Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 5, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #2,311 of 48,578
I have the ax720's for a long time and although i have much more higher end phones, I, to be honest find these ABSOLUTELY perfect for what i need to do, which is sound whore. 

I re-plugged them in today after a hiatus and instantly was back up on my top notch game within a few matches (cod of course) and even though i have a horrible OCD about upgrading and am harshly critical, i just cant find a flaw in these things.

The AX Pro's, even though they cost more, are actually a huge step down. They are a hassle to set up volumes on each individual speaker and they really just dont even sound as good. The ax pro's are an old model and the ax 720's are a far better headphone even if the price makes you think otherwise.

Yet, the upgrading critical-ian in me has me thinking there are better headphones out there that might warrant upgrades worth the cost, but i just am wondering HOW much better?

The ax-720's sound a little funky as far as sound quality and realism alone BUT footsteps, gun reloads, image placement, and being that they are not too bassy to overwhelm detail, i just cant imagine anything being much better..

I love the OP and I love this thread but is there someone who has spent a legitimately long amount of time with the tritton ax-720's and upgraded and actually found an improvement in the gaming aspects (and not just sound quality, since the trittons judged on that note are pretty poor)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #2,312 of 48,578

Quote:
The local electronics store in my area is having a BOGO deal. Which headphones would be best for me? I'm using it for gaming and movies. I prefer an open or semi-open that's comfortable with a decent amount of bass. It's for the games that I play the campaign with.

http://www.futureshop.ca/CATALOG/category.aspx?category=HeadphonesBOGO

Just had a quick look...I think the Sennheisers are your best bet. The 558 gets mixed reception here on its bass, although it should be good for positioning (and thus movies as well). However, it's pricey enough that the wireless RS160 is just $50 more. 
You'll prob want to see which one's bassier and go for that one I guess?

Edit:
Well the wireless option certainly seems good in this review:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/4634/sennheiser-rs-160-headphones-review

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #2,314 of 48,578

Quote:
Just had a quick look...I think the Sennheisers are your best bet. The 558 gets mixed reception here on its bass, although it should be good for positioning (and thus movies as well). However, it's pricey enough that the wireless RS160 is just $50 more. 
You'll prob want to see which one's bassier and go for that one I guess?

Edit:
Well the wireless option certainly seems good in this review:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/4634/sennheiser-rs-160-headphones-review

I had the 558 before and returned because of the lack of bass. I would like to mention that I'm using the AX 720 decoder box so I'm not sure how the RS160 wireless will integrate with it. 

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #2,315 of 48,578
No responses? *tear 
frown.gif

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #2,316 of 48,578
Amazon seems to be running a sale on the Sennheiser PC360s... $170

Seems like these are the "go-to" headset around here, and this seems to be the lowest price I've seen.  Worth trying?

My only concern here is being able to shorten the cable.  Has anyone cut their PC360 cable and soldered on an inline plug so you could alternate between short and long headphone cables?

I'm thinking of the following setup:

Astro Mixamp 5.8 for xbox 360 and mac mini- PC360 headset

ASUS Xonar U3 USB sound card for my gaming PC (in another room, so connecting to the mixamp base unit is hard), connected direct to PC360.  The Xonar U3 has DH processing in it so as long as I'm okay with the cable, I won't need to worry about losing out on DH processing from the Mixamp.  As my gaming rig is built on the mITX platform, I have no free internal expansion slots for a dedicated soundcard.

Ideally I'd solder a mini plug onto the headset, so I can use a short cable with the mixamp, and a long cable with the PC.

Ruahrc

Update: got impatient :)  I ordered the PC360 headset along with the Xonar U3 for my PC, and also ordered the Mixamp 5.8 for my console.  After my experience with the PX5's at least I'll have something to compare by.  Hope I like these.

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #2,317 of 48,578

Quote:
Amazon seems to be running a sale on the Sennheiser PC360s... $170

Seems like these are the "go-to" headset around here, and this seems to be the lowest price I've seen.  Worth trying?

My only concern here is being able to shorten the cable.  Has anyone cut their PC360 cable and soldered on an inline plug so you could alternate between short and long headphone cables?

I'm thinking of the following setup:

Astro Mixamp 5.8 for xbox 360 and mac mini- PC360 headset

ASUS Xonar U3 USB sound card for my gaming PC (in another room, so connecting to the mixamp base unit is hard), connected direct to PC360.  The Xonar U3 has DH processing in it so as long as I'm okay with the cable, I won't need to worry about losing out on DH processing from the Mixamp.  As my gaming rig is built on the mITX platform, I have no free internal expansion slots for a dedicated soundcard.

Ideally I'd solder a mini plug onto the headset, so I can use a short cable with the mixamp, and a long cable with the PC.

