Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 20, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #2,386 of 48,565

Quote:
I am now regretting buying the Mixamp 5.8 due to possibility of hissing. I imagine this will drive me up the wall more than anything else. I should have bought a wired amp, but I didn't know enough at the time to be wary of it. I need to take a break from reading all this stuff.

Take a deep breath 
wink.gif
.  Reading all of this stuff really can drive you crazy.  

Like chicolom said, I doubt you will notice any hissing with the Mixamp 5.8. I Love mine...no regrets at all.

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #2,387 of 48,565

Quote:

Thanks for the quick answer!
Let's start with the easier answer: I'm no audiophile, i have only owned several pairs of Apple's standard ear buds and an in-ear Sennheiser cx 200 (which I wouldn't mind if the cable wasn't SO microphonic). I am willing to enter this "world" partly out of curiosity, partly in order to enhance my playing and film experiences and partly because i really love music.
The harder answer: I have really been questioning myself in the last two months on whether I wanted portable headphones or not. The fact is I'm an engineering student and I have to sit on a train for 1 hour and a half five days a week just to follow my lessons. While I'm on the train I generally listen to music and watch tv series on my iphone and I do all this wearing (obviously) headphones. I also wear headphones in study rooms to isolate myself better from the rest of the class. So the answer is yes, I need a pair of portable headphones. The decision on which I am really undecided is whether I want a SINGLE pair of headphones (which would have to do everything well enough) or two pairs (a full-sized for home usage and 40 dollars IEMs for portable usage). It's obvious that one would clearly opt for the second one but I'm not completely convinced yet because I generally listen to music while I'm on the train and rarely when I'm at home (but, again, this habit may well change in the future, since i will have a good pair of headphones at home, which, by the way, would no longer need to be closed since i have my own room to play and listen to music). Which solution would you opt for if you were me?

I had already checked the dt 770 80 ohm and I must admit I got pretty intrigued. Everyone says that they're really present in the low frequencies, would they suit my music tastes (also considering the sample of Italian music i gave you)? How do they perform with films? Are they any good for competitive gaming??

Bump! =)

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #2,388 of 48,565

Quote:

Bump! =)

Hey again, sorry I didn't see your post on the last page and so didn't respond to any of your points there.

1. Microphonics on in-ears: Usually unavoidable, unless you get a pair of in-ears where the cable wraps around the ear (instead of going straight down). Examples: Shure, Westone.

2. 1 headphone or 2 headphones? In your case, I think 2 pairs is better. I have not heard of a headphone that is both good for portable use, and good for gaming/movies.
**Note: DT 770 is not ideal for portable. Yes it is closed, but it is very big.

3. DT 770 for gaming (your question to Vonx): not good for competitive gaming, according to Vonx. Competitive gaming = less bass, but DT 770 = more bass.

So what headphone for gaming? The cheapest and most often recommended headphone are:
- Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (about US$100)
- Koss KSC-75 (about US$15)

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #2,389 of 48,565
I have an asus xonar dx and audio technica ad700, along with koss ksc75 (both which I purchased after a lot of reading on these forums). I've always been a bit unsatisfied with the ad700 due to the soundstage seeming inaccurate. The enemies in counter-strike always seemed to be closer-sounding than they actually were, and it made it very hard to judge location of a moving enemy. Another issue is the lack of bass these provide. I always thought I would upgrade to beyerdynamic dt880 if I felt I needed better headphones, but I'm doubting they are worth the money (to me) due to needing an amp as well, along with the less than stellar rating on here for competitive gaming. I've been looking for a new set for the last few days and came across the following:
razer orca
superlux HD668B
samson sr850

People have been reporting the superlux and samson as being better than the ad700, and there doesn't seem to be any mention of the orca in this thread. The other threads mentioning orca seem to be razer generalized and not orca specific. I was also considering the HARX line but I don't want anything heavier than the ad700 (280 grams)

The reason I mention these is due to their budget price and (I think) lack of required amplifier, since I really don't want to spend what the dt880 setup would cost. The driving force of me looking for new headphones is because I'm looking for headphones that will sound good on a korg sp-250 digital piano, so if these headphones aren't an upgrade on the ad700 I will just be looking for a budget set for the piano. The AD700 do a great job and the ksc75 are not comfortable. I'm open to other suggestions in the $50 price range as well.

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #2,390 of 48,565

Quote:
Hey again, sorry I didn't see your post on the last page and so didn't respond to any of your points there.

1. Microphonics on in-ears: Usually unavoidable, unless you get a pair of in-ears where the cable wraps around the ear (instead of going straight down). Examples: Shure, Westone.

2. 1 headphone or 2 headphones? In your case, I think 2 pairs is better. I have not heard of a headphone that is both good for portable use, and good for gaming/movies.
**Note: DT 770 is not ideal for portable. Yes it is closed, but it is very big.

3. DT 770 for gaming (your question to Vonx): not good for competitive gaming, according to Vonx. Competitive gaming = less bass, but DT 770 = more bass.

