Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 19, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #4,141 of 48,562
Well I spent my hard earning cash on a lyr yesterday. I placed in my order so I will probally receive it this week sometime. What cables do I need for the mixamp>lyr or whats the best way to hook them up? thanks.

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #4,142 of 48,562
The Lyr will come with a 1/8" to dual RCA cable. Run the headphone out on the Mixamp to the Lyr with the supplied cable.

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #4,144 of 48,562
I didn't get any hum with the PC360. Adjusting the volume on the cup sometimes had static like noise, but that is common with certain volume knobs (the E9 is notorious for that).

As for the Lyr... not sure that's the most ideal amp to attach to the Mixamp, as it adds a considerable amount of hum with certain headphones, which in addition to the Mixamp's hiss may make it a bit noisy, though that would only be an issue with easier to drive headphones.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #4,145 of 48,562

Quote:
I can't believe how addicted to this thread I am!  As someone completely satisfied with my Denon D1100, but looking to get open cans in the near future, I'm researching the crap out of headphones.  I LOVE the sound Denon produces so I'm heavily considering the Denon D7000's because a lot of reviews say they do allow for a good mount of outside noise to come in and I need that for when I need to hear my wife calling me in another room.  Only issue I have is they don't look to have a 3.5mm input jack and I have a powerful enough decoder box where I don't want to get another amp just to be able to run these.

Other phones I'm considering are PC 360 and DT990's but I would really like to stick with Denon as I am just a huge fan of their sound as a whole.  I may wind up getting the PC 360's just for gaming with friends, but I really want the Denon D7000's!

You do realize they make 1/4th to 1/8th adapters? http://www.amazon.com/Generic-3-5mm-Adapter/dp/B003VGRDUK/ref=pd_sim_e_2 ... I think that's what your after.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #4,146 of 48,562
I have that same one. I'd advise you to attach that to a small 3.5mm extension cable, because that plug is bulky and can damage inputs. I use a small extension cable that came with my first Mixamp.

If you want the simplest route, the Grado adapter is a 6.3mm to 3.5mm cable but its pricey.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #4,147 of 48,562

Quote:
I have that same one. I'd advise to attach that to a small 3.5mm extension cable, because that plug is bulky and can damage inputs. I use a small extension cable that came with my first Mixamp.
If you want the simplest route, the Grado adapter is a 6.3mm to 3.5mm cable but its pricey.

I was complaining about it's price until I got it in the mail. That thing is high quality and could be run over by a tank. Probably will last me forever.
My amp only takes 3.5mm plug (due to it's size) and it's so annoying.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #4,148 of 48,562
Someone posted a good alternative but I forgot the link.

In any case, cheapest route is getting that gold adapter and a small 3.5mm female to male extension cable.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #4,149 of 48,562
Quote:
Someone posted a good alternative but I forgot the link.
In any case, cheapest route is getting that gold adapter and a small 3.5mm female to male extension cable.

I did.  Link.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #4,150 of 48,562
Bah, It'd still cost $10. I would rather spends the extra $5 for the Grado one. Lol, its funny how I get stingy for stuff costing a few bucks, but go all out for the expensive stuff. Priorities... lol.

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #4,151 of 48,562
I switched the control to the newer one and it went away. 

Quote:
I didn't get any hum with the PC360. Adjusting the volume on the cup sometimes had static like noise, but that is common with certain volume knobs (the E9 is notorious for that).
As for the Lyr... not sure that's the most ideal amp to attach to the Mixamp, as it adds a considerable amount of hum with certain headphones, which in addition to the Mixamp's hiss may make it a bit noisy, though that would only be an issue with easier to drive headphones.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #4,152 of 48,562
Mad Lust Envy, which do you think is better or prefer for FPS, i.e, MW3, the AKG K701 or Q701? Anyone else please chime in if you've used both these cans for FPS. If I bought one of them I would try it with the mixamp only to see how it drived them. Would using the mixamp only reduce the soundstage? What's the lowest price amp I could use that would work well with the AKGs and the mixamp? I've seen the FiiO E9 mentioned, but am curious what the sound properties would be.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #4,153 of 48,562

Quote:
Uhh, the back of motherboards tend to be for actual speakers, not headphones. I'm seriously surprised people are doing this.

1.  Everything else plugs into the back of my computer.  I don't like wires sticking out the front or sides of my computer.
2.  My computer is on the floor, therefore the input jack / cord could get caught on my chair or kicked.
3.  Every search I found said to use the back input due to interference issues.  I have yet to see anyone mention that the front is better, and have found little evidence that they are different. 
4.  My front audio port isn't working and I am too lazy to take apart my computer to fix it.  I guarantee you this is the main reason I don't use it, but having the cord right next to where my chair rolls is a compelling argument.

Still not a long term solution because the sound is worse, and occasionally I might want speakers hooked up.

Feb 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #4,154 of 48,562

Quote:
Mad Lust Envy, which do you think is better or prefer for FPS, i.e, MW3, the AKG K701 or Q701? Anyone else please chime in if you've used both these cans for FPS. If I bought one of them I would try it with the mixamp only to see how it drived them. Would using the mixamp only reduce the soundstage? What's the lowest price amp I could use that would work well with the AKGs and the mixamp? I've seen the FiiO E9 mentioned, but am curious what the sound properties would be.

I prefer the Q701's sound, but the K701 signature is better for FPS.  I'm not sure either are better or worth the price over HD598 or AD700 for strictly FPS....

Maybe the O2 amp, but portable amps usually don't sound as dynamic or large as desktop amps..  The E9 is cheap and will boost the volume, but not the soundstage.  Not sure what can do that under $200...

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #4,155 of 48,562

Quote:
I prefer the Q701's sound, but the K701 signature is better for FPS.  I'm not sure either are better or worth the price over HD598 or AD700 for strictly FPS....

Maybe the O2 amp, but portable amps usually don't sound as dynamic or large as desktop amps..  The E9 is cheap and will boost the volume, but not the soundstage.  Not sure what can do that under $200...

Hated the K702 for FPS games, but that's just me since many love it. I always used the K601 over the K702 for gaming.

For competitive gaming I'd probably take the KRK KNS-8400 over the Q701. Probably would give some an unfair advantage
normal_smile%20.gif

I've been using the Q701 for gaming since I got it over anything else (100+ hours in Skyrim), but I might switch to the 8400 now that I tried it with Fallout 3. Couldn't believe how much better it sounded in one of the vaults I was in. There's some low bass that's barely even detected on the Q701. Made me sad! All this time I never really knew of the sounds a Mirelurk makes when they're not trying to kill you. Even makes my HD-598 and HD-580 look bad for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back