Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 24, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #2,881 of 48,578
Thanks a ton for the information. I will be driving these with the E11. I see you have the E6. Once I get my returns all straightened out I will likely scoop these up if you can really get them for 1k flat new. That is a great price. Do you mind if I PM you with some questions down the line should I run into any?

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #2,882 of 48,578

Quote:
Thanks a ton for the information. I will be driving these with the E11. I see you have the E6. Once I get my returns all straightened out I will likely scoop these up if you can really get them for 1k flat new. That is a great price. Do you mind if I PM you with some questions down the line should I run into any?

Yeah... E6 to drive Ed8 sounds crazy, but I really ran out of cash. I really love how Ed8 sounds with music and games.

Feel free to ask me anything as much as you want :)

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #2,883 of 48,578
Just wanted to throw out a thank you to MLE for this thread and the PC 360 recommendation.  I needed to get some gaming headphones for my girlfriend's son and this thread was a real help in the process.   He's had them for a while now and really seems to like them for gaming.  He says that he's able to pick up directional cues like never before.

I finally got my hands on them to do some music listening and I was pretty impressed.  A little thin for my own taste, but I liked the sound stage.  If I needed an all-rounder that included doing game duty but didn't want to give up good music SQ I wouldn't hesitate to grab these cans.  I happened to be testing out the ZO2 and the combination turned out to be a lot of fun.

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #2,885 of 48,578
Hey guys,

So, I've been researching over the past couple of weeks trying to decide on a new set of cans, but am having a hard time figuring out which I even want to try out. Basically, they will be used 50% of the time for competitive FPS gaming, 30% single player/movies, and 20% music (mostly hip-hop/rap/dubstep).

I've had AD-700's for ~6 months now, and while they are definitely nice on the competitive side of things, they obviously leave a lot to be desired when it comes to SP, movies, and my preferred music. I don't need or want overwhelming bass, just enough so it's "fun" when I'm not playing competitively, and isn't too much when I am.

As of right now, I've broken it down to the HD-598, AKG Q/K7xx, Beyer DT990 (600/250/pro), Beyer DT 880 (600, 250, pro), and the Brainwavz HM5's<<< closed, but I've read they have a pretty decent soundstage>>> but I'm open to suggestions.

I understand the AKG's and Beyer's are probably going to need more power than what the Mixamp brings, so would it be worth it to get those without an extra amp or even with a cheaper desktop one like the E9, over say the HD598's/HM5's? Or should I get something like the E9 even with the Senn's/Brainwavz, too (especially for listening to music)?

Willing to go up to $300~ or so, but would like to stay as close to 200 bucks as possible. Probably going to decide on two to order and try them out.

Great thread by the way, very informative for those new to this like myself.

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #2,886 of 48,578
Just got my Realiser and tried it out with two channels only on my SR009. Ridiculous. Simply ridiculous. I am not even sure whether I need my speakers any more. Tomorrow I will try it with my home theatre system and play some BF3.

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #2,887 of 48,578
The more I listen to the DT990/600, the more I remember why I loved them so much the first time I owned them. They're just stellar for me. I'm not gonna get rid of them this time. That means no HE4 to replace them. I'm happy with these as is. I do need a new amp, as my E9 seems to be clipping at times. Still waiting on the Lyr to come back up on Amazon.

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #2,888 of 48,578

Quote:
Hey guys,
So, I've been researching over the past couple of weeks trying to decide on a new set of cans, but am having a hard time figuring out which I even want to try out. Basically, they will be used 50% of the time for competitive FPS gaming, 30% single player/movies, and 20% music (mostly hip-hop/rap/dubstep).
I've had AD-700's for ~6 months now, and while they are definitely nice on the competitive side of things, they obviously leave a lot to be desired when it comes to SP, movies, and my preferred music. I don't need or want overwhelming bass, just enough so it's "fun" when I'm not playing competitively, and isn't too much when I am.
As of right now, I've broken it down to the HD-598, AKG Q/K7xx, Beyer DT990 (600/250/pro), Beyer DT 880 (600, 250, pro), and the Brainwavz HM5's<<< closed, but I've read they have a pretty decent soundstage>>> but I'm open to suggestions.
I understand the AKG's and Beyer's are probably going to need more power than what the Mixamp brings, so would it be worth it to get those without an extra amp or even with a cheaper desktop one like the E9, over say the HD598's/HM5's? Or should I get something like the E9 even with the Senn's/Brainwavz, too (especially for listening to music)?
Willing to go up to $300~ or so, but would like to stay as close to 200 bucks as possible. Probably going to decide on two to order and try them out.
Great thread by the way, very informative for those new to this like myself.

Sennheiser HD-558 (50-Ohm), like the ATH-AD700s, but with more bass.
Only $123 at Electronics Expo, need to use the coupon code "BOUNTII".

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #2,889 of 48,578
I looked at (and have heard) the 558's, but I'm not sure it's a big enough jump to buy a pair when I have the 700's . Lowest in the Senn line I probably want to go is the 598.

Any suggestions on a couple I should try from those listed (or others around that price range)?

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #2,890 of 48,578

Quote:
The more I listen to the DT990/600, the more I remember why I loved them so much the first time I owned them. They're just stellar for me. I'm not gonna get rid of them this time. That means no HE4 to replace them. I'm happy with these as is. I do need a new amp, as my E9 seems to be clipping at times. Still waiting on the Lyr to come back up on Amazon.

