.

As S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) can not pass Dolby True-HD or DTS-HD Master Audio, you not going to get the "full audio experience" no matter what optical input device you use.
I would guess you would need to use HDMI for the "full audio experience".
I would guess something like Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS-EX audio might be hiding somewhere on the Blu-ray movie disk.
I would think once the PS3 turns DTS-EX audio signals into PCM, the PS3's DDL (Dolby Digital Live) should be able to compress it and send it thru the optical.

^^^ Thanks for the post PurpleAngle. While I understand most of what you wrote or the basis of it I dont fully understand the post either...sorry just not at your technical level here... 

Quote:
I gather you're a Bourne fan? Ultimatum is one of my fav films, and Greengrass one of my fav directors. I for one couldn't watch those films without some punchy bass :p

You haven't told us your budget? You could go up to AKG 701s but then you are needing an amp. I'm not sure about DTS decoding though sorry. If you need voice (which I guess is pretty unlikely on PSN) then the mixamp is your best option.

^^^ What gave away? :p Yes I love the Bourne movies! My budget is probably around $225-300 for headphones plus I could probably do another $125 or so for an amp. Recommendation's within that range are really appreciated. If I had to break it down this will be used 65% with blu-ray movies and 35% gaming. Voice is not a necessity on my end.  Like you say I would want some bass that will at-least begin to do an action movie/game justice audio wise. Is anyone using anything other then a mix-amp or dss2 with the ps3 around here with headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back