Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 4, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #1,981 of 48,562

You can probably get used PC360s for around that much.
Quote:
i purchased my 5.8 mixamp this weekend :) now time to find some headphones 

i know i said 100$ limit i could stretch it to 150 

but would you pick the hd555 or the ad700...i would do the mod on the 555 (hope i dont mess anything up lol) i would the headphones to be great for gaming but i needed to use them for a movie or music that they would be fine also, you guys said the ad700 is only good for gaming 

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #1,982 of 48,562
Can anyone comment on sound quality with the Senn PC360 headset? Both this and the HD 598s are available at my local store for the same price and I'm curious how they compare. The reason I want to know is because if the sound quality is comparable I'd rather get the headset than have to mess around with getting an extra microphone (these headphones are to be for computer use and I do a lot of gaming/voip on a regular basis). Note that I don't really care about "positional" audio for games, I'm more concerned with musical quality. Also, I'm only concerned with PC360 vs HD598 since I can get them locally, so please don't give me other recommendations.

(I already got my 598s today and they sound great, but since I can return them for full price to the store maybe tomorrow I'll just pick up the PC360 and compare them for myself before returning one.)

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #1,983 of 48,562
....and if you plan to chat/voip/whathaveyou, get the PC/PS3 chat cable as well. I missed that with my purchase, and have had to do a separate order via ebay -- I skype with friends regularly when playing SC2.  
Quote:
Wireless Mixamp - Just as good as the wired Mixamp (though it does have minor hiss at loud volumes, the wired one doesn't, though it's a non-issue for the most part), but quite costly. MAKE SURE to buy the Astro rechargeable battery pack. Just....trust me. This thing eats batteries, and non-astro branded rechargeables won't charge via USB. Save yourself the hassle.

Interested in this as well. I've been using a separate wireless mic, but would love an integrated setup and my first open-back can as well. To be honest I'd pull the trigger immediately if a good sale comes up.
Quote:
Can anyone comment on sound quality with the Senn PC360 headset?

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #1,984 of 48,562
Just wanted to show off this game again in case anyone missed it.
Quote:
Edit: this guy has probably been playing this game every day for the last 7 years or so.

Those machines have headphone jacks on them. =p

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #1,985 of 48,562

Quote:
Can anyone comment on sound quality with the Senn PC360 headset? Both this and the HD 598s are available at my local store for the same price and I'm curious how they compare. The reason I want to know is because if the sound quality is comparable I'd rather get the headset than have to mess around with getting an extra microphone (these headphones are to be for computer use and I do a lot of gaming/voip on a regular basis). Note that I don't really care about "positional" audio for games, I'm more concerned with musical quality. Also, I'm only concerned with PC360 vs HD598 since I can get them locally, so please don't give me other recommendations.

(I already got my 598s today and they sound great, but since I can return them for full price to the store maybe tomorrow I'll just pick up the PC360 and compare them for myself before returning one.)

Please give a update if you decide to try PC360 also. It would be interesting to know how they compare.

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #1,986 of 48,562
Alright, so I tried both the PC360 and HD598 side by side, and I'll try to briefly describe it (I'm not an audiophile nor am I very technical with describing sound so here goes =P). NOTE: I am testing these using the onboard sound of my ASUS Sabertooth P67 motherboard, so no amp or other specialized equipment.

Basically, the sound quality from both cans is pretty much on par, especially considering that the PC360's drivers apparently match those of the HD595 predecessor. Both highs and mids are very clear and sound strong to me due to the large soundstage of having such large cans. In short, there isn't any range of sound that I feel is underrepresented or muddled by either set. As for bass, here we get into the major difference that I notice, where the HD598 clearly wins. There is a lot more "punch" in the lows with these headphones; while the PC360, though still having very noticeable bass, just doesn't have that same kick that I feel with the 598s on. Neither set has the same heavy bass as perhaps a closed headphone, but for an open design both sets are at least adequately respectable. Additionally, I find the 598s to be much more comfortable because, while both sets have the same cup size, the 360 pads are much harder and, at least for now out of the box, take some getting used to. Also, keep in mind that the PC360 is an open headset true to its claim, and as such does leak just as much sound to the outside as the 598s. However, when voiping I haven't heard any complaints from others of hearing my music through the mic unless, of course, I blasted it at the highest volumes and didn't use push-to-talk.

