Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 16, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #1,876 of 48,583
The Pro 900 duh. Maybe a W1000x, although I haven't really heard how they work for gaming. Keep in mind that the Pro 900s don't seal very well at all, if that's a problem. Or maybe you have $1500 to blow...just buy an Edition 8 and call it a day...

-Daniel

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #1,878 of 48,583
Somebody in one of the W1000x threads said he like it for gaming.  I'm not sure if that was for single player immersion, FPS pinpoint accuracy, or both.

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #1,879 of 48,583
One headphone I always wanted to try for gaming is the W5000. It is said to have an extremely accurate 3D soundstage, and is very detailed to boot. I do wonder however, if the soundstage could possibly improve on the Ulrasones though especially with DH and like like...I would assume they great though.

-Daniel

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #1,883 of 48,583
Sorry I can't. I'm not very familiar with the 770. I just know there are plenty of people here claiming some are very bass heavy and some are bass shy. I'd suggest pm-ing Zombie_X who is the master of all things Beyerdynamic around these parts...

-Daniel

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #1,884 of 48,583
This thread might be helpful:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

-Daniel

Edit: After briefly reading that, it looks like the 32 ohm version is probably the one to get for competetive gaming, and the 80 ohm is the one to steer clear of.

The 32 ohm can be purchased here, but may be cheaper elsewhere, idk:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyer-Dynamic-Premium-32-Headphones/dp/B0024NK36C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310857293&sr=8-1

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #1,885 of 48,583
I currently use a pair of HFI-780s with an Astro MixAmp for movies and gaming, and I have to say, I love them for both. I was so loath to give up the HFI-780 for gaming when I was in XBL parties that I eventually picked up the Labtec mic and did a boom mic mod for the 780s (just used some self-stick velcro for attaching the boom mic, nothing intricate). It's worked out well. Still need to test it in some more in competitive FPS, though, to see if it works better or worse than the A40s I've been using for that. (Hey, I got the A40s and mixamp combo before I got into audio stuff. They aren't fantastic, but they do work fairly well for soundwhoring.) I have a suspicion that the bass might be somewhat distracting in multiplayer (plus, I'm not sure if the soundstage with the A40s or the 780s would be bigger. What do you guys use to test that?)

Anyway, another recommendation for Ultrasone+DH from me. If S-Logic and DH work for your ears, it's a great, fun combo.

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #1,886 of 48,583

Quote:
Well you can't really double-dac something like you can double amp it. What are you using for DH?

-Daniel

The Pioneer SE-DIR800 box.  Basically it's an Astro mixamp with three DH settings instead of one that also decodes DTS and also allows for both wired and wireless to be active at the same time.  No mic possibilities however.

Quote:
plus, I'm not sure if the soundstage with the A40s or the 780s would be bigger. What do you guys use to test that?

Perhaps your own ears?
dt880smile.png

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #1,887 of 48,583
Sanctuary-regarding your other question: You would probably ONLY use the Pioneer for games and movies to get the DH processing and amplification. If you feel like that is somewhat underpowered, you should then use the Pioneer as sort of a pre-amp to the E-9, E-11 etc. You would in this case turn the  volume ALL the way up on the Fiio, then use the Pioneer dial (as low as possible) to adjust for volume. This will keep the 'double-amping'  side effects to a minimum. If you used the E7 in this scenario, it's dac would be disabled anyway since the Pioneer will always be used as dac (DH processing) anyway. The best-case scenario however is using ONLY the Pioneer-except for music where you would probably want a better stereo dac doing those duties. Hope that all makes sense.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back