Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 26, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #3,556 of 48,566

Quote:
edit: Guys, looks like I'm shifting priorities. I'm returning the DT990/600, and cancelling the Audio-GD stuff. I will be keeping my D7000.

LOL, your still in the amazon return window?!  That's funny. 

Money issues?

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #3,557 of 48,566
Yeah, the holidays extended the return window to January 31st. I'll send the DT990 out tomorrow.

What I'm gonna do is probably settle for the Matrix M Stage and a decent DAC like the E17. I realize I don't listen THAT much to my headphones on my computer desk, to warrant spending over $1000 on equipment.

I will most likely deal with the E7/E9 for now, replace the DAC soon-ish, and MAYBE get the Headzone, as the Mixamp+Headphones IS something I use frequently.

This leaves me with a space open for an open headphone, and I rather deal with something a bit easier to drive. This way I can pick up a cheaper amp to drive both the D7000 and open cans that don't need THAT much power. Might consider the Q701. I realize the DT990 is competing too much with the D7000, so something else would be better.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #3,558 of 48,566

Quote:
What I'm gonna do is probably settle for the Matrix M Stage and a decent DAC like the E17. I realize I don't listen THAT much to my headphones on my computer desk, to warrant spending over $1000 on equipment.

I will most likely deal with the E7/E9 for now, replace the DAC soon-ish, and MAYBE get the Headzone, as the Mixamp+Headphones IS something I use frequently.

This leaves me with a space open for an open headphone, and I rather deal with something a bit easier to drive. This way I can pick up a cheaper amp to drive both the D7000 and open cans that don't need THAT much power. Might consider the Q701. I realize the DT990 is competing too much with the D7000, so something else would be better.

That sounds like a good plan.  I didn't think the D7000 needed that much DAC/amp anyways. 

I might suggest selling the PC360s too for some extra cash, maybe look into the antlion modmic instead if you still need to chat. 

Maybe you should start saving up for some T1s, HD700/800, etc
wink.gif

I wonder which would bring more improvement, flagship headphones, or the headzone plus mid-fi phones...

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #3,559 of 48,566
I would love the T1, but they are as hard to drive as the DT990s, so it's moot. I don't wanna deal with something too hard to drive anymore. Seriously, I should build my rig around the D7000 which is stupid easy to drive. I would benefit more from a good DAC than a beefy amp. A pair of headphones that can be driven well off the Headzone and/or Mixamp. :wink:

I'd have to sell the PC360 at a loss, due to the torn headband padding.... Maybe could get $110 for them here. I would sell them though.

The headzone would undoubtedly impress me more for gaming/movies, as it'd get more use as I'm in my room more than I'm on my computer desk listening to music.

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

Fully built Objective O2, which is said to rival the B22... hmm... for the price, looks like this is what I want. The only thing that irks me is that it uses 3.5mm headphone jack.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #3,560 of 48,566
Thanks for the info MLE! Now to find a decent price on the Q701 in Canada
Quote:
You absolutely cannot use a DAC with the Mixamp. With the E17, all you will be using is the internal amp. Also, always use the Mixamp as the first part of the audio chain connected directly to the source so Dolby Headphone can be processed.
edit: Guys, looks like I'm shifting priorities. I'm returning the DT990/600, and cancelling the Audio-GD stuff. I will be keeping my D7000.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #3,561 of 48,566

Quote:
The headzone would undoubtedly impress me more for gaming/movies, as it'd get more use as I'm in my room more than I'm on my computer desk listening to music.

Hmm.. actually the headzone should have a beefy amp in it.  I wonder if it has analog inputs for a DAC.  If you didn't mind unplugging it, you could just use that as a music amp.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #3,562 of 48,566
I'm going to try this to night but the funny thing is I did not have that problem with the Sony PS3 Wireless headset. Voice was extremely clear, with no muffle. I could make out nearly everything people said with the volume set 50/50 (voice/game) and about 70% overall volume turned up. Anyways, I'll try tweaking the settings tonight on the mixamp to find a sweet spot. I just find it counterproductive to spend this amount of money for SQ and then only ave 30% game volume. That would make it very difficult to hear footsteps or other alarming sounds.