Ruahrc

Update: got impatient :)  I ordered the PC360 headset along with the Xonar U3 for my PC, and also ordered the Mixamp 5.8 for my console.  After my experience with the PX5's at least I'll have something to compare by.  Hope I like these.

gl, thats another headphone i considered to be a possible upgrade but i cant justify paying 2-3 times as much for a headphone when i could get a ad700 for half the price. 

my current rig is already more than i need, im just trying really hard to see if someone actually finds another headphone being a worthy upgrade from it that actually warrants the price

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #2,318 of 48,578
Hello all.

I have a ps3, Oppo bdp93 bluray, and NAD t747 receiver.  I use ps3media server from my laptop for music, but I am also moving all my music and moved to a 2TB HDD in a thermaltake external enclosure that will connect to the oppo player via Esata.

I am looking into a wireless headset for gaming, music, and movie watching without disturbing my partner.

I have a pair of westone 3's that I love and would like to know from someone with experience if they work well with the Astro mixamp 5.8. I would still have to find a solution to needing a mic but I figure I could use a clip-on somehow (anyone tell me what I should look into?)

I am also considering the westone 4's since I have the ability to get them at a significant discount.  Would they be better for a mix of gaming, movies, and music when combined with the mixamp?

I have looked into the ath-ad700 since many people have reviewed them for gaming (and the mic mods), but I really prefer IEM's.  I do have an interest in the beyerdynamic mmx300's but again...i really like not having cups over my ears.

Any Westone 3 owners with a mixamp that can give me some advice?

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #2,319 of 48,578
Hello all, quick question...
For a laptop and fps games, which Bayerdynamic 770 Pro should I get ? 80ohm or 250ohm ?
Should I run external amp for them ? If so which one ? I see a lot of mention for Astra Mixamp and the Fiio e10.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #2,320 of 48,578

Quote:
I would still have to find a solution to needing a mic but I figure I could use a clip-on somehow (anyone tell me what I should look into?)

I am also considering the westone 4's since I have the ability to get them at a significant discount.  Would they be better for a mix of gaming, movies, and music when combined with the mixamp?

Mic: Zalman is a mic to start looking into. It has its fair share of supporters and haters, but at least searching that will give you a better idea of what options are available.

Westone 4: Don't be fooled into thinking W4 > W3; technically, perhaps this is true. Whether you'll actually like it is a hotly debated subject--for example, I've tried the UM3X and like them much better than the Westone 4.

Quote:
For a laptop and fps games, which Bayerdynamic 770 Pro should I get ? 80ohm or 250ohm ?
Should I run external amp for them ? If so which one ? I see a lot of mention for Astra Mixamp and the Fiio e10.

I can't think of a better thread to refer you to than Zombie_X's massive guide to all variants of the DT770, 880 and 990:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #2,321 of 48,578
Hey, Has anyone tried the Superlux HD668B's and could compare them to the AD-700s? I'm looking at these two because I will be using them mainly for fps gaming, and directional sound is very high on my list.
Those are my two choices at the moment, I can get the AD-700's for 200 NZ and the Superlux HD668Bs for around 90 NZ.
Which should I get? Oh I should mention I only have onboard sound at the moment. I really want the AD-700s but the price is a drawback for me. I was thinking of getting the HD668B's and the Asus Xonar DG soundcard.
I welcome anybodies thoughts and opinions.
Thanks

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #2,322 of 48,578

Quote:

I own both the DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm and DT770 Pro 250-Ohm.
The 80-Ohm is for bassheads, I prefer the sound of the 250-Ohm.
look up this thread for more info.
"[Guide] Sonic Differences Between the DT770-DT990 Models & More"

You would need a headphone amplifier for the 250-Ohm
The 80-Ohm might work, but a headphone amplifier brings out it's best.

Astra mix-amp can output Dolby Headphone 5.1
Does your laptop have coaxial or optical output?

The Fiio E10 does not come with Dolby built in.

Nov 10, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #2,324 of 48,578

Quote:
Lol, coaxial or optical, what's the difference again ? :)
Here's the laptop that I own.
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8170-clevo-p170hm-p-2971.html

The laptop lists a "S/PDIF Digital output to 7.1 Channel"
So it has the Digital output port and I think it's optical.
But hopefully the manual has more details.

Nov 10, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #2,325 of 48,578
That's what I could find as far as audio and my laptop...

High Definition Audio
3D Enhanced Sound System
S/PDIF Digital Output
Built-In Microphone
THX TruStudio Pro
7.1CH Audio output supported by
headphone, microphone, S/PDIF & Line-In Jack
5 Built-In Speakers and One Sub Woofer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back