Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 12, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #4,681 of 48,566
It's dependent on how you wanna enjoy the game. A complete lack of bass may help you out a little more, but you can't base skill purely on your ability to hear subtle noises.

Honestly, a bass light headphone isn't necessary to kick ass competitively. I recommend a well balanced headphone. They don't have to be lacking in bass. The DT880 and Q701 are good examples of headphones with bass that still has great detail in everything else.

A bass heavy headphone is more enjoyable for non-competitive purposes. However. just because it's bassy doesn't mean they wouldn't do well competitively, hence why the D7000 and DT990 are two headphones I don't have issues with online.

If you find yourself playing online competitively a lot more than by yourself and non-comptitively, the I'd say get a well balanced headphone.

If you're like me, who plays mostly offline, then a bassy headphone would be my first recommendation.

If you can afford one balanced, one bassy, then you have all your bases covered. :wink:

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #4,682 of 48,566
I have never been much of an online player at all. Reading discussions about being polite and friendly. People would just say they are all into winning and if swearing and being racist would give them any kind of psychological advantage they would use it no problem. Loved playing lans back in the day with friends. Always fun to talking crap with your friends and cracking jokes.

Got myself a akg q701 and a m audio q40 a cheep fun set for on the go. Plan on getting a dennon once I get all my stuff together to justify the cost.

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #4,683 of 48,566

Quote:
The 598 too much bass? Where did you hear this? The HD598 is not much of a difference from the PC360 itself, aside from more mids, and refinement overall. The bass is anything but heavy.
The HD598 isn't anywhere near my first choice for a cinematic experience. The bass is considerably lacking for that.

Yes, the more I read about the 598s the more I realised they wouldn't have as much bass as I wanted. I'm now thinking of the AHD2000, HD600s, or maybe the DT880/DT990s. Decisions, decisions!! I may go for the D2000s as they sound a bit easier to drive straight from a mixamp. Unless I get an E9 for the other phones. Hmmm.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #4,684 of 48,566
That'd be what I'd get if I were in your situation, had I not owned the D7000.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #4,685 of 48,566
Hey MLE and fellow gamers,

I will receive my DT990 pros 250 ohms today and in your opinion I want to know what the perfect volume combination is for you.

Here is my setup:
Astro Mixamp 5.8 Main volume is at 12 O' clock position and the small knob is on maximum on the game side.
Fiio E9 amp has the gain knob in the down position, and I usually play with the volume knob around 11 or 12 O' clock position.
Headphones I use: Fischer Audio FA-011 and the KNS 6400

Side note: I mainly play MW3 online.

With the DT990 pros coming in today, I want some pwning sound whoring ability even though the sound in MW3 is not as good.

Finally, what volume settings would you recommend?

Thanks and post away guys...

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #4,686 of 48,566
Hey all, just want to update on ME3 + MixAmp Pro (pre-2010) + DT880 (250, 2005 ver.)--pretty darned good on multiplayer. 
Main dial is on 1 o'clock, chat mix dial is on 12-1 o'clock, everything seems clear enough for me.

It doesn't sound like there's any footstep noise in the multiplayer though. Can anyone confirm?

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #4,687 of 48,566
Haven't touched ME's multiplayer, but I don't think there are any footsteps outside of your own.

iSkullz, I dunno. I like it moderately loud-ish. Hell, right now, I'm playing ME3 with the Q701, Mixamp alone. I have the Mixamp fully maxed out in volume with the game/voice fully on game. It really depends on the game. Some games, I only need it at about 70%. I guess ME3 is just not that loud (playing on PS3).

As for when i DO use the E9, I tend to put it on High Gain (up position), because low gain has the E9's volume knob very heavily on the right side. The E9's optimal position is between 9-12, which is usually done with high gain. I fully max (or near max the Mixamp), and control the volume with the E9. I haven't had to do it lately, since I don't have a mic atm.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #4,689 of 48,566
MLE: The multiplayer is extremely fun, BTW. It ties into the single player pretty well too.

You are right though- ME3 is an awesome game for DH.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #4,690 of 48,566
Got the DT990 pro today...

First impression: this package feels light, I hope they didn't send me the wrong thing. Grab a knife to carefully open the box and beneath the protective cushion lies the white box.

I get it out of the box and bloody hell is this thing light and the velor or velvet ear pads? Boy does this thing feel smooth. Whatever material was used feels good.