That being said, the PC360 has the benefit of the mic, which I most certainly need on a daily basis. It is very clear when using on ventrilo and in game (as my online friends have already attested to), but it is a little quiet, though enabling a minor boost in the Windows sound options does the trick without resulting in unbearable static.

So here's my dilemma: just looking at the sound quality for music, I'm inclined to stay with the 598s. The PC360 is still more than acceptable for me, and as a gaming headset is unmatched by others of its kind in terms of comfort and sound quality outside of the game, but I would be hard pressed to give up my 598s either way. However, if this is my final decision, then I also need to get me a reliable microphone, so I have to ask you guys if anyone can recommend a decent one. I was thinking of getting a clip-on mic such the Zalman which I've heard mentioned plenty of times on several forums, but I've heard both good and bad things about it so if anyone has experience please share. The other option would be the get a good desktop mic, but I'd rather not because I prefer some mobility (aka not having to speak directly into the mic) and I really don't want to shell out another $100 to get one of those fancy USB Snowball mics.

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #1,987 of 48,562
Hey, to give some love to RazorDog! Deals (there are some of us who were able to score Senn PC360's for $180 off them, myself included), go to their facebook page and like them. I wouldn't advertise for them just because, but they really did help a lot of us out with their low prices for the PC360 (they are also authorized).

They're giving away HD59s this month, and are giving away headphones every month... so you guys might wanna look into that, as they are stellar gaming cans. Just gotta enter the sweepstakes on that page every month, only have to like their page once.

http://www.facebook.com/razordogdeals?sk=app_130529100359113

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #1,988 of 48,562
I was contemplating originally buying from Razerdog via Ebay, seeing as they are an authorized dealer. However, I wanted the safety net of being able to return my headphones without hassle if I deemed that they weren't for me. Also, living in Canada, I would have to deal with extra shipping and brokerage costs to get them here.

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #1,989 of 48,562
I don't think anyone would be disappointed in the PC360s. Near perfect balance, great positioning, and soundstage. Unlesss you want emphasis in certain regions (like MOAR BASSSSSADADADAldnhueuhfuiasdfjkl), the PC360 should be pretty much the best headset with no need to tweak.

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #1,990 of 48,562
I've made my choice, I'm sticking with the PC360s. After all is said and done, they offer great sound and the utility of a mic on hand, which together trump the appeal of the HD598s in my opinion.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #1,993 of 48,562
I didn't try that, so sorry, I dunno. the shape does seem pretty much the same, so it wouldn't hurt to try. I know the PC360's pads 'snap' off. I didn't remove the HD598's.

Aug 6, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #1,994 of 48,562
I just want to come in here to say that the Ultrasone PRO 2900 has been an amazingly good headphone for gaming, whether it be through a Mixamp/Xbox combo or Xonar Essence ST. They're a bit expensive for the average gamer, but so worth it I thought. Very easy to mod a microphone onto them too.

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #1,995 of 48,562
Hello gamers, I am still new to headphones but what a difference it makes when you play online with them. I am still searching for the best headphones for my ears only. I have dt 990's(600ohm) with the fiio e9(starter amp for now) and mixamp which sounds pretty good on xbox 360.. I really like the high treble and the bass they put out. These are great for hearing footsteps clearly on blk ops/mw2 but could be better for postional accrucy which brings me to my question. Now, I am not trying to brag about the headphones I have but trying to find awesome headphones just for gaming online only. I have three choices, AKG Q701's, HD 598 and the almighty 360's. I dont need a mic and its probally overkill with these headphones but I like quality sound, well not the hd 800's quality( too expensive). I searched this thread/AVS plus looked up amps too. I like crystal clear treble and the most important attribute is positonal accrucy. BASS is not a priorty so which one of these cans would fit the bill? I am leaning towards the Q701's and I there are the ultrasones I am reading about too. So audiophiles, help me choose the best one or convince me to buy different ones. Thanks again Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back