Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 17, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #1,892 of 48,566

Quote:
rolleyes.gif
 Right, because one game or sound file or song might not work better than any another in terms of trying to determine the size of the soundstage. All I need is my ears! Of course! Why didn't I think of that?

I don't see what the problem is.  You're asking people on this forum which of the two headphones that you already own have the bigger sound stage for games [or music].  One would think that it would make more sense for you to do the testing for yourself since you actually have both, and you can easily test out the games that you own.  If you have less of an issue with one pair over the other with certain games, that's the pair you would use for those games.  If the other pair end up being better for other games, then you would switch.  The way a headphone sounds will vary from person to person.

Quote:
guys..i just checked.. apparently the no local store in my country has mixamp, Turtle beach DSS, asus xonar U1 or U3.. T.T
so is there any other way for me to get DH from laptop??

For anything other than games, you can get it through software.

http://pcloadletter.co.uk/2011/04/05/5-1-channel-audio-through-headphones/
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/447089/5-1-headphone-experience-foobar-configuration-for-all-stereo-music-files
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss

Also, where do you live, and is it too expensive through shipping to get the hardware from Amazon?

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #1,895 of 48,566

Quote:
You can also get DH from a laptop using headsets that have DH USB dongles, like the Sennheiser PC 333D.

I'd be wary of the 333D.  There are quite a few complaints about how very uncomfortable the 333D are.  Another option is the Tritton AX 720, but the default headphones are "meh" at best (their imaging with DH is actually quite terrible).  You have to factor in the cost of better headphones if you don't already have some, as well as the adapter that allows you to plug into the Tritton box. It would also require an optical out I believe, and I have no idea how many laptops have that.

I also have no idea if this is a localized Chinese Amazon, or just an Amazon in Chinese that does international shipping.

http://www.amazon.cn/?source=amazon-usfooter

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #1,899 of 48,566

Quote:

I'd be wary of the 333D.  There are quite a few complaints about how very uncomfortable the 333D are.  Another option is the Tritton AX 720, but the default headphones are "meh" at best (their imaging with DH is actually quite terrible).  You have to factor in the cost of better headphones if you don't already have some, as well as the adapter that allows you to plug into the Tritton box. It would also require an optical out I believe, and I have no idea how many laptops have that.

I also have no idea if this is a localized Chinese Amazon, or just an Amazon in Chinese that does international shipping.

http://www.amazon.cn/?source=amazon-usfooter

The AX720 is a great versatile system which does not limit you to using just the stock headset. For the price it does offer a decent edge in competitive FPS mulitplayer. Im not a big fan of it in terms of music and movies and the soundstage with the stock cans arent as broad and clear as others but you can get it relatively cheap and it will suit your needs.

Another headset that Im very impressed with even though it is just stereo sound is the Razer Chimaera 2.4. Great sound and its wireless. I know the 2.4hz can cause intereference with wireless routers and everything else wireless but knock on wood I havent had experienced any.  

Jul 18, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #1,900 of 48,566
I recently PM'd a guy some of my comparisons of the Pro 900 to the AD700 and K702. I figured I'd post a couple things here in case anyone can benefit from my impressions. :wink:

For gaming...the AD700s were great for competetive multi with a huge soundstage and good imaging. A complete lack of bass makes them very weak for immersiveness and multiplayer. I thought they were terrible for most music honestly. I don't listen to classical but I bet they would be pretty good for that. I preferred the K702 and Pro 900 by a HUGE margin-both for ALL types of gaming, music, and movies. Well I didn't like the AKGs for movies but the Pro 900s are the best I've ever heard in that regard. For the price, I think the AD700s are very good for cometetive multiplayer and nothing else. If you can splurge for the others I would definitely recommend doing so. Especially the Pro 900s as they are better all-rounders music-wise than the K702, and quite a bit better on the gaming/movies side, imo. Also they can be driven out of anything, and don't need great amplification like the K702s either!

About the AD700s bass...it really is as bad as everyone claims lol. Almost nonexistent. It isn't even strong enough to give a good foundation for any type of music very well...and with games I believe it is the lack of bass that also makes the other frequencies weaker. For example an assault rifle in Battlefield Bad Company 2 sounds like someone is spraying an automatic plastic pellet pistol from 50 yeards lol. Just a VERY VERY tinny sound to it. The AKGs also sound a LITTLE thin, but not nearly as bad. The Pro 900s however, sound very real and impactful, and I believe a lot of that has to do with the bass serving as a foundation for more accurate mids (gunfire and footsteps in this instance.) The only area the AD700s excel in is the huge soundstage-BUT it tends to not have much depth at all. The Pro 900s have by far the BEST soundstage/imaging/3D depth of these 3 cans, and this makes it very simple to identify from exactly where almost ANY noise is coming from. Keep in mind that I ONLY use the Pro 900s with the silver pads, which tames the bass down slightly, but also really brings out the details in the mids. In this regard they worked absolutely flawlessly both for competetive gaming and from a singleplayer experience-which is where I felt the other 2 cans failed.

-Daniel

Jul 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #1,903 of 48,566

Quote:
. The Pro 900s however, sound very real and impactful, and I believe a lot of that has to do with the bass serving as a foundation for more accurate mids (gunfire and footsteps in this instance.) The only area the AD700s excel in is the huge soundstage-BUT it tends to not have much depth at all. The Pro 900s have by far the BEST soundstage/imaging/3D depth of these 3 cans, and this makes it very simple to identify from exactly where almost ANY noise is coming from. Keep in mind that I ONLY use the Pro 900s with the silver pads, which tames the bass down slightly, but also really brings out the details in the mids. In this regard they worked absolutely flawlessly both for competetive gaming and from a singleplayer experience-which is where I felt the other 2 cans failed.  
-Daniel

Mine will be here in two days, so I'll be able to make slightly more informed comments on the subject; but the recessed mids are one of the very few complaints (other than the "overbearing"--but you know, it depends on the person---bass) I've seen around the net from various articles on them.  There's even a guy testing out the frequencies through pink noise and also a spectrograph I believe (he calls it an analyzer) to show how flat any given pair of headphones are.  The 900's had elevated bass, then way lower than average midrange, and then it steadily rises up towards the high end, then drops again at the highest frequencies.  It actually resembles some of the graphs that have been shown for these too.

I have no idea how accurate this could be with how kind of random he seemed to hold the testing mic, but it's an interesting video that shows a whole lot of various headphones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJh8B1QfEn0

7:32 is when he shows the Ultrasones.

You should also watch his video about his opinion of the benefits (or lack thereof) of burn in.  Even if his assessment is partially, or mostly incorrect, he still gives some pretty good practical advice.

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #1,904 of 48,566
I cannot stress enough though: USE THE SILVER PADS!!
deadhorse.gif
 Not to sound like a broken record but they REALLY bring out the mids and tame the bass. I'm not sure I'd even recommend them for competetive gaming with just the black pads, honestly. And even though the mids were still SLIGHTLY recessed, they were so very clear that the prominant bass didn't get in the way at all imo, but at the same time made  all types of gaming that much more immersive. Pretty much every comment I've made for gaming has been with regards to the silver pads. My only regret is I never tried the Blue Dragon cable which by most reports makes the headphones even more balanced across the spectrum, and apparently brings out a lot more detail (oh noes it's a myth!!
rolleyes.gif
) and a much greater degree of transparency too. Sounds like a massive improvement at not to steep of a cost.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back