Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 17, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #4,111 of 48,583
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound
Ask here, Nameless knows all about PC gaming with virtual surround. I know nothing. Personally I'd go with probably the Asus Essence STX or Xonar DG... whatever had DH.

I think the Xonar does DH, the X-Fi cards do CMSS. Depends on what games you're playing really, I personally use my 770s with a X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro I picked up on sale a while back to good effect. As an added plus of the high end X-Fis I also came up with a trick to use the X-Fi DSP with an E17 DAC over USB. Now if only I could find an E17 in stock somewhere and buy one...

If you're on a laptop, maybe you could find an ExpressCard soundcard that does optical out? Just a thought...

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #4,112 of 48,583

Have you A/B'd the E7 DAC with the DAC in the NFB-5?

Quote:
That's something I wish I had the answer to, because I've been eyeing the DT880 Pro for awhile. The DT880 is more to my liking for music than the Q701, but the reverse is true for gaming. Still, I feel that they are close in quality for music, but the Q701 definitely wins for gaming. In any case, the Beyers don't have the deepest cups, so your ears will touch the padding in front of the drivers. I don't find that uncomfortable one bit, whereas the AD700s relatively naked drivers shocked me once in a while. Going from the AD700 to the Q701 would be a very clear upgrade, as I feel it is the truest upgrade to the AD700.
In other news:
So I've been A/B-ing the NFB5 with the E9 (both running off the NFB5's DAC obviously), and it's literally too close too call for the D7000. I'm damn certain that at the same decibel level, I would fail blind A/B tests everytime. So even though the E9 has a high output impedance, which isn't ideal for the Denons, i honestly can't hear anything impacting performance. It's just good music with either amp.
The Q701 sounds just slightly more fluid off the NFB5, where it sounds a little dryer off the E9, but the difference is small.
Again, the output impedance of the E9 should be negative affecting both headphones in comparison to the low impedance of the NFB5, yet it sounds too close too call.
I'm not one of those to fall for new toy syndrome. If I hear CLEAR differences, I'd say it. I'm not. They are both great sounding amps.
If anything is different is that the drier tone of the E9 makes it more analytical, where the NFB5 is more musical, just slightly so.
So all in all, I'd say the NFB5 is for those that want clearly more power than the E9 for some hard to drive cans, but that the differences aren't gonna be jarring for headphones that they both can handle well.
Of course, people here on Head-fi always go for the more expensive stuff and always say it's better than their older equipment, but I wouldn't BS you guys with that hyperbole. If you have an E9, be happy. It sounds great. As far as SS amps go, I doubt you'll find something to REALLY blow it away in comparison in the logically affordable price range. I'd just look for something with a clear coloring of sound if you want different, like a tube amp.
edit: I might have to rethink what I said about the Q701s.... they might actually be better for me now over both the DT880s AND 990s. Just something about them that is just damn awesome.
There is no glaring flaw with them. Seriously, they're just good. Where the DT990s get a bit screechy in the treble, the Q701 just sings happily. The bass AND mids are pretty damn good, as well. The only drawback being sub bass isn't as emphasized as what I'm used to, yet it's not something that can offend the ears like the DT990's treble. The Q701 sounds so rich, and musical. Just not what I expected. AT ALL.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #4,114 of 48,583
Have you A/B'd the E7 DAC with the DAC in the NFB-5?

I haven't A/B'd them because my E7's dock input is broken so I can't dock it or use the L7 for line out. I'd only be able to test the DACs like:

NFB5 DAC + E7 Amp (through the line in on the E7)

vs

E7 DAC + E7 Amp

I'll try to do this soon enough. The E7's internal amp isn't much of an amp at all, so it won't be the best method of testing the strength of the DACs.

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #4,115 of 48,583

Quote:
DON'T get the Zalman. Save your money, and get the Dealextreme clip-on...
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-clip-on-microphone-7080
Look how much it costs. I owned it (awaiting a second one), and it actually worked, whereas the Zalman I had picked up everything BUT my voice, and costs ten times as much.

Will this mic pickup my voice if I have it clipped to my shirt.  The Zalman failed at this and even the xbox360 mic has to be pretty much on my lips to be heard.  If I could have a mic like the one you recommended above, I'll order it.  I use Denon's but the headset around the neck is getting annoying when the mic slips and I have to constantly adjust.

