Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #6,031 of 48,581
And I'm telling you, for me they'd slip and slide all over the place, considering I plug/unplug all manner of cables on a regular basis.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #6,033 of 48,581
Quote:
I've already been told the O2 does move. A strong enough nudge will make it slide around. The O2 weighs less than the E9, and I don't like that the E9 is lightweight and itself moves around, even with feet. The O2 is only about 66% of the E9's weight, so yeah. No thanks. In comparison, the Lyr weighs 7 lbs, and my NFB5 weighs 11 lbs. That's what I want in a set it and forget it desktop amp that won't move around when cleaning around it, plugging in cables, etc.
Not even the Asgard has enough power for the HE-4. Nothing less than something like the EF-5 or Schiit Lyr. The HE-4 will get loud out of even the E9, but it's pathetic sounding in comparison. Don't bother with the HE-4 unless you plan on getting something incredibly potent. I think in terms of cheaper amps, the NFB12 has a ton of power, though I can't be sure it's enough to make the HE-4 shine. SQ isn't just based off power alone... and the NFB5 has the same exact power specs as the NFB12, with different, high quality internals. However, the NFB5 cost me almost as much as the Lyr, after all was said and done (though it's a DAC/AMP).
That said, most headphone amps like the Asgard should work fine for practically any other headphone including the easier to drive HE400 and HE500. The HE-4 is an older model ortho which required an illogical amount of power.
From what I been told, the MStage is better than the Asgard in pretty much all regards for that price. For the price range, the NFB12 is also a candidate, with more power than either of those, though not necessarily better quality.

Yea the Matrix M-Stage is a great amp, I had one and used it with my DT880 pro-250, Even when I went back to a STX.  Since I went back to a STX I in up selling it to use the money on something else.But I enjoyed my Matrix M-Stage very much as well as changing the op-amps inside it.

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #6,034 of 48,581
Quote:
I think I might sell my Q701....

NOOOoooooooooo!!!!!

frown.gif

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #6,035 of 48,581
Quote:

NOOOoooooooooo!!!!!

frown.gif

That was my reaction as well. Unfortunately, I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of bad news from employers. When I left Magnolia, I was told I could either take a paycut or they'd pay me 6 months to find another job. So I can see why MLE would want to. Still a sad thing to consider though. I'd hate to give up mine.

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #6,036 of 48,581
You guys know I love them. I just hardly use them. I hardly use my D7000 too. It'd probably be smarter to sell both, and get just get like the Pro 900 for bass heavy stuff, and like the HE400 for the other stuff. I don't find the Pro 2900 less comfy than the D7000, so I'm sure the Pro 900 would be fine. I really just am fed up with non velour pads.

But honestly, it'd take a lot to give up my D7000.

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #6,037 of 48,581
Man, even my Lyr slides around and it's a pretty solid hunk of gear. I wish it weighed 2-3x as much.

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #6,038 of 48,581
Quote:
You guys know I love them. I just hardly use them. I hardly use my D7000 too. It'd probably be smarter to sell both, and get just get like the Pro 900 for bass heavy stuff, and like the HE400 for the other stuff. I don't find the Pro 2900 less comfy than the D7000, so I'm sure the Pro 900 would be fine. I really just am fed up with non velour pads.
But honestly, it'd take a lot to give up my D7000.

I see.   How you feel about the D7000 is probably how I feel about the Q701.  It was and is my end-game headphone, as I don't expect to find cans better than the Q701 until I get to the pricey stuff - and I'm not sure I want to go there.  I also have no intentions of buying any more amps or DACs (except maybe the ODA/ODAC).

You don't think think you'll try the T90 do you?  I'm curious what Zombie will think of them.  I still have no real idea about how they sound though.

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #6,039 of 48,581
Wow, just checked in on AVS forum and it looks completely different.  About time too - that forum was ugly!!

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #6,040 of 48,581
I'm curious about the T90, but I don't think it will be much different from the Q701 in terms of it's strengths. For that, I may as well keep the Q701. However, I prefer something with more bass and velour pads, as that would be more beneficial to my preferred genres, and single player gaming (which is mostly what I play). I honestly don't like online gaming, save CoD, and even that is played out.

I'm more interested in the HE400 outfitted with velours. I'm just afraid it'll be too warm. It's between that and the Pro 900.. even though the Pro 900 is a backstep considering what I own. At least I'm pretty sure the Pro 900 would be a right fit for me...

I'm looking for end game... eventually. I guess it will be the D7000+HE400...

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #6,041 of 48,581
This might be a weird question...but if i buy an amp will i be able to LOWER the volume? On my PC i need to have overall volume on 20% for my ears to not blow away,but all other sounds from games are silent then too...i wish i could keep 100% pc voice but control volume on headphones.

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #6,042 of 48,581
Quote:
This might be a weird question...but if i buy an amp will i be able to LOWER the volume? On my PC i need to have overall volume on 20% for my ears to not blow away,but all other sounds from games are silent then too...i wish i could keep 100% pc voice but control volume on headphones.

Yeah you can. I've never heard of an amp that doesn't have a volume control and most should have a gain/overdrive/etc.

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #6,043 of 48,581
How good is this dac/amp?

[size=small]

"Topping TP-D2 Headphone AMP & USB Coaxial DAC & Sound Card Power Amplifier"

[/size] lhttp://tinyurl.com/7fubles

Actually, I think I might give my O2 to my wife for here Velodyne VPulse and find a more Q701 friendly amp. Since you love them so much Chico, what kind of amp or dac or w/e do you use? I want something that will give them the fullness and warmth everyone talks about. I guess I need a warmer amp that compliments the Q701.

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #6,044 of 48,581
That looks like an M Stage clone (though I believe the M Stage is also a clone). Ask on Head-fi. The internals could be different, and much worse. Buying off ebay... that's quite a risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Jcor
Back