So what headphone for gaming? The cheapest and most often recommended headphone are:
- Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (about US$100)
- Koss KSC-75 (about US$15)

So, a not portable one good for gaming+Movies+the music genres I mentioned? =)
thanks again! =)

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #2,391 of 48,565

Quote:
I have an asus xonar dx and audio technica ad700, along with koss ksc75 (both which I purchased after a lot of reading on these forums). I've always been a bit unsatisfied with the ad700 due to the soundstage seeming inaccurate. The enemies in counter-strike always seemed to be closer-sounding than they actually were, and it made it very hard to judge location of a moving enemy. Another issue is the lack of bass these provide. I always thought I would upgrade to beyerdynamic dt880 if I felt I needed better headphones, but I'm doubting they are worth the money (to me) due to needing an amp as well, along with the less than stellar rating on here for competitive gaming. I've been looking for a new set for the last few days and came across the following:
razer orca
superlux HD668B
samson sr850
People have been reporting the superlux and samson as being better than the ad700, and there doesn't seem to be any mention of the orca in this thread. The other threads mentioning orca seem to be razer generalized and not orca specific. I was also considering the HARX line but I don't want anything heavier than the ad700 (280 grams)
The reason I mention these is due to their budget price and (I think) lack of required amplifier, since I really don't want to spend what the dt880 setup would cost. The driving force of me looking for new headphones is because I'm looking for headphones that will sound good on a korg sp-250 digital piano, so if these headphones aren't an upgrade on the ad700 I will just be looking for a budget set for the piano. The AD700 do a great job and the ksc75 are not comfortable. I'm open to other suggestions in the $50 price range as well.

I've had my new Samson SR850 for a week, nice sound. I'm not a current gamer.

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #2,393 of 48,565

Quote:
llSol, the 2 I mentioned are probably good for gaming and movies. I don't know what would be good for the music you enjoy.

I have been reading quite a lot of good stuff regarding the AD700 exception made for the bass. They're the first headphones analyzed in the thread and Mad Lust says:

" They are really bass light. That is their biggest issue. Bass is so light, it sounds like a tin can attempting to sound like a subwoofer. Just no bass, lol. So for immersive, non-competitive gaming, these aren't going to impress. The pads are super comfortable, but the cans are way too loose for some people, and your ears may touch the drivers, which a shock prone person like me couldn't handle anymore."

And he rates 6/10 in terms of fun. As i stated before my main interest is a great and immersive experience (and probably a 25% competitive factor). What would you suggest me?

Nov 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #2,394 of 48,565
Does anyone think that using an amp like the E9 would help the mixamp 5.8 and the pc 360's? I figure I will eventually need one, but I don't want to bother in the short term if it won't help, or worse, would negatively effect the sound.

Nov 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #2,395 of 48,565

Quote:
I have been reading quite a lot of good stuff regarding the AD700 exception made for the bass. They're the first headphones analyzed in the thread and Mad Lust says:

" They are really bass light. That is their biggest issue. Bass is so light, it sounds like a tin can attempting to sound like a subwoofer. Just no bass, lol. So for immersive, non-competitive gaming, these aren't going to impress. The pads are super comfortable, but the cans are way too loose for some people, and your ears may touch the drivers, which a shock prone person like me couldn't handle anymore."

And he rates 6/10 in terms of fun. As i stated before my main interest is a great and immersive experience (and probably a 25% competitive factor). What would you suggest me?

Just about any beyer (except the dt880) and any denon fits your bill. The fun category is the easiest of all, its having the best of competitive and fun worlds combined thats difficult to get. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #2,396 of 48,565

Quote:
Does anyone think that using an amp like the E9 would help the mixamp 5.8 and the pc 360's? I figure I will eventually need one, but I don't want to bother in the short term if it won't help, or worse, would negatively effect the sound.

I personally don't think you will need an amp for the pc 360's.  I use the MixAmp 5.8 with the Beyer DT990 (250ohm) and have no trouble getting them to uncomfortable volume levels without distortion (not that I do that!).  Sound quality is great.

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #2,397 of 48,565

Quote:

The Sennheiser PC360 is only 50-Ohms, easy to drive.

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #2,398 of 48,565

Quote:

Like people said, the PC360s don't need it. 

Double amping in general is bad I believe.  I'm reluctant to even go from mixamp -> E9 -> Q701 as I don't think they need it...

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #2,400 of 48,565

Quote:
Just about any beyer (except the dt880) and any denon fits your bill. The fun category is the easiest of all, its having the best of competitive and fun worlds combined thats difficult to get. 

What would the final answer be? Which headphone+amp would you buy if you were me?
As i habe previously stated, the main factor, to me, is to have a great and immersive experience and, just in a second time, a competitive one (the ideal Marks would then be 9fun/7comp or something like that.. Do you think it's possible with headphones+amp in my price range?? (also, do you think that with an amp that features bass boost, like mixamp, the overall sound of the Ad700s would benefit from that, thus improving the "fun" factor?)
thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back