I've read through the entire thread but don't specifically remember you saying anything about how the 990/600's perform with the Mixamp>E9 (apologies if you have), but would it be worth picking those up to use with that combo until I can get something like the Lyr? Or is the bass "too" much for the competitive side of things, and should I just aim for the AKG/Senn's?

Dec 26, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #2,891 of 48,578

Quote:
I looked at (and have heard) the 558's, but I'm not sure it's a big enough jump to buy a pair when I have the 700's . Lowest in the Senn line I probably want to go is the 598.
Any suggestions on a couple I should try from those listed (or others around that price range)?

Finding cans that work well better then the AD700s, with the Mix-Amp and FPS gaming is to me a little difficult.
Most other headphones are going to come with more bass, which I guess is not desirable for FPS.
The Audio Technica ATH-AD900 would work well with the mix-amp, improve the sound of movies and music, almost equal in Soundstage to the AD700s.
Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 250-Ohm series sound best with good amping, not sure how well the mix-amp would power them.
Beyerdynamic DT880/990 32-Ohm series would be easy to power, but cost to much over other models.

What gaming machines to you plug the mix-amp into
PC, MAC, PS3, xBox, etc?

Dec 26, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #2,892 of 48,578

Quote:
Finding cans that work well better then the AD700s, with the Mix-Amp and FPS gaming is to me a little difficult.
Most other headphones are going to come with more bass, which I guess is not desirable for FPS.
The Audio Technica ATH-AD900 would work well with the mix-amp, improve the sound of movies and music, almost equal in Soundstage to the AD700s.
Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 250-Ohm series sound best with good amping, not sure how well the mix-amp would power them.
Beyerdynamic DT880/990 32-Ohm series would be easy to power, but cost to much over other models.

What gaming machines to you plug the mix-amp into
PC, MAC, PS3, xBox, etc?

Only use the mixamp with the consoles. I don't necessarily need phones that are "better" for FPS gaming, but better overall for all my needs. I actually want a bit more bass to enjoy the music/movies etc, just not so much that I can't get away with using them for FPS.

To be honest, I'd probably already have a pair of D7000 or Ultrasone Pro 2900's (have a buddy that has both) if I was buying some cans for strictly music, but with half of their use being on competitive gaming, it would probably be a bit of a waste.

I'm thinking about ordering the HD598's and the DT990's and trying them out. If the DT990's bass is just too much, then I'll just return/sell it. Not really sure which version of the 990's I should get though. I was leaning towards the pro's because of the price (166) until I saw where Mad Lust said the bass was a bit overwhelming, and the 600 ohm might be too much with the mixamp/E9 alone (249~ at amazon right now though, so they are tempting).

....but I also really want to try the Q701's, haha.

Dec 26, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #2,893 of 48,578
I'm betting that the Q701s will be darker and flatter than DT990s which will be more V-Shaped. 

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #2,894 of 48,578

Quote:
Only use the mixamp with the consoles. I don't necessarily need phones that are "better" for FPS gaming, but better overall for all my needs. I actually want a bit more bass to enjoy the music/movies etc, just not so much that I can't get away with using them for FPS.  
To be honest, I'd probably already have a pair of D7000 or Ultrasone Pro 2900's (have a buddy that has both) if I was buying some cans for strictly music, but with half of their use being on competitive gaming, it would probably be a bit of a waste.

I'm thinking about ordering the HD598's and the DT990's and trying them out. If the DT990's bass is just too much, then I'll just return/sell it. Not really sure which version of the 990's I should get though. I was leaning towards the pro's because of the price (166) until I saw where Mad Lust said the bass was a bit overwhelming, and the 600 ohm might be too much with the mixamp/E9 alone (249~ at amazon right now though, so they are tempting).

....but I also really want to try the Q701's, haha.

Lol dude, it's funny because I was in the exact same situation...unsure which one to get: Q701 or Beyer 990/600. In the end I went with the second option and I'm waiting for the FiiO E9 to arrive as well, but for now I'm listening to my new Beyer with an E7 and I might be biased, but they sound absolutely fantastic.

My first ever headphone was a SennHD555 and I have to say the Beyer totally destroys 'em in every way. There's just no contest. I'm no expert, but the sound of the 555 was just too muddy, while the Beyer sound more "vivid", more "alive". I'll let you know better once I get to properly drive 'em with the E9.

I'm probably going to get the Q701 someday to replace the 555 though. I really like those too and I've been told good things about 'em.

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #2,895 of 48,578
I've read through the entire thread but don't specifically remember you saying anything about how the 990/600's perform with the Mixamp>E9 (apologies if you have), but would it be worth picking those up to use with that combo until I can get something like the Lyr? Or is the bass "too" much for the competitive side of things, and should I just aim for the AKG/Senn's?

The good thing about the DT990/600 is that while the bass can be powerful, it has a quick decay, and so it doesn't bleed into the midrange like typical cans. I loved the DT990/600 enough last time to say I didn't need a competitive can any more.

As fun as they are, they are also quite revealing.

My situation is that while the E9 drives them to ear exploding levels, my E9 distorts during very heavy and intense sequences. I'm not sure if its because it can't handle the 600ohm, or if its something else. My E9 has been having issues anyways, so I will say its just faulty, and not because it can't power the 990s properly. I was planning on just getting another E9, but in the end, I just want a Lyr again.

edit: been using them for hours today, and I haven't had a single distortion. The E9 is behaving itself today. So weird. I guess I would be happy just replacing this somewhat finicky E9 with another... I am loving how the DT990/600 is sounding off it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back