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #4,116 of 48,583

Quote:
What I mean is the sound card won't improve or affect the positional accuracy or depth of the sounds, only improve quality, etc?

What I meant by that was that with CMSS-3D Headphone performing on Dolby Headphone's level because it's only getting pre-mixed 7.1 to begin with, I honestly can't tell enough of a difference between either to recommend one over the other, and since the reverb/chorus/occlusion/etc. effects that were generally done with hardware-accelerated EAX in the past are now done in software, Creative loses a lot of their gaming advantages. Thus, you could still get a Xonar DG at $30 (possibly even less) and still be very well off.

However, you still get a positional advantage with CMSS-3D Headphone and/or Dolby Headphone in those games over plain stereo, because now you can tell apart front and rear. Very useful if you want to know if someone's about to jam a knife in your back.

Now, as for the older Battlefield games (1942 through 2142), it's not even close, since CMSS-3D Headphone gives a full binaural 3D presentation with the positional information the DirectSound3D and OpenAL APIs provide, while Dolby Headphone still only uses virtual 7.1 and loses a good sense of height, and they also make liberal use of hardware-accelerated EAX and whatnot.

Quote:
Ok, thanks. Those two soundcards are internal, I would need an external soundcard because I'm using a laptop.

External sound card? This just got really tricky. You're probably not going to get anything with a proper hardware DSP on it, with all effects generated in software.

On the cheap side, there's the Xonar U3 at $40. On the more expensive side...the Recon3D USB seems somewhat promising, but $130 is quite a tall price, and I'm not even sure if it's that much better than the USB and ExpressCard X-Fi products for gaming (which are all XtremeAudio-esque "fakes" as far as I'm concerned).

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #4,118 of 48,583
Got my pair of q701 and am liking them so far. Just need to update my music from all 128 mp3s.

Has anyone an idea what is going on with astro? I have been wanting to order a 5.8 mixamp so I can get some more use out of my new toys. The problem is they have been out ove stock for a month now. They brining out a new model and clearing the old inventory.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #4,119 of 48,583
New model? First I've heard of it. Don't see any mention of a new model.

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #4,120 of 48,583
Not trying to start a rumor, just trying to figure out what is going on with them. Bought some gift cards/coupons from them before christmass. Been waiting so long I am considering getting a.creative recon 3d but dont want to waste the money I already spent.

What will an amp actually do for the sound of the q701?

I am trying to figure these things out. I know they are not bassy headphones but there doesnt seem to be much of any. I am thinking its because its my first real open headphone. So maybe I am just used to the sound pushed into my head rather than being around it.

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #4,122 of 48,583
Chicolom, and those who got Q701s, check to see what your serial numbers are (it's on the headphone itself) Mine is 07260. I would guess that anything above Chicolom's will have the difference in sound between the K701 and Q701. Not stating this as fact, but I believe older Q701s probably were identical to the K701 in sound.

BTW, the Mass Effect 3 demo with the D7000.... SCHWEETNESS ALMIGHTY.

Also tried the Binary Domain demo. Game looks so ace.

Can't wait to hook up the Vita to the E9 for some epic portable gaming. XD

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #4,123 of 48,583

Quote:
Chicolom, and those who got Q701s, check to see what your serial numbers are (it's on the headphone itself) Mine is 07260. I would guess that anything above Chicolom's will have the difference in sound between the K701 and Q701. Not stating this as fact, but I believe older Q701s probably were identical to the K701 in sound.

Mine is 04165.  I have no idea if there's been a change in them though.  The different impressions for them already existed before I tried them, that's the reason I looked into them to begin with.

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #4,124 of 48,583
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't have EVER bought them without your impressions on them. You were 99.9% of the reason I went for them. Trust me when I tell you I can't thank you enough. I'm in complete love with them.

guys:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEs74y7hEFI[/VIDEO]

The song used on the Binary Domain trailer. Absolutely amazing.

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #4,125 of 48,583

Quote:
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't have EVER bought them without your impressions on them. You were 99.9% of the reason I went for them. Trust me when I tell you I can't thank you enough. I'm in complete love with them.

Haha, good to know - I'm glad those impressions helped sway you
biggrin.gif
  I really wanted to verify they were actually different.  I didn't want to go off recommending the Q701 to people who had already heard the K70x if it was just going to end up sounding exactly the same
tongue.gif

I love them too.  I sure hope AKG doesn't discontinue them or anything, in case I need to get another pair if I wear these ones out
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back