Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #6,661 of 48,578
Quote:
Now that I can hear my music and games so much better I am kinda wondering if there are better headphones out there than my 380 HD Pro's. Don't get me wrong I like them allot I am just intrigued by the fact that there might be a better one's that I can buy in the price range 250.00. I was looking at the Q701 will those have a bigger sound-stage and be more immersive than my 380's? If you guys could give me a few suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. 

Seeing as the HD380s are closed, it's probably safe to assume there are some bigger-soundstage options for $250, Q701 being one of them.  The first page has suggestions.

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #6,662 of 48,578
So due to my work, I decided that something I can easily slip on and off would be worthwhile, so I ordered the Monster Turbine off Amazon. $75. I hear good things about them, so I hope they satisfy me as the portable choice.

Don't expect a review of them for gaming, as I doubt they'd be good with the Mixamp.IEMs just ain't it for console gaming. Portable gaming? Sure.

I'm not a huge fan of IEMs in general, but we'll see.

I dunno what it is, but I SWEAR the HE400's soundstage with the NFB 5 is pretty damn wide. Just listening to my music, lots of songs sound out of my head. I do not remember this even with the Q701. I'm not saying the soundstage is bigger. It isn't, but with music, it really does reach out. o_O

I really do believe it's the NFB5, since I definitely don't get that with the soundcard's hpo. Too bad I didn't keep my E9 long enough to test them out with it.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #6,664 of 48,578
Yeah, I heard its quite hefty. The HE400 is lighter by a bit, and its still heavy. I can only imagine how heavy the HE500 is.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #6,665 of 48,578
You get used to the weight.

My only issue with it at the moment is that I feel there are better gaming cans out there. Either it's my headphones, my ears, or MW3 has very poor sound positioning. With Sitrep Pro I can only hear people about 20 feet away from me, and even then it's hard to tell where they're coming from. Don't get me wrong- the sound quality is excellent. However, I think I might want something else. I was kind of hoping that MLE would give the T90's a good review.
redface.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #6,666 of 48,578
Its the game. MW3 has terrible positioning. MW2 has much better positioning. As does Black Ops (with Ninja Pro).

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #6,667 of 48,578
That's good news, I guess. I really do like the way the HE-500's sound. Anyway, yeah- CoD4/MW2 definitely had good positioning. I don't think I ever got Ninja Pro in Black Ops though.

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #6,668 of 48,578
I'm curious how the 32ohm DT990 would fare with the E17. The E17 would have the juice for it, plus the treble reduction option. Dang, if only they would have gone down in price. They are ridiculously expensive. Lol.

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #6,669 of 48,578
Quote:
Its the game. MW3 has terrible positioning. MW2 has much better positioning. As does Black Ops (with Ninja Pro).

Huh, I haven't tried blops with my cans but I didn't think MW3 was bad at all. AD700's are great in terms of direction, and the SR850's have that plus a bit better distance figuring in MW3. I mean, if it got mutch better than this... I already feel like I'm cheating!

I found the positioning in BF2 to be pretty bad, though - you think MW3 is better than BF2?

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #6,670 of 48,578
Yes. MW3 has some positioning. Battlefield... not so much. There's just some games (Uncharted 3 as well) that have bad positioning.

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #6,671 of 48,578
Just got my DT 990s in the mail today and my God. I have never had a proper pair of headphones before for anything and these are blowing my mind. Granted I have barely anything to compare to but these are awesome and worth every penny. Music is so forceful now 
I'm still trying to figure out how to set up my Xonar DX control panel to get the most out of them for games. There are so many options and combos it's overwhelming 

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #6,672 of 48,578
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster here.  One, I'd like to thank MLE for beginning this thread as it's very informative for n00bs(like me) and vets alike, and for those others helping aswell. Two, long story short, two cans later I realized that I much rather fun over competitive ones(but I still love casual competitive console/pc multiplayer, mostly fps, mmos, and high moon studios transformer games, so I'd rather not take that out completely). I had hoped to gain my answer without bothering you guys, but it has been a bit hard.  The direction I was going was Pro 900s, or 990 premiums.  Isolation isn't much of a concern, tho my wife would probably appreciate it. Also I would prefer them able to run just off a Mixamp. The list puts 990 premiums up there for both, which I like but I thought I read that it may need another amp to power.  I know the pro 900s will work with just the amp, natural feel was a concern tho, which made the he400s intriguing more recently, but bass was a concern.  Price is not TOO much of a concern either but d7000s are out lol.  Whatcha guys think?

- Rico

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #6,673 of 48,578
Hey there, new member here, wanted to ask a quick question for you guys.

I have a 5.1 Mixamp + A30 set, and I wanted to upgrade the cans. I basically play single player games, and wanted the best immersion possible, so I don't really care for positioning, just for a more "Home Theater"  experience.

Would you recommend closed or open back headphones in this case? Any suggestions close to $100?

Thanks (and sorry if this was already covered and I missed it!).

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #6,674 of 48,578
Sean, I'm very happy that they suited you. :)

Rob, the Creative Aurvana Live has you covered. They are exactly what you want for $100 or less. The closest open back I recommend would be the DT990 pros, but they go for about $70-100 more than your price range. If you can afford $150, the DT770 Pro 80 is even more immersive than the CAL, but I'd honestly save up a little bit extra for the 990 pros if you're going up to that price bracket, as they are a clear step up for just $20 or so more.

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster here.  One, I'd like to thank MLE for beginning this thread as it's very informative for n00bs(like me) and vets alike, and for those others helping aswell. Two, long story short, two cans later I realized that I much rather fun over competitive ones(but I still love casual competitive console/pc multiplayer, mostly fps, mmos, and high moon studios transformer games, so I'd rather not take that out completely). I had hoped to gain my answer without bothering you guys, but it has been a bit hard.  The direction I was going was Pro 900s, or 990 premiums.  Isolation isn't much of a concern, tho my wife would probably appreciate it. Also I would prefer them able to run just off a Mixamp. The list puts 990 premiums up there for both, which I like but I thought I read that it may need another amp to power.  I know the pro 900s will work with just the amp, natural feel was a concern tho, which made the he400s intriguing more recently, but bass was a concern.  Price is not TOO much of a concern either but d7000s are out lol.  Whatcha guys think?

- Rico

If you can swing the HE400 (make sure you buy new, as old ones may be older version that sounds different) with velours, they will blow your mind. So far I'd say that for gaming, they are an 8.5 for fun, 8 for competitive. Meaning great halfway to amazing, and great. They are both fun and well balanced. What the PC360 on SQ steroids would be. Do not worry about bass. It's not super emphasized like the Pro 900s, but it is very rich, and strong when necessary. I'd put actual quantity at an 8. More presence than the Pro 2900 and DT880.

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #6,675 of 48,578
Thanks for the recommendation, I was looking at the CAL and they really do look good, specially at that price point (I live abroad, so everything is extra expensive due to importing fees).

I see you prefer it to the M50, in what situations do you think the M50 would be a better headphone? It's just that I hear so many good things about the M50, that I can't help but think that in the long run they would be a better buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back