Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 9, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #4,651 of 48,562

Quote:
(I bet I'm going to regret this)
*Just* as a...mental exercise...I'm wondering what cheap closed, circumaurals would be good complement to my DT 880 for gaming. Read tdockweiler's praise for the Koss DJ100 and it got me curious.

Maybe the KRK KNS 8400. Both of those are supra-aural I think...

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #4,653 of 48,562
Ahh, ok, makes perfect sense now!  Ever see any mic (as are common 2.5mm size) adapters with a mute switch?  That's one important factor i'm looking for... and you did say it's quiet hooking the mic up this way, no?  

As for the actual mic, I know this new "mod mic" is popular... but is it any good quality wise?  For $30 it better damn well be lol.  I've heard bad things about the Zalman ZIM-MIC1.

If using the Dolby box from the AX720's... how would one hookup their own headset and mic... the only output seems to be a unique port on the front... def. not a standard usb!

Pretty sure I say this once a week, at least: The puck on the cable splits into two pieces, revealing two 3.5mm inputs. One for audio, one for mics.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #4,654 of 48,562
Every single sub $100 headset I've used have sucked so badly, its not worth recommending anything. The cheapest I'd go with is the AX720 combo that comes with the decoder box and headset for $130. The box alone is worth the investment, and the headset isn't the worst I've heard . I'd be happy with it as a headset, if I couldn't afford the PC360.

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #4,656 of 48,562
Lol, $10? No. Headsets are very mediocre until you hit around $200.

I'd recommend an actual headphone + external mic.

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #4,658 of 48,562

Quote:
Ahh, ok, makes perfect sense now!  Ever see any mic (as are common 2.5mm size) adapters with a mute switch?  That's one important factor i'm looking for... and you did say it's quiet hooking the mic up this way, no?  

As for the actual mic, I know this new "mod mic" is popular... but is it any good quality wise?  For $30 it better damn well be lol.  I've heard bad things about the Zalman ZIM-MIC1.

If using the Dolby box from the AX720's... how would one hookup their own headset and mic... the only output seems to be a unique port on the front... def. not a standard usb!

Intec used to make a headset adapter for 3rd party or cell phone headsets that plugged into the controller. It was basically the puck from the old xbox360 headset but instead of a wire it had a 2.5mm jack. It has a mute switch and a volume dial. I have one of these that I bought on clearance from Fry's years ago and it has been discontinued for just as long, which sucks because they were the only ones that made that. Build quality is passable but it would sometimes inject static into the voice channel but replugging the adapter would fix it. I just ended up not bothering using it. I checked ebay and I saw one guy selling one if you're interested.

As for mics, I've had okay but not a stellar experience with the zalman. As for the mic I'm using, I have no idea what it is because I found it in a big pile of cables from a guy at a swap meet. It's working fine but I'm thinking about trying to find like different mics for stuff like pocket recorders.

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #4,660 of 48,562
[size=9pt]Hi all[/size]

[size=9pt]First off, I’m new here – just wanted to say the advice on this site is fantastic and makes great reading, thanks to everyone. [/size]

[size=9pt]Basically, I’m looking for headphones mainly for console gaming, movies, and some music (mainly rock/electronic/some classical). I’ve got a mixamp on order and I’m looking for headphones around about £150 ($200). As far as gaming is concerned, I mainly play single player games so whilst I’m looking for good positional accuracy I’d rather go for ‘phones that immerse you in the game with plenty of bass rather than allowing you to pick out every detail.[/size]

[size=9pt]So far, from all the advice here I think I’m better off with headphones rather than a headset. Also, open-backed ‘phones seem better for the immersive experience I’m after (sound leakage is not a problem). I think I’ve narrowed things down to:[/size]

[size=9pt]Beyer DT990 600 ohm / DT990 250 ohm[/size]
[size=9pt]Beyer DT770 80 Pro[/size]
[size=9pt]Sennheiser 558[/size]

[size=9pt]Anyone recommend which of these would give me a ‘wow’ factor? I’ve never owned audiophile headphones before so will probably be easily impressed![/size]

[size=9pt]Also, can those headphones be driven by the mixamp – or do I need to add an amp such as an E9 – especially for the DT990 600s?[/size]

[size=9pt]And apologies for asking questions that have undoubtedly been asked many times before but there’s just so many opinions and reviews it’s easy to get lost! [/size]

[size=9pt]Thanks for any help.[/size]

[size=9pt]Darren[/size]

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #4,661 of 48,562

Quote:
Pretty sure I say this once a week, at least: The puck on the cable splits into two pieces, revealing two 3.5mm inputs. One for audio, one for mics.

