Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 15, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #1,861 of 48,566
Different people have different anatomies which affect their own personal HRTF and because of that no single combination of headphone and DSP will work the same for everyone.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #1,862 of 48,566
The comonation of Slogic and Dolby gave me the most lifelike gaming expeiriance I've ever heard. I tested it out with Fallout NV, so I don't know how good it would be for competitive gaming, but I was majorly impressed. The ambiance was good enough that I walked all the way across the game map without even thinking of fast travel. I gave it a quick test with Minecraft, the sound effects arn't quite hifi, but I got a good sense of space, height, distance, and all that.

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #1,863 of 48,566

Quote:
Different people have different anatomies which affect their own personal HRTF and because of that no single combination of headphone and DSP will work the same for everyone.

DH and other DSPs go for a one size fits all approach in regards to HRTF. 

Here are some sample of audio processed with different HRTFs for different heads -->  http://recherche.ircam.fr/equipes/salles/listen/sounds.html

I'm not sure how Dolby decided on the head shape to use, but DH could probably be adjusted to better fit different heads if they let you play with settings.

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #1,864 of 48,566
Quote:
DH and other DSPs go for a one size fits all approach in regards to HRTF. 

Here are some sample of audio processed with different HRTFs for different heads -->  http://recherche.ircam.fr/equipes/salles/listen/sounds.html

I'm not sure how Dolby decided on the head shape to use, but DH could probably be adjusted to better fit different heads if they let you play with settings.

The thing is, they try for a "one size fits all" but that's pretty much impossible so it ends up being a "one size is acceptable to most" sort of thing.

I'm just trying to point out that the fact that different people have different opinions about what headphones work with DH of even if DH is better than stereo is not a sign of someone lying or of a grand conspiracy.  They just have different ears, heads, faces, and torsos than you do and that influences you localize sounds in RL.

It would be better if there more setting to play around with but it would be a hassle to add the ability to change the settings to an arbitrary piece of hardware like the mixamp or a receiver so it's not done.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #1,865 of 48,566
DH works really well with Open-backed Ultrasones, I use it with my hfi-2200 and hfi-15g/hs-15 and get great results. I intended to pick up the  PRO2900 but too many game sales in the past couple weeks made me spend my money elsewhere. I'm not sure how well it works with closed-backed Ultrasones since I don't own any, but I'm sure it'd be fine though but it might have too much bass (PRO900) for competitive playing

Jul 16, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #1,866 of 48,566
I need to clarify a couple of things. First, Dolby Headphone is absolutely phenomenal on the Pro 900s for gaming-I never said otherwise! I believe they were made for each other-and even Ultrasone themselves say S-Logic is designed to work for DH and the like-just read the description on the Amazon page.

Also, I hate to admit that MOST of the movies I was watching with the Pro 900s were streaming on the 360- and I don't believe any of them were DD to begin with-which means my DSS was actually just putting out Pro Logic II-which would also explain why I preferred movies in stereo.
redface.gif
 Unfortunately I just got the Netflix service when I got my Pros so I'm not even sure if I tried them with real DD (to DH) cuz I was always watching Netflix and not Blu-rays lol. I'm sure I'd be just as impressed with the DH for movies as I was with games! Sure want to try Silent Cinema with these now!

-Daniel

Jul 16, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #1,867 of 48,566

Quote:
K701 (or K702 for those who went that route)

Now if only they were easy to drive. Believe it or not, the Mixamp does a SPECTACULAR job driving the K70x, as long as you don't mix in voice chat whatsoever. Talking about leaving the game/voice balance completely on the game side. Once you nudge the balance away from game, the volume takes a steep dive, and you will note how badly the things need an amp.

What do you mean about the voice/game balance? I didn't understand that in the thread. Are you saying that when you have mates talking in say Teamspeak the sound becomes a lot worse?

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #1,869 of 48,566
Hmm... I use my k702 with mixamp and chat and i can hear ok... But this is on black OPS, where audio sux even with k702 and no chat. :)
When my lyr arrives, I can leave my e9 always with k702 to try again :)

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #1,870 of 48,566

Quote:
I need to clarify a couple of things. First, Dolby Headphone is absolutely phenomenal on the Pro 900s for gaming-I never said otherwise! I believe they were made for each other-and even Ultrasone themselves say S-Logic is designed to work for DH and the like-just read the description on the Amazon page.

Also, I hate to admit that MOST of the movies I was watching with the Pro 900s were streaming on the 360- and I don't believe any of them were DD to begin with-which means my DSS was actually just putting out Pro Logic II-which would also explain why I preferred movies in stereo.
redface.gif
 Unfortunately I just got the Netflix service when I got my Pros so I'm not even sure if I tried them with real DD (to DH) cuz I was always watching Netflix and not Blu-rays lol. I'm sure I'd be just as impressed with the DH for movies as I was with games! Sure want to try Silent Cinema with these now!

-Daniel

Hmm, thanks for clarifying.  I know it was mentioned that they sounded great with games (I wasn't really saying anyone said otherwise, I was simply focusing on the "movie" aspect is all--my bad for not being specific), but I was looking for a games + movies headset, with movies being the most important.  Not because I watch movies much more than I game, but because I think it's easier to enjoy [non FPS] games with any "decent" headphones than it is to have a truly awesome experience watching movies.

What is your source for DH anyway, a dedicated receiver, or are you using one of the smaller DACs? Are you using any EQ?  I only ask, because I'm going to have to end up buying not only a headphone amp, but possibly an EQ.  Price wise, they don't seem to be that much more than the DT990's, but the main issue is still finding a good place to purchase them from new.

