Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 27, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #2,896 of 48,583
Looks like Astro now sells their A40 case separately:
http://www.astrogaming.com/a40-headset-case?utm_source=Astro+Gaming+Newsletter&utm_campaign=fddda521f5-Post_Holiday&utm_medium=email

I use one as a hardshell case for my PC360s, they seem to fit pretty well.

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #2,897 of 48,583
The first time I used it, the zipper flew off. XD

Literally, the whole thing... made the case useless.

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #2,898 of 48,583
I've ordered a pair of Dayton RS621's and an Emotiva a-100. My new current setup for gaming/movies/etc.:

All I really need at this point is a DAC (Bifrost maybe?) to stick between my computer and the audio switcher.

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #2,899 of 48,583
Great post! Looks like you guys have been in the game a long time, and really know your stuff. I've read your post about three times (I'm really analytical). Anyways, I'm in the market for a new gaming headset and luckily punched the right words in google to find your post. So from what I've collected, the astro mixamp (wired) seems to be the way to go. Easy. Now what I'm having trouble with is deciding between the AD700 and the AKG 701. I don't consider myself a gamer, I only play CoD. So, I'm looking for a kick ass headset to really wreck house. First headset was px21 (first and last). Now I want a headset to actually make dead silence useful and not just as a defense against sound whores. Do you really feel there's a huge difference between the two? I really just want to get the 700s because their price tag, but I don't know if that would be a waste or not. So are they still worth anything, or do the 701s just completely blow them out of the water? I'm looking for that headset that will have me turning on kids no problem. Thanks!

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #2,900 of 48,583

Quote:
Great post! Looks like you guys have been in the game a long time, and really know your stuff. I've read your post about three times (I'm really analytical). Anyways, I'm in the market for a new gaming headset and luckily punched the right words in google to find your post. So from what I've collected, the astro mixamp (wired) seems to be the way to go. Easy. Now what I'm having trouble with is deciding between the AD700 and the AKG 701. I don't consider myself a gamer, I only play CoD. So, I'm looking for a kick ass headset to really wreck house. First headset was px21 (first and last). Now I want a headset to actually make dead silence useful and not just as a defense against sound whores. Do you really feel there's a huge difference between the two? I really just want to get the 700s because their price tag, but I don't know if that would be a waste or not. So are they still worth anything, or do the 701s just completely blow them out of the water? I'm looking for that headset that will have me turning on kids no problem. Thanks!

They don't really sound anything alike IMO.  Besides having large soundstage, they're quite different.

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #2,901 of 48,583

Quote:

The ATH-AD700s are bass light, which is kind of downer for action movies and any music that bass is an important part.
The AD700s are good for T.V. and movies that are easy listening, were vocals are the most important,
as they do not blast loudly into your ears, so you can have them on for long periods of time.
I've never used the AKG 701, but I'm sure the over all sound is fuller then the ATH-AD700.
I would push for the Sennheiser HD-558s, like the ATH-AD700s, but with more bass.

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #2,902 of 48,583
Just my two cents.

Considering he only plays COD or FPS in general, then the AD700 would be the best for him. If he uses his new headphone for listening to music and movies as well, then I'd suggest the 701 instead...and finally if he has to go the Sennheiser way, then by all means he should get the 598. I have the 555 and they really make the difference in online gaming...excellent positioning and very light bass.

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #2,903 of 48,583
Hey guys i'm looking for some info on the Recon3d usb thing. I just ordered a pair of dt990/600's and a fiio e9 to replace my m50s' because of their lack of sound stage in games. I'll be sellling my m50's and i'm looking at the Recon3d because i need some type of surround sound encoding for games, but i also use my laptop a lot for music/movies and am lacking a USB DAC, which i wont be able to afford if i get an astro mixamp. Recon3d seems like the perfect solution, but i'm concerned about how the chat will sound through it. Most importantly, does it do a decent job mixing the chat even if the person on the other end has a cheap $5 mic? and what about my mic, will my teammates be able to hear me? Do you think its worth buying it for its USB DAC capabilities over the mixamp? And lastly does it have more cables to connect than the mixamp(wired)? Just looking for some 2nd opinions mostly, i'm leaning towards recon3d, but i don't wan't to end up not being able to hear my team and having no way to adjust the chat sound.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #2,904 of 48,583
@DeadlyAssmite: I just read up on the Recon3D (never heard of it before). Seems like it retails at US$130--which is the same price as a MixAmp. Any reason why you want to go for the new kid on the block instead of an established device?

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #2,905 of 48,583
Only reason really is because i could plug the usb port into my laptop to use it as a DAC when im not gaming on the xbox. There's no way to get sound through astros usb port right? From what i've read the sound quality seems to be at least on par if not better because of thx than the astros, but i cannot find much info on how well it mixes voices. Some reviews said they prefered the voice mixing system recon uses while others said they couldn't hear cheap mics through it(maybe they didn't adjust the settings on pc and save the profile?). Anyone who's tried both able to give a comparison? 

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #2,906 of 48,583
Well never mind guys, i found the recon3d on sale right now on Tigerdirect for $99 and free shipping so i jumped on it! I'll try to post back in a few days and give my thoughts on it for anyone who's interested or who lands here from google like i did.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #2,907 of 48,583
That'd be pretty interesting. Let us know how it'll work for you mate.

By the way, the new Ear Force DSS is out...seems like they just added a "Surround Angle" button with 6 different presets and an Equalizer button as well ("select between flat, bass boost, aggressive bass boost, treble boost, aggressive treble, boost, bass & treble boost, midrange boost and aggressive midrange boost.").

It's also 10$ less than the original. Neat!

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #2,908 of 48,583
Wow...that is a lot of info here! Too much for me to understand, being a noob @ audiophilia. However, this site and its forums was recommended as the best place to get advice for any and all of your audio needs, so please help a fellow out!

I require a set of headphones, mostly for music (my choices range from Sting & The Police, to Chemical Brothers & Infected Mushroom, to Metallica) and movies & TV series, with occasional chat (I have a separate mic for that). I am not a gamer. I am going to use them for about 6-8 hours daily, maybe more. My current headphones are the Jabra Halo which I found satisfactory for all my needs, but after 18 months of solid use, they won't charge anymore
frown.gif
(I blame the headband design for that). I am not necessarily looking for Bluetooth headsets, though, and my budget is around a 100$.

Please recommend
beyersmile.png

P.S.: I almost went for the Audio Technica AD700 until I read the reviews here and found that they are bass anemic. So, back to the square-one for me.

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #2,909 of 48,583
Off topic, but my brother just got his pair of white box (new version) M50s today. Going off memory, The bass isn't as strong as my older blue box M50s, but I'm talking about a very minor bass reduction. I would be very satisfied with the new M50s as my closed headphone. Sounds very well balanced, still bassy, but not boomy. Not that they do well for DH gaming though, just saying, they're great for music.

That'd be pretty interesting. Let us know how it'll work for you mate.

By the way, the new Ear Force DSS is out...seems like they just added a "Surround Angle" button with 6 different presets and an Equalizer button as well ("select between flat, bass boost, aggressive bass boost, treble boost, aggressive treble, boost, bass & treble boost, midrange boost and aggressive midrange boost.").

It's also 10$ less than the original. Neat!

I wonder if they also lowered the noise/hiss coming off the DSS. If it became as silent as the wired Mixamp, that would make it worthwhile getting if you were certain not to ever need chat capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back