Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 13, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #6,362 of 48,562
The Zalman sucks. Just don't. Wait for the Antlion V2, and get the Dealextreme clip on mic in the meantime for like less than $3, though shipping takes a month. Dunno when the Antlion is released. I myself have no need for it because the DX clip on is perfect.
Yes, the AD700s aren't really anything special outside of competitive FPS gaming.

Just received my zalman mic couple of days ago nothing to complain about, tested it on the ps3 and the pc. Sounds good on the ps3 and pc and my friends didn't complain about bad voice chat whatsoever.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #6,363 of 48,562
Quality control on the Zalman mic is all over the place. The one I had was unusably bad. It had to be right next to my mouth, yet was also picking up background sounds. It was almost as if it was filtering my voice out.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #6,364 of 48,562
Quote:
Will we who just got the mic be able to up grade?  Anything said about that?

While this would make me immensely happy, I'm not holding my breath for something like an exchange to happen. From a business standpoint, they had to change their production guidelines, order a whole lot more product usually out of pocket up front to get the first batches run, and they wanna make money. So yeah, I'd love to have them upgrade the ones they've sold recently. But I will be surprised if they do. I believe the announcement was made on twitter so it could be worth asking on there, or maybe emailing/calling their customer service.

If you bought it very recently, there's the option of returning the one you just got and waiting a bit longer. When the V2 comes out, I know I'll be buying it the day it's available. Tired of muting by keyboard shortcuts/unplugging the cable on the mixamp.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #6,365 of 48,562
Quote:
Well, battlefield 3 uses the frostbite 2 engine. I can't comment on positional accuracy at the moment, but I would say the only gun combo that consistently gives me a bad day is the Saiga and other automatic shotguns. It seems pretty balanced, I mean even an M9 can do decently as a fallback. I also think the audio Doesn't get more chaotic than MW3 when the airspace gets filled up with killstreak rewards.
What do you play these days?

These days, for multiplayer FPSs, I usually fire up Unreal Tournament 1999/2004, Battlefield 1942/Vietnam/2, or Killing Floor. Starting to get into Red Orchestra 1 again, now that I have the standalone Steam release and not just the UT 2004 mod version.

I'd also be down for ArmA II if I could get a good co-op group together.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #6,366 of 48,562
My DT990 Premium 600 arrived and I can attest (I don't think anyone doubted) that these cans are outstanding for gaming with a huge soundstage, excellent positioning, great lower bass and impact. The treble isn't a problem in gaming. The DT990 pro had actually a lesser soundstage and the bass isn't as precise.

I tested these cans on my Titanium HD so far with CMSS-3D on in Battlefield 3. THD -> Asus E1 DAC -> Violectric V200. I will test more games later and I will be testing with Dolby Headphone over my Xonar STX as well (yes, I have two soundcards :D).

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #6,368 of 48,562
Thanks to everyone here for being helpful.

I have decided on getting the Samson SR850, along with the Dealextreme mic (just want to confirm is it this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-clip-on-microphone-7080) and when the Antlion ModMic V2 comes out I will get that instead.  Now all I have left to do is get the mixamp.  I will try to hold out and get the wireless one because I sit on the opposite wall from where my tv is and don't want cords all across my room.  On the wireless mixamp, does it still come with the splitter to use my own Headphones/Mic?  I just want to make sure.

Also if I am forgetting anything let me know please :)

Thanks.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #6,369 of 48,562
Ztrains,
I think you've got everything, and the Mixamp 5.8 has all needed adapters besides PS3 chat via USB. The only thing is, if you're not getting the Mixamp right away, you're gonna need:
an adapter for your mic like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FV8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A24DV7X9AF5F1B
And an RCA to Headphone adapter if you don't already have one.

Jul 13, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #6,370 of 48,562
Quote:
 When the V2 comes out, I know I'll be buying it the day it's available. Tired of muting by keyboard shortcuts/unplugging the cable on the mixamp.

For people who play on Xbox, they can always use one of these to mute any mic:

http://store.turtlebeach.com/talkbackxboxlivecablepuckbkoptional.aspx
http://store.turtlebeach.com/cabx1talkbackcable-2.aspx

Jul 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #6,372 of 48,562
Quote:

For people who play on Xbox, they can always use one of these to mute any mic:

http://store.turtlebeach.com/talkbackxboxlivecablepuckbkoptional.aspx
http://store.turtlebeach.com/cabx1talkbackcable-2.aspx

Sure beats my clunky/huge XLR muting system. I'll probably get one of these.

Jul 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #6,373 of 48,562
Quote:
Ztrains,
I think you've got everything, and the Mixamp 5.8 has all needed adapters besides PS3 chat via USB. The only thing is, if you're not getting the Mixamp right away, you're gonna need:
an adapter for your mic like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FV8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A24DV7X9AF5F1B
And an RCA to Headphone adapter if you don't already have one.

how good is that adapter? it seems like most of the reviews are negative 

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #6,374 of 48,562
how good is that adapter? it seems like most of the reviews are negative 

Well it's a dollar product from Hong Kong. No guarantee you will get one in working order, but the reviews are about even between 5 star and 1 star. Factor in how people with bad experiences are more likely to post, and how many of those reviews are from people who didn't realize they were getting a product incomparable with an iPhone or whatever, and I think your chances are pretty good. Especially low risk cuz you'd only be out a dollar.

Also, all the cable adapters have really skewed ratings, but this one is the #3 most bought headphone adapter on Amazon. You might find one at RadioShack too.

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #6,375 of 48,562
Quote:
My DT990 Premium 600 arrived and I can attest (I don't think anyone doubted) that these cans are outstanding for gaming with a huge soundstage, excellent positioning, great lower bass and impact. The treble isn't a problem in gaming. The DT990 pro had actually a lesser soundstage and the bass isn't as precise.

I tested these cans on my Titanium HD so far with CMSS-3D on in Battlefield 3. THD -> Asus E1 DAC -> Violectric V200. I will test more games later and I will be testing with Dolby Headphone over my Xonar STX as well (yes, I have two soundcards :D).

want

Users who are viewing this thread

Back