Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #3,121 of 48,565
I've asked a few questions directed at you but I never got a reply 
redface.gif
. I asked whether you used sitrep pro in mw2, and if you had played MW3 and how it sounded to you.

My last question was a general one. I'm sure at least a few people have bought one of the headphones you listed to use with dolby following your advice so was just wondering how they got on and If anybody else has tried anything different (in particular the 558's). The DT770's bass is slightly concerning otherwise I would've snapped it up. My x41's have a bass boost button but I tried it yesterday and it completely overpowers the other sounds like footsteps. If the 770's are on the same level it'll be unusable but I'm researching whether I can tone it somehow (a DAC with eq settings?)

Sorry, I get lost with the flood of messages I get, I can't always keep up.

When I played MW2, I was always a Scavenger Pro/Cold-Blooded pro, Sleight of Hand Pro, Ninja Pro type of guy. I did get Sitrep pro eventually, but the benefits of Ninja Pro far outweighted being able to hear others louder. I was already able to hear pretty much everyone without Sitrep Pro. MW2's footsteps and directional audio made the game a breeze in terms of soundwhoring.

I didn't play MW3 much (hate it).

Though I'm still playing Black Ops. Ninja Pro has the make footsteps louder like MW2's Sitrep Pro. It's still like god mode for me. I'm currently sitting on over 3.00 k/d overall, and 4.00 k/d just this month. Definitely gotta say that soundwhoring makes my skills as good as they are.

I certainly wouldn't use the DT770 Pro 80 for CoD. The bass is awesome, but just not good for that game. The DT990 Pro 250 is a better option in terms of having lots of bass and clarity without the need of TOO much amping, and it's really as good as the DT770 pro 80 in terms of synergy with Dolby Headphone.

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #3,122 of 48,565
No problems, I do realise it's quite a long thread (200pages!) and your not going to read every post.
Have you had a chance to try the DT990 pro's? Your original post only mentioned the premiums.
I've read zombie_X's review on all the beyer's range which has really put me off Beyer's. I think I'll scratch them off of my list. I have no doubt any decent headphone will be better than my x41's, but I want to make the right purchase the first time :) Sennheiser it probably is.

On the topic of Cod, what didn't you like about MW3? It's practically the same as mw2, which I thought was great since I absolutely loved MW2 (although I hated it the first 3 months). The spawns can be frustrating (to the point where you want to throw the controller at the screen), but apart from that the game is pretty enjoyable. Modified killstreaks are a very nice addition. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #3,123 of 48,565
Yes, I had the DT990 Pro recently, in which I compared directly with the DT990/600.

They're real solid, but the mid bass was giving me headaches. It sounds very similar to the premiums, aside from the bass being a bit too strong for my personal taste.

I hate MW3 because the maps are a mess of clustered garbage. They are also too big for the type of gameplay CoD is good for. I miss the more intimate maps of the first MW. They think bigger is better, yet they fail to see that the smallest maps are ALWAYS the favorites by a mile. Rust in MW2, Nuketown in BLOPS, Dome in MW3. They aren't paying attention to what people are voting for. Big maps belong in other games like BF, not CoD.

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #3,124 of 48,565
I tend to lean towards the small-medium to medium sized maps such Vacant, Strike and Terminal, but there are different modes in cod and different styles of play have to be catered for, otherwise it would be completely run and gun with people spawning in your face, which is kinda overkill (although the spawning as I mentioned is ridiculous at the moment e.g some guy you just killed will be round the corner)

Can I ask why you sold your 598's? You said they were "phenomenal".

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #3,125 of 48,565
Sold it because the PC360 was more practical (included mic). This time around, I opted for the convenience over the sheer SQ, which the PC360 is no slouch in itself. For the purpose of gaming, I don't need higher SQ than the PC360, and since the HD598 doesn't have the sound signature I'd like for non-gaming purposes, it made more sense to just keep the PC360 over the HD598.

