Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #6,017 of 48,568
FWIH, the O2 is a very transparent amp. Honestly, a transparent amp is what I'd recommend as the first amp anyone should get. That being said, certain headphones prefer warm sounding amps, and some prefer bright sounding amps. Usually, getting the latter two is only recommended for those who know what they want and want to build around their headphone, instead of around their amp.

The issues I have heard about the O2/Q701 is that it can sound thin, anemic, compared to warm amps, which is understandable. Doesn't mean the O2 is worse, or lacking. It's just the Q701's preference for full sounding amps. The E9 itself isn't far from transparent, but perhaps the 10ohm output gives the Q701 a slight hint of warmth, which is why people like the E9 with the Q701 as much as they do. Normally though, you'll want a low output impedance, like the O2's.

For those looking for an amp to attach to the Mixamp, the O2 would definitely be my first choice as it's not very big, cheap, transparent, and with plenty of power. Personally, I don't have a need for one, and would rather wait for the desktop version (ODA) if I did.

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #6,018 of 48,568
Quote:
FWIH, the O2 is a very transparent amp. Honestly, a transparent amp is what I'd recommend as the first amp anyone should get. That being said, certain headphones prefer warm sounding amps, and some prefer bright sounding amps. Usually, getting the latter two is only recommended for those who know what they want and want to build around their headphone, instead of around their amp.
The issues I have heard about the O2/Q701 is that it can sound thin, anemic, compared to warm amps, which is understandable. Doesn't mean the O2 is worse, or lacking. It's just the Q701's preference for full sounding amps. The E9 itself isn't far from transparent, but perhaps the 10ohm output gives the Q701 a slight hint of warmth, which is why people like the E9 with the Q701 as much as they do. Normally though, you'll want a low output impedance, like the O2's.
For those looking for an amp to attach to the Mixamp, the O2 would definitely be my first choice as it's not very big, cheap, transparent, and with plenty of power. Personally, I don't have a need for one, and would rather wait for the desktop version (ODA) if I did.

The O2 Amp is a desktop version though?

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #6,019 of 48,568
Quote:

Quote:

So what's a warm sounding amp? - As in besides the E9 what else is? Any recommendations? Also what does one sound like. (What is warm sounding?)

Quote:

Yes and no. It has it's own rechargeable batteries but at the same time it also has AC power supply capable. I use it as a desktop amp and it's great.

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #6,020 of 48,568
OMG OGM OMG am i hearing things??!

Just connected DT 990 Premium directly to THD and im already destroyed. What a sound,what quality...i hear things i never heard before (even in shop while testing on amp!). Volume is ULTRA HIGH (need to tone down to 15% lol).

To anyone having doubts or wondering if Titanium HD can handle DT 990...they can and they do it RIGHT.

Im almost sure with proper amp it will be paradise,thats why im thinking about ditching idea of buying FiiO E9 and go directly into something better (Schiit asgard or valhalla mby?)

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #6,021 of 48,568
Quote:

Just connected DT 990 Premium directly to THD and im already destroyed. What a sound,what quality...i hear things i never heard before (even in shop while testing on amp!). Volume is ULTRA HIGH (need to tone down to 15% lol).

To anyone having doubts or wondering if Titanium HD can handle DT 990...they can and they do it RIGHT.

Im almost sure with proper amp it will be paradise,thats why im thinking about ditching idea of buying FiiO E9 and go directly into something better (Schiit asgard or valhalla mby?)

Bad ass yo! Congrats! 
L3000.gif

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #6,022 of 48,568
The O2 isn't desktop sized though. It's really small for a desktop amp, and connecting/diconnecting, hell just touching the O2 would cause it to slide around. I want something a bit more stable. That, and I don't like the front facing inputs.

It makes no sense to me. Inputs should be on the back. Having the ac adapter AND audio input next to the headphone jack... that's a terrible choice. The only cable that should connect to the front should be the headphone cable. Hell, I'd be happy with an amplifier with the headphone input on the back, making the front all nice and clutter free.

My NFB 5 is like a mini AV receiver size... just how I want my stationary amps to be. The Schiit amps are also nice sized and sturdy.

I can't wait to see what the ODA will look like.