Quote:
The problem with voice mixing is that if you set game and voice audio to 50/50, they struggle to get your attention at the same time. For the purpose of chatting, it's just logical to tone down game audio so you can hear your friends. Like the Mixamp, I set it to like 70% voice/30% game audio.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #3,563 of 48,566
Chicolom, seriously? I dunno what its capable of, though it has a 100ohm output impedance which SHOULD in head-fi terms be awful for low ohm cans,which makes no sense as the MMX300 it typically comes bundled with, is 32 ohm. That is, unless I'm missing something.

You think the Headzone uses the same amp as the Beyer A1? That would be sweet. :D

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #3,564 of 48,566

Quote:
I'm assuming that's PC only, rendering it useless for me, personally.

They claim it's coming to consoles but needless to say I'm skeptical.  

Quote:
I hope its some kind of virtual sound driver so I can use it with everything on my PC like my video player, youtube, etc...

The audio certainly sounds processed so I wouldn't use it for that sort of thing.  

Quote:
I was on the first test for like 15 minutes before skipping it. The positioning doesn't feel right no matter what I did.

By first test, you mean the one where you drag the sounds to where they sound like they're coming from?  That's just a rough step, you fine tune it in a lot of other steps.  

I've still no idea if it supports true binaural or not but so far I find it to be very good at directional cues BUT I've had some crackling in some games and I don't know why.  

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #3,565 of 48,566

Quote:
Chicolom, seriously? I dunno what its capable of, though it has a 100ohm output impedance which SHOULD in head-fi terms be awful for low ohm cans,which makes no sense as the MMX300 it typically comes bundled with, is 32 ohm. That is, unless I'm missing something.
You think the Headzone uses the same amp as the Beyer A1? That would be sweet.
biggrin.gif

What, 100 ohm output impedance!?  LOL

I hadn't really looked at the specs, I just remember seeing a review that said it was a respectable amp by itself.  I dunno...

Looks like it has optical and coax inputs so I guess if your dac had coax out it would be fine.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #3,566 of 48,566
Quote:
You think the Headzone uses the same amp as the Beyer A1? That would be sweet.
biggrin.gif

It claims to support up to 600 ohms, which would make sense considering their own lineup of headphones. If that's true, that would be what makes it greatly superior to the Mixamp, though maybe not a complete justification of the price difference.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #3,567 of 48,566
No, I mean the test where you have to tweak the left channel. The placement was nowhere near optimal position, and regardless how many times I tried to adjust it, it wouldn't...

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #3,568 of 48,566

get the O2 and let us know how it works :)

I need something portable for my ed8 and lcd2 :)
Quote:
http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full
Fully built Objective O2, which is said to rival the B22... hmm... for the price, looks like this is what I want. The only thing that irks me is that it uses 3.5mm headphone jack.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #3,569 of 48,566
Got my Mixamp and HD650. I have to crank the Mixamp to almost max volume to get loud enough in BF3, but I think that's because the 650's need a little more juice than normal cans. So far it's not bad... the sound positioning does help a little.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #3,570 of 48,566
Quote:
The audio certainly sounds processed so I wouldn't use it for that sort of thing.  

So it sucks then?

I have good DSPs that do that kind of thing but I can't implement them system wide.  I never listen to music by via headphones without at least a basic analog crossfeed circuit.  My DAP always feeds a portable DAC/amp amp with a crossfeed circuit and I use the use it as a source at home if I'm listening to streaming music like Pandora or music videos on YouTube.  Local music is played through foobar with the TB Isone room/speaker/HRTF simulator and movies and anime use a multichannel to binaural DSP built into ffdshow which is amazingly good considering there are no options to tweak.

I'll still have to try it myself but I was hoping it would be good enough to use system wide and replace everything but Isone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back