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #3,126 of 48,565

Quote:
Sold it because the PC360 was more practical (included mic). This time around, I opted for the convenience over the sheer SQ, which the PC360 is no slouch in itself. For the purpose of gaming, I don't need higher SQ than the PC360, and since the HD598 doesn't have the sound signature I'd like for non-gaming purposes, it made more sense to just keep the PC360 over the HD598.

I just checked your profile. A lot of your interests overlap with mine 
biggrin.gif

The headphones I'm looking for need to work well with gaming but also East Asian music (j-pop/rock, k-pop), plus I'd want to use them for internet streaming (e.g Naruto, bleach). Did you try the Senn's for anything like that? Sorry for all the Questions. Since I've never had access to high end audio I've never known the difference to standard speakers and am completely reliant on opinions on this forum. Hope you don't mind. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #3,127 of 48,565
The HD598 will be great for gaming, anime (rich midrange = great for vocals). I'm not a fan of neutral-ish headphones for music, but I'm sure you'll like them. They aren't terribly exciting, but they are very high quality.

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #3,128 of 48,565

Quote:
The HD598 will be great for gaming, anime (rich midrange = great for vocals). I'm not a fan of neutral-ish headphones for music, but I'm sure you'll like them. They aren't terribly exciting, but they are very high quality.

What about the DT990's? Do you use them for J-pop? Do they bring it to life? It's not just clear vocals I'm after. It's also good driving of the background music during fight scenes that can either give you goosebumps with a good set of cans, or spoil the whole climax. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #3,129 of 48,565
Well, I don't listen to J-pop like I used to. The DT990 is my all purpose can, so I personally love them for anything I throw at them. They won't beat the HD598 for vocals, but if you're like me that wants to FEEL the music that makes you wanna get up and dance, instead of sitting there listening to the vocals, then the DT990 would be great for you (Longest. Sentence. EVAR..) I'm a bass and treble fan, as long as mids aren't lost. Contrary to the hyperbole spewed about the midrange on the DT990s, they are very detailed, just not the star of the show.

I really, REALLY want the Denon D7000 again though. THOSE are my music cans of choice. God, I miss them.

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #3,131 of 48,565
Someone needs to come up with a mod that makes those things isolate like champs. I would definitely consider a modded pair if I could use them in a library without worries. Would likely change the sound signature, though. Speaking of which, anyone here try an open mod for those things? Might as well, right?

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #3,132 of 48,565
I'm afraid to mod my headphones, except for an old HD555 which I bought used.

I've seen people categorize the D7000 as semi open. I think if you close it further (from the pads?). It would sound like a congested studio monitor, it needs that sound leakage for it to sound "good".

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #3,133 of 48,565
They don't isolate well, but I don't think sound leak is anything close to 'semi-open'. They're just bad at keeping sounds out, like open headphones.

I wouldn't mod the D7000. I love their sound in stock form. I wouldn't change anything about them other than personal comfort issues with pleather/leather, and their incredibly loose fit.

The D7000 is good enough to be the only headphone outside of a headset I'd have. The only thing I'd want from a headphone sound-wise is for an open headphone that sounds exactly like the D7000... a man can dream.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #3,134 of 48,565
Quote:
Someone needs to come up with a mod that makes those things isolate like champs. I would definitely consider a modded pair if I could use them in a library without worries. Would likely change the sound signature, though. Speaking of which, anyone here try an open mod for those things? Might as well, right?

The Denon Dx000s are vented between the baffle and the cup and I think that's where most of the leakage comes from.  If you sealed the vent it would probably kill all the bass.  You'd also need to damp the cups and use some different pads as well if you wanted decent isolation.

Someone tried an open mod on the D2000 on here.  You could search for that.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #3,135 of 48,565
I didn't even know it's vented.

I assume it needs the vent for the drivers to move properly, right?

Mine leaks from the pads. I guess they're really semi-open, then. I do know that if I press the pads against my ears, the sounds get congested and you get more bass (reverb?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back