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #6,025 of 48,568
I've already been told the O2 does move. A strong enough nudge will make it slide around. The O2 weighs less than the E9, and I don't like that the E9 is lightweight and itself moves around, even with feet. The O2 is only about 66% of the E9's weight, so yeah. No thanks. In comparison, the Lyr weighs 7 lbs, and my NFB5 weighs 11 lbs. That's what I want in a set it and forget it desktop amp that won't move around when cleaning around it, plugging in cables, etc.

Not even the Asgard has enough power for the HE-4. Nothing less than something like the EF-5 or Schiit Lyr. The HE-4 will get loud out of even the E9, but it's pathetic sounding in comparison. Don't bother with the HE-4 unless you plan on getting something incredibly potent. I think in terms of cheaper amps, the NFB12 has a ton of power, though I can't be sure it's enough to make the HE-4 shine. SQ isn't just based off power alone... and the NFB5 has the same exact power specs as the NFB12, with different, high quality internals. However, the NFB5 cost me almost as much as the Lyr, after all was said and done (though it's a DAC/AMP).

That said, most headphone amps like the Asgard should work fine for practically any other headphone including the easier to drive HE400 and HE500. The HE-4 is an older model ortho which required an illogical amount of power.

From what I been told, the MStage is better than the Asgard in pretty much all regards for that price. For the price range, the NFB12 is also a candidate, with more power than either of those, though not necessarily better quality.

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #6,026 of 48,568
Quote:

I man, I can't wait to try these next ^_^

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #6,027 of 48,568
$450-500 amps to drive equally expensive headphones? "Sorry about your wallet" indeed...

Am I the only one who prefers dynamic/ortho headphones to be sensitive enough to drive without the really expensive amplifiers?

EDIT: Just found a post in my thread with a quote I really want to discuss here.

As far as advice for/against Dolby Headphone through a USB headset or a soundcard with Dolby (or other positional simulator), HRTFs are extremely complex to do correctly, and generally work best when exactly matched to the response curve of the headset and even the axis of the driver relative to the ear cup. This means that *most* people get positional audio cues better from a USB headset because the audio engineers can design the entire system to produce the closest representation of the HRTF.

Needless to say, I'm extremely skeptical about this. Yes, HRTFs are difficult to do when everyone has a unique HRTF, but is some cheap headset with cheap drivers that has a specially-tailored HRTF going to beat out an audiophile headphone with quality drivers and a more generic binaural HRTF tech?

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #6,028 of 48,568
Well yeah, I too prefer to have headphones that don't require a power plant, lol. Denon D7000 comes to mind. It sounds loud and amazing even off my PSP... and the PSP is a VERY WEAK source, power-wise.

Still, ideally, you have to find a happy medium. A headphone that sounds good unamped, but sounds better with one.

I think I might sell my Q701, and go for an ortho later on. D7000 stays though. XD

If anyone in is interested (US only) in a pair of white Q701s, pm me. Willing to unload them for $205 total. (the $5 to shave off a little off the paypal fee).

Most likely going to put up a listing on the sale section tomorrow.

We just lost the contract at work, and they'll be sending me somewhere else a few days from now, so my check is gonna be missing like 4 days of work. I'm gonna need the cash.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #6,029 of 48,568
Ouch. My family's running tight on funds lately, so I know the feeling. Best of luck to you.

My dilemma is that my primary headphones can't run unamped. This isn't a matter of imperfect sound, but no sound. I'm taking the cheap way out by using an old receiver and the SRD-7/SB they came with, but the dedicated amps like the SRM-1/Mk2 Pro and SRM-313 start at around $300-400 used, and the prices just keep going way, way up to the point of $5,700 BHSEs...

Naturally, I have to keep a different set of headphones around for portable use. (Not necessarily outdoors, but around the house, since I have just one SU-DH1 that I shuffle between my bedroom and the living room, depending on what console I want to use it with. Attaching a heavy, bulky amp kind of kills the portability there.) But the Head-Fi hype machine sure makes it seem like even the $250 or so headphones like the K701 and Q701 will sound absolutely horrible and unlistenable unless you have an equally expensive amp to back them up, which just makes it all the more difficult to find that ideal set which sounds good unamped, but may get even better when properly amped.

Oh, and now that I think about that quoted post...you'd think that if those gaming headsets were designed around their HRTFs, then the likes of the Tritton AX720 and Astro A40 wouldn't be constantly ditched because they'd be perfectly suited to Dolby Headphone's positional cues. This thread wouldn't exist!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back