Yeah, I totally didn't even think of that... doh.  Well I found a new Turtle Beach DX11 set at best buy for $79 so I snagged that.  The X11 headset is not bad at all, i was surprised!  Loads more detailed than the ax720.  The 720 sounds awfully bloat in the lower regions. 

Im using the DSS with the wired in-line control switch/dual 3.5 jack from an AX180 along with the mic from it on an adapter.  Sounds fantastic!  The most fun cans of mine to use with the DSS so far are also my cheapest... the Pany HTF600 are super fun with with Mass Effect 3!  The opening "tutorial" portion of the game when the reaper ships are attacking earth was fn' epic! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #4,662 of 48,562
does anyone know if there is any new survival horror games scheduled for release on the wii..i hope they do a remake of silent hill 2 because they did shattered memories which was quite good but not a patch on the first one on the playstation..in my opinion survival horror games are the best games on the wii so a few more would be nice.. everthing else on the wii is just for kids!

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #4,663 of 48,562

Quote:
[size=9pt]Basically, I’m looking for headphones mainly for console gaming, movies, and some music (mainly rock/electronic/some classical). I’ve got a Mix-amp on order and I’m looking for headphones around about £150 ($200). As far as gaming is concerned, I mainly play single player games so whilst I’m looking for good positional accuracy I’d rather go for ‘phones that immerse you in the game with plenty of bass rather than allowing you to pick out every detail.[/size]
[size=9pt]So far, from all the advice here I think I’m better off with headphones rather than a headset. Also, open-backed ‘phones seem better for the immersive experience I’m after (sound leakage is not a problem). I think I’ve narrowed things down to:[/size]
[size=9pt]Beyer DT990 600 ohm / DT990 250 ohm[/size]
[size=9pt]Beyer DT770 80 Pro[/size]
[size=9pt]Sennheiser 558[/size]
[size=9pt]Anyone recommend which of these would give me a ‘wow’ factor? I’ve never owned audiophile headphones before so will probably be easily impressed![/size]
[size=9pt]Also, can those headphones be driven by the Mix-amp – or do I need to add an amp such as an E9 – especially for the DT990 600s?[/size]
[size=9pt]And apologies for asking questions that have undoubtedly been asked many times before but there’s just so many opinions and reviews it’s easy to get lost! [/size]

I own 3 out of the 4 head phones you have listed.
Open headphone are better for long term listening as they (At least for my 47 year old ears) put less wear and tear on the ear drums.
The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm and Senn HD558 will be the easiest to drive with the Mix-Amp.
The DT990 600-Ohm might be a little too much for the Mix-Amp, so the E9 would be needed.
The DT990 Pro 250-Ohm would have more Bass & Treble then the DT770 & HD558.
DT990 are like "Give me the movie theater sound"
I would recommend going with the Sennheiser HD558.
The Sennheiser HD-558 would easily work with the Mix-Amp and is an open headphone.

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #4,665 of 48,562

Quote:
Thanks for the reply PurpleAngel, the 558s may be the best way to go for me then. I know the bass won't be as pronounced as the Beyer's but do you think the 558s work well for games and films?

I use the HD558s for both music and movies (well more TV movies), I use the DT990 Pro 250-ohm for DVD/Blu-ray movies and my Yamaha RX-V671 receiver powers the DT990 just fine, have not gamed in 8 years, but have over a dozen unopened PC games.
The HD558 may seem more analytical then warm to some, but they really do not have any weaknesses.
And they do not need as good an amplifier as 250-Ohm or 600-Ohm headphones (which they need to sound their best).
As I said before the DT990 have a great theater sound, but their bass & treble might over shadow the vocals for some (like normal TV stuff).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back