Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 27, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #3,571 of 48,562
Man, I really want the Headzone, but that high output impedance is just crazy. I'd have to keep my DT990s then. Dunno how the D7000 would sound off it, though someone who sold it here months ago loved using the D7000 and LCD2 with it, which are both low ohm cans.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #3,572 of 48,562
Dobly Headphone needs to come out with Dobly Headphone 2.0 with customizable HRTFs.  I wonder what they're working on now.  I hope they're looking into customizable HRTFs - maybe they could include a bunch of presets or something.

Quote:
Man, I really want the Headzone, but that high output impedance is just crazy. I'd have to keep my DT990s then. Dunno how the D7000 would sound off it, though someone who sold it here months ago loved using the D7000 and LCD2 with it, which are both low ohm cans.

Do you know how much he sold that headzone for?  Seems like you'd have to take a big loss when selling it.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #3,573 of 48,562
Quote:
Fully built Objective O2, which is said to rival the B22... hmm... for the price, looks like this is what I want. The only thing that irks me is that it uses 3.5mm headphone jack.

I really like my O2.  Haven't tried any Denons with it yet.  Lord Voldermort has a pair of D2000s and can't tell it from his Benchmark DAC1's amp.

Also if you don't have a good 1/4 to 1/8 adapter Senn's is way cheaper than Grado's.  This kind murders 3.5 jacks.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #3,574 of 48,562
Quote:

Beyer is silly.  I never bothered to do the math and check it but I read that they did that so the 32s and 250s would end up at about the same volume.

If its DSP is better than the mixamp's but it messes up the D7000's bass you could just run it into another amp like the O2 to lower the output impedance.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #3,575 of 48,562

Quote:
Ya, I don't think the DT990 600 bass is overwhelming.  It's tight and doesn't intrude over the other frequencies.  That was one of the things that worried me before I tried it.  The treble is an issue though for me.

thanks for everyone's replies.  i've tried a friend's DT990 600ohms before and the treble was a bit much for me.  the bass was great though.

as it turns out, i've sold a couple things of mine earlier today and i'm considering purchasing something from audeze :)  now i'm off to do more reading through the full size amp/dac forum.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #3,576 of 48,562
Lol, that's the adapter I use (the bad one), though I hook it up to a 3.5mm female to 3.5mm cable I got with my old Mixamp. I knew right when I got that adapter that it wouldn't be a good idea to use it directly.

So you mean using the Headzone as a pre-amp to another amp? Kinda like most of us have been doing with the Mixamp's headphone jack into another amp's line in? Not sure how the science works, but would another amp's input have a high enough impedance to take in that signal properly?

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #3,577 of 48,562
Quote:
So you mean using the Headzone as a pre-amp to another amp? Kinda like most of us have been doing with the Mixamp's headphone jack into another amp's line in? Not sure how the science works, but would another amp's input have a high enough impedance to take in that signal properly?

Yeah.  It will work fine.

The high output impedance causes a low damping factor which can effect the quality of the bass.  Another amp doesn't have moving parts that "fight" the signal so damping factor doesn't even exist.  The source's output impedance can still be too high for other reasons but in domestic applications it would probably have to reach a few kilo-ohms before you noticed anything.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #3,578 of 48,562
Alright, if anything, I'll attach the E9 to see what it does to it. Maybe even the E7, as it has a very low output impedance.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #3,579 of 48,562

Quote:
No, I mean the test where you have to tweak the left channel. The placement was nowhere near optimal position, and regardless how many times I tried to adjust it, it wouldn't...

The first half of the tests are for the left channel, but to be honest I don't think you'd have that much use for it.  Their site acts like it's going to be on consoles, but I don't see it happening.  

Quote:
So it sucks then?

I have good DSPs that do that kind of thing but I can't implement them system wide.  I never listen to music by via headphones without at least a basic analog crossfeed circuit.  My DAP always feeds a portable DAC/amp amp with a crossfeed circuit and I use the use it as a source at home if I'm listening to streaming music like Pandora or music videos on YouTube.  Local music is played through foobar with the TB Isone room/speaker/HRTF simulator and movies and anime use a multichannel to binaural DSP built into ffdshow which is amazingly good considering there are no options to tweak.

I'll still have to try it myself but I was hoping it would be good enough to use system wide and replace everything but Isone.

I wouldn't listen to music with it, let's put it that way.  

And it seems as though 40ms (the default) is as short as I can set the audio buffer without getting crackles.  For an effect that touts itself as being for gaming that's a pretty long buffer.  

Still a rather interesting experiment, it gave me more convincing rear placement than most other HRTFs I've tried.  Well, Rapture 3D with its selection of HRTF's might be able to match it but it isn't a convenient thing to use with any games not designed for it.  I find myself wishing there was a more flexible solution, if I could put on my robe and wizard hat I'd magic Rapture 3D into my X-Fi so it works with most things, or just do something to make them play nice with each other.  It's surprising how hard it is to get a software thing like this working with other things, you'd think it could work with most any OpenAL game with no real problem. 

It'd be nice if someone would record the output of the headzone so you could see how well its HRTF profile matches your head.  

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #3,580 of 48,562
Quote:
Chicolom, seriously? I dunno what its capable of, though it has a 100ohm output impedance which SHOULD in head-fi terms be awful for low ohm cans,which makes no sense as the MMX300 it typically comes bundled with, is 32 ohm.

It normally comes with the DT880-250, which works reasonably well with the 100Ω output impedance. The maximum power output into 250Ω is 100 mW, the same as the rated maximum power handling of the bundled DT880.

Quote:

Planar magnetics like the LCD-2 are much less sensitive to the output impedance than dynamic headphones.

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #3,581 of 48,562
Quote:
And it seems as though 40ms (the default) is as short as I can set the audio buffer without getting crackles.  For an effect that touts itself as being for gaming that's a pretty long buffer.  

Wow.  That's pretty bad...

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #3,582 of 48,562
edit: Got my Fiio D3... a better DAC than the E7 for $30, lolwhut. The harshness on the DT990 is noticeably toned down with the D3. Awkward, as the E7 is warmer... What.

Not that it matters, as the D3 wasn't going to be used with the E9 anyways. I bought it because I need cable clutter management for my soundbar. Now all I need is one cable from the TV to the D3, and then to the soundbar, as opposed to 5 different RCA cables being swapped out on my 2 input soundbar. Thank god.

If I wasn't going to upgrade my DAC soon, I'd buy another D3 just because it IS better than the E7, though it takes optical and coaxial... the USB is just for power.

Also, finally got the PS3 chat cable (Astro forgot to ship it with the battery pack). Now I can talk crap on PS3! :D

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #3,584 of 48,562
No, they are still bad ass for gaming. More than any 'fun' gaming can I've tried, which works extremely well for competitive too, though the bass presence will distract you just because it's so damn good, you can't NOT pay attention to it. The reason I prefer bass light cans for competitive gaming is because the bass won't distract you.

If you want bass that isn't going to trample the rest of the frequencies, the D7000, HE-4 and DT990/600 are the only three I've used that do that so well. The D7000 is optimal because it's easy to drive, whereas the other two need some good power behind them (the DT990/600 can be run off just the Mixamp, but SQ is poor. The HE-4 absolutely requires massive power)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back