Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #6,391 of 48,576
Its hard to pinpoint, but the Ultrasone's presentation of sound is a little different. I guess they tried to make it seem like the sound is coming from a bigger room, but it moved the detail further back. I'm just assuming though.

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #6,392 of 48,576
You can't blame S-Logic for recessed mids. Signature Pro alone is the best proof.

Jul 15, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #6,396 of 48,576
Got to try a pair of Sony XB500 at a graduation party today. It was pretty LOL. The pads were comfy and the bass was strong, but I think my $75 Crossfade LPs that I bought by accident were just as bassy without entirely losing most of the rest of the freq spectrum, less sweaty, and easier to live with. It's comparisons like that which make me consider keeping it for "special situations," but overall I feel similarly about the LP as you (Mad) feel about the Ultrasone 900.

I need to finish writing my Q701 review.

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #6,397 of 48,576
So I couldn't wait for the AKG K550 to come back in stock since they were on back order. So I place two orders for the same price. :) A pair of CAL!s for when I need that bass kick, my mother is coming up in August so I was able to get her to bring them and some HM5s from MPnation. So I will be trying both with the mixamp and my E9/E17 setup. I sort of got both sides of the coin here I hope.

Jul 16, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #6,398 of 48,576
Hi everyone I read Mad Lust's review and I am having a hard time deciding which headphones would be the best for me.I was thinking on the Q701 but I just found out the they are open and not closed. I need a pair that are closed as where I will be gaming there is most of the time allot of background noise. I was looking to spend no more than $300 and while I will be mostly using them for PC gaming I would also like them to be good for hearing music also. I currently do not have any top of the line sound card or mix amp would I also need to get one to be able to get the best sound out of the headphones ? I am fairly new to all this so it would be great if someone could help me out.

Thanks 

P.S. Thanks Mad Lust for your reviews it really is the best place for gaming headphones reviews

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #6,399 of 48,576
I am not suggesting just pointing in a direction to start reading, 

DT770pro 80ohm
AKG K550
CAL!

Even more closed sounding not necessarily more isolating.

KNK8400
Koss DJ100 with M50 pads
Tockdweller (Sorry for the spelling) has had some success with dolby headphone with these cans.

I would say the Fischer Audio FA-03/Yoga/Lindy/Digitech/Jaycar variant but until I have heard mine I am not even thinking of recommending it I still can't find any info of anyone trying it with dolby or cmss.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #6,400 of 48,576
Ultrasone Pro 900 isolates well :

,,Isolation: I know I haven't done this with any other headphone, but that's usually because I prefer open headphones, which don't isolate well at all. Because the Pro 900 IS closed, I feel it necessary to mention how well it does. I feel that it keeps outside noises out well enough (certainly leaps and bounds better than the D7000), and does incredibly well keeping sound from leaking out, even with it's velour pads."

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #6,401 of 48,576
Hey guys, what would be a better choice for virtual surround + headphones for gaming?

1) Get a JVC / asto mixamp 

2) Get a 7.1 receiver from 2005 with some dolby virtual surround/ virtualization feature?

How do 7.1 HT receivers usually perform for headphones?

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #6,402 of 48,576
Quote:
Hey guys, what would be a better choice for virtual surround + headphones for gaming?

1) Get a JVC / asto mixamp 

2) Get a 7.1 receiver from 2005 with some dolby virtual surround/ virtualization feature?

How do 7.1 HT receivers usually perform for headphones?

1) Mixamp, I believe the JVC is very difficult to find.

2) Hmm gives you a ton more options down the road and you could use it with a PC, PS3, Xbox, TV without having to play the swap the optical game. Not sure of the sound quality of amps though.

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #6,403 of 48,576
I guess it comes down to whether or not you plan on using voice chat. If not, I'd probably get the receiver for the variety of things it can do, as Hailin noted. If yes, I'd definitely get the Mixamp.

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #6,404 of 48,576
well, the thing that inspired me to peek into this rabbit hole is PS3 purchase and being unable to communicate with Battlefield3 squad members.. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #6,405 of 48,576
Quote:
well, the thing that inspired me to peek into this rabbit hole is PS3 purchase and being unable to communicate with Battlefield3 squad members.. 

A mixamp is probably the easiest way then. You can go the DSS route but it can get complicated with buying an extra adapter. But you may start like I did with  an A40 setup. Next thing you know you have tons of money in multiple sets of headphones and headphone amps chained your mixamp, and wires all over the place.

What makes it all worth it is "Hey there is an group of enemies behind us." Sure enough a min or two later a group of whatever will walk over that hill or through that door and your friends reply with how did you know? Happened again just this weekend in Iron Brigade. In Left for Dead 2 I was put on scout duty, same with Dead Island. That game leaves you a tad scatter brained though because you can hear zombies from every which way. Awesome and terrifying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back