Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #6,046 of 48,568
I'd be wary of cheap Chinese amps, unless they have already proven themselves many times on Head-Fi.

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #6,047 of 48,568
Quote:

Since you love them so much Chico, what kind of amp or dac or w/e do you use? I want something that will give them the fullness and warmth everyone talks about. I guess I need a warmer amp that compliments the Q701.

I use a Matrix M-stage, with an HRT Music Streamer II as the DAC. 

Keep in mind, I don't have all that much experience with different amps.  I have heard the E9 though, and it slightly less full sounding with weaker mids than the M-stage.  That may be similar to how the O2 sounds. 

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #6,048 of 48,568
Quote:
How good is this dac/amp?

[size=small]

"Topping TP-D2 Headphone AMP & USB Coaxial DAC & Sound Card Power Amplifier"

[/size] lhttp://tinyurl.com/7fubles

Actually, I think I might give my O2 to my wife for here Velodyne VPulse and find a more Q701 friendly amp. Since you love them so much Chico, what kind of amp or dac or w/e do you use? I want something that will give them the fullness and warmth everyone talks about. I guess I need a warmer amp that compliments the Q701.

I'm far from an expert, but an amplifier with an output impedance of 200-Ohm just seems wrong to me.

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #6,049 of 48,568
Jun 30, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #6,050 of 48,568
I'm looking for a new headphone. I have the Denon D2000 and they sound great but my ears get sweaty and hot after 30 mins. Is there something you guys can recommend me that's open and comfortable. Something that won't make my ears sweat. 

Also are there anyone else here that uses their headphones while sleeping? Something that I can sleep on would be a great addition.

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #6,052 of 48,568
Quote:
 Is there something you guys can recommend me that's open and comfortable. Something that won't make my ears sweat. 

Sony MDR MA900 should be pretty cool.

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #6,053 of 48,568
I am going to build a gaming computer in the Fall/Winter and want to make sure I get the best audio experience. Obviously speakers and headphones are important, but I need to work on deciding the parts to use in the computer. What should I be looking for? Dolby Headphone? Is there anything else worth looking into? Does it make that big of a difference? Should I look for motherboards with this built in, or for separate soundcards? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #6,054 of 48,568
I just got the FiiO E11 in he mail earlier today and I've been playing with it, connected to the Q701. Quick frankly, I don't notice a minimal difference at best.

I'm starting to strongly question the suggestion the Q701s really help when amped. Perhaps my ears just aren't sensitive enough to hear the difference. Or maybe the THDs are "good enough" for driving the headphones.

All said, the Q701s standalone are still amazing to me - between comfort and sound. I should be getting the PRO 550s in the mail on Monday. It'll be interesting to see how they head up against the Q701s. 

P.S. I have the "gain" set to Low and the EQ set to 0 on the E11s.

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #6,055 of 48,568
Quote:
I just got the FiiO E11 in he mail earlier today and I've been playing with it, connected to the Q701. Quick frankly, I don't notice a minimal difference at best.
I'm starting to strongly question the suggestion the Q701s really help when amped. Perhaps my ears just aren't sensitive enough to hear the difference. Or maybe the THDs are "good enough" for driving the headphones.
All said, the Q701s standalone are still amazing to me - between comfort and sound. I should be getting the PRO 550s in the mail on Monday. It'll be interesting to see how they head up against the Q701s. 

Did you let the battery on the E11 full charge?
Try set the voltage switch to high, it's located under the battery.

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #6,056 of 48,568
Quote:
For resting? KSC75
Open, non-sweaty? DT880/DT990/Q701/HE300/HD598

Yeah I have the KSC75. It's what I'm using now when I'm watching something in bed to fall a sleep. Just thought I'll ask here for something better. I'm thinking of the DT880 or the HD598. Which do you think is more comfortable and airy? I don't really want to spend too much for it. Something around $200-$250. 

Quote:

Sony MDR MA900 should be pretty cool.

Thanks for the suggestion but over budget.

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #6,057 of 48,568
Quote:
I am going to build a gaming computer in the Fall/Winter and want to make sure I get the best audio experience. Obviously speakers and headphones are important, but I need to work on deciding the parts to use in the computer. What should I be looking for? Dolby Headphone? Is there anything else worth looking into? Does it make that big of a difference? Should I look for motherboards with this built in, or for separate soundcards? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Did you check my thread?

If you're going to use both speakers and headphones...are we talking stereo speakers, or surround speakers? If it's the latter, things just got much more complicated since the higher-end sound cards tend not to bother with more than two analog channels.

Jun 30, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #6,058 of 48,568
Quote:

I'm thinking of the DT880 or the HD598. Which do you think is more comfortable and airy? I don't really want to spend too much for it. Something around $200-$250.

Between those two the HD598 is more open and airy.  And more comfortable IMO (more room inside the ear cups).

Jun 30, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #6,059 of 48,568
Mehdi said:
.I just got the FiiO E11 in he mail earlier today and I've been playing with it, connected to the Q701. Quick frankly, I don't notice a minimal difference at best.

Lol, thinking the E11 is actually giving enough power to the Q701. Try harder. The Q701 needs STRONG desktop amps to truly shine. They work fine with little amps, but big amps are where its at for the AKGs. Head-fi has mentioned it countless times.

The only time the E11 should be sufficient is when hooking it up to the Mixamp for gaming. For music and non gaming, you will want amps usually in the $250+ range.

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #6,060 of 48,568
Quote:

On-board audio usually means a low cost DAC (Digital to Analog Converter), a low cost audio processor and the headphone jack is usually a line-out jack that also labels itself a "headphone Jack".
Most people are going to use low cost headphones with these on-board/built in audio.
Some motherboards are starting to ship with with better audio support.
Sound cards like the Creative Titanium HD and Asus Essence STX (& ST) come wiith much better DACs, better surround sound for games and movies. and a headphone jack that can power quality headphones. Both are good for music.
The Titanium HD has the most "gaming" support and the Essence can drive headphones up to 600-Ohms.
I'm biased for the the Asus Xonar Essence STX.

So I would say that it really does not matter too much what audio comes built into a motherboards, adding a sound card will enhance the audio if your looking for "good" audio for gaming and movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back