I quickly plug it to my E9 and play some quick tunes, not too bad, now off to play MW3 and see how these bad boys hold up. After getting into a game I was able to tell where enemies were coming from with ease and tubing from.

Directional cues are great with these headphones.

Back to pwning...

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, big thanks to MLE and everyone.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #4,691 of 48,566

Quote:
Yes, the more I read about the 598s the more I realised they wouldn't have as much bass as I wanted. I'm now thinking of the AHD2000, HD600s, or maybe the DT880/DT990s. Decisions, decisions!! I may go for the D2000s as they sound a bit easier to drive straight from a mixamp. Unless I get an E9 for the other phones. Hmmm.

I have the DT 990 pro and run them with a Fiio E6. Works just great for me! 
Bass is not a problem for sound whoring at all (MW3) and it makes movies even more cinematic. I really can´t comment on the D2000s (maybe they are the better choice for you) but I wouldn´t shy away from the 990 pro just because of the bass or because they are harder to drive. Fiio E6 will do the job.

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #4,692 of 48,566

Quote:
I have the DT 990 pro and run them with a Fiio E6. Works just great for me! 
Bass is not a problem for sound whoring at all (MW3) and it makes movies even more cinematic. I really can´t comment on the D2000s (maybe they are the better choice for you) but I wouldn´t shy away from the 990 pro just because of the bass or because they are harder to drive. Fiio E6 will do the job.

Thanks l00l, that's something to think about if they're that easy to drive. I'm a noob to all of this so every bit of new info changes my mind completely :)

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #4,693 of 48,566
PLEASE HELP!  I have been reviewing headphones for the last 2 months and I can not decide what to buy!  I live somewhere where trying these high end headphones is out of the questions.  I have read over almost all the threads here and I figured I'd ask some questions.  I read over nameless's post about pc audio and also I have read mad lust's gaming headphone post. (both are must reads by the way)

I know most of the questions have been asked before, but here we go...

I want to buy these headphones primarily for gaming (battlefiled 3, tom clancy games, and other shooters).
I also will occasionaly watch movies with them, when the wife is trying to sleep!

I have narrowed it down to a couple headphones.  The AD700 and the q701, but I am torn.  Are the q's that much better to be almost 3x the price? 

What do  I need to drive these headphones?  I have a x58 motherboard setup with sli graphics cards.  All i have is the onboard realtek 7.1 audio.  I know the Q's need amp/dac and the AD700 benefit from one, but what do i buy?  Do I buy a internal card like asus or get a fiio e7 or higher?  I almost purchased the ad700 with asus xonar dg but I do not want the xonar dg because its pci only and all the new motherboards are dropping pci.  I know there is the asus stx but 200 for a card and 300ish for headphones?  steep for gaming, huh?

Please help!  I am also open to any other suggestions!

Thanks guys and gals!

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #4,694 of 48,566

Quote:
PLEASE HELP!  I have been reviewing headphones for the last 2 months and I can not decide what to buy!  I live somewhere where trying these high end headphones is out of the questions.  I have read over almost all the threads here and I figured I'd ask some questions.  I read over nameless's post about PC audio and also I have read mad lust's gaming headphone post. (both are must reads by the way)
I know most of the questions have been asked before, but here we go...
I want to buy these headphones primarily for gaming (Battlefiled 3, Tom Clancy games, and other shooters).
I also will occasionaly watch movies with them, when the wife is trying to sleep!
I have narrowed it down to a couple headphones.  The AD700 and the q701, but I am torn.  Are the q's that much better to be almost 3x the price? 
What do  I need to drive these headphones?  I have a x58 motherboard setup with sli graphics cards.  All i have is the onboard realtek 7.1 audio.  I know the Q's need amp/dac and the AD700 benefit from one, but what do i buy?  Do I buy a internal card like Asus or get a Fiio e7 or higher?  I almost purchased the ad700 with Asus Xonar DG but I do not want the Xonar DG because its PCI only and all the new motherboards are dropping PCI.  I know there is the Asus STX but 200 for a card and 300ish for headphones?  steep for gaming, huh?

Motherboards are still coming with PCI slots. By the time they stop putting PCI slots on motherboards,
you would have replaced any sound card you bought today for something newer.

Sennheiser HD558 (more bass then the ATH-AD700s)
Asus Xonar DG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back