I did read the product description, and saw nothing mentioned about Dolby Headphone anywhere for the 900 series--which is why I started questioning compatibility in the first place.  However, I do see it listed for the "HFI-780's" which they claim were tailored specifically for gaming and movie watching.

Edit: Bleh, impulse buying FTW?  I'll have my 900s next week.  Hopefully I won't need to modify the bass back at all.  Since these are not for critical music listening (even though they are still supposed to sound great even with non DNB/Hip-Hop) it should not matter too much.  Plus, I want that subwoofer feeling for movies and games anyway.  Just in time for the LOTR and Star Wars (original) Blu-Ray trilogies eh?

Jul 16, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #1,871 of 48,566

Quote:

Hmm, thanks for clarifying.  I know it was mentioned that they sounded great with games (I wasn't really saying anyone said otherwise, I was simply focusing on the "movie" aspect is all--my bad for not being specific), but I was looking for a games + movies headset, with movies being the most important.  Not because I watch movies much more than I game, but because I think it's easier to enjoy [non FPS] games with any "decent" headphones than it is to have a truly awesome experience watching movies.

What is your source for DH anyway, a dedicated receiver, or are you using one of the smaller DACs? Are you using any EQ?  I only ask, because I'm going to have to end up buying not only a headphone amp, but possibly an EQ.  Price wise, they don't seem to be that much more than the DT990's, but the main issue is still finding a good place to purchase them from new.

I did read the product description, and saw nothing mentioned about Dolby Headphone anywhere for the 900 series--which is why I started questioning compatibility in the first place.  However, I do see it listed for the "HFI-780's" which they claim were tailored specifically for gaming and movie watching.

Edit: Bleh, impulse buying FTW?  I'll have my 900s next week.  Hopefully I won't need to modify the bass back at all.  Since these are not for critical music listening (even though they are still supposed to sound great even with non DNB/Hip-Hop) it should not matter too much.  Plus, I want that subwoofer feeling for movies and games anyway.  Just in time for the LOTR and Star Wars (original) Blu-Ray trilogies eh?

Could you do a comparison of the Beyer 990's vs the Ultrasone 900's, when you get them in ofcourse.

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #1,872 of 48,566
Sanctuary, I'm just simply using the DSS for both movies and games believe it or not. Sometimes I use the DSS as a preamp and run it into the E9. Also, maybe it was the 780 description I was thinking of on Amazon, but keep in mind the 900s have the + version which is supposed to be better anyway. I will reiterate again that the 900s SMOKE any of my other headphones for movies imo. A lot of my headphones are serviceable for gaming with DH, but for some reason I always hate headphones for movies until the 900s won me over in a huge way. I would easily recommend them at full retail price even if you were only gonna use them with movies-they're that good. Also, I do not use any equalizing with them whatsoever-but I've never really been down that road anyway. I can't state enough how much the silver pads help to balance everything to my ears...but they might not be for everybody (bassheads). Another option is getting a Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable which many Pro 900 users rave about-I will be doing so eventually.

Regarding price, keep in mind that the DT 990s will require serious amplification, whereas you don't really need it with the Pros-they will benefit from it for sure though! But they do sound great from anything imo.

Scytus, FWIW I wasn't a big fan of the DT 990s. Even though they were a 'fun' sounding headphone for sure...a couple of things really turned me off of them. First off, the mids were very recessed to my ears. Vocals in my pop/rock songs were always getting buried under the bass and that was unacceptable for me from a vocals/guitar standpoint for music. Secondly, much like the 880s, they were very sibilant up top, and they were the only two headphones which always made my ears ring. I would bet however, that they would be very good for movies and singleplayer gaming. Their bass is incredibly subwoofer like and very enjoyable. They are also very comfortable to wear for hours on end.

I still believe the Pro 900s are better in every single area other than comfort. The bass is better all the way around, the mids are 'less' recessed, and the highs aren't quite as piercing (but still a bit sibilant). Keep in mind that I got rid of the DT 990s in less than a week.  Even though I had good amps for them (modded m-Stage and Asgard at the time), I do wonder if they would have improved much with burnin...which I probably did for a couple of days if memory serves. Anyway, hope this helps.

-Daniel 

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #1,873 of 48,566

Quote:
Could you do a comparison of the Beyer 990's vs the Ultrasone 900's, when you get them in ofcourse.

Sorry, I won't be able to do that.  I don't own the 990s, they were what I had been considering purchasing out of all of the headphones I'd seen discussed here until the Ultrasones were brought to my attention.

Quote:

Sanctuary, I'm just simply using the DSS for both movies and games believe it or not. Sometimes I use the DSS as a preamp and run it into the E9.

On that note, something else that hasn't been answered to my satisfaction yet: would something like the E7 (instead of E9) adversely affect the DH processing since it's also a DAC?  I'm looking at either the E7, E9 or E11--all of which seem to have different strengthes and weaknesses.  Both the E9 and E11 are amp only, and the E7 has a DAC.  Whatever amp I end up getting would already be connected to a DAC.

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #1,875 of 48,566
I'm looking for some headphones that I can use for both Gaming and to use when listening to my iPod or laptop. When gaming I mainly play COD on the Xbox 360 and I will be using the headphone with my Astro Mix Amp. Can someone help me choose a closed headphone that will be best for me. I currently own a pair of Sennheiser PC 360's so I'm looking for something that will either match them or exceed them. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back