Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 22, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #1,666 of 48,578
Now for more overkill gaming setup, I am going to report how well STAX fare on FPSs.

Once Steam is back up that is.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #1,668 of 48,578
I use the E9 with xbox 360 too. Looking for an upgrade, would be the Nuforce Icon Hdp a good idea for an overall use? Dac, Amp, and with console? The nuforce hpd would be able to feed the beyerdynamic 600 ohm as the E9 is capable of?

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #1,669 of 48,578
Played a few games of Neotokyo and Bad Company 2 on it. Definitely a great performer for the competitive type, it is not as bass light as my AD1000PRM but the positioning is even better and even in very big gunfights you can still hear the vital cues from the chaos.

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #1,670 of 48,578
Quote:
Played a few games of Neotokyo and Bad Company 2 on it. Definitely a great performer for the competitive type, it is not as bass light as my AD1000PRM but the positioning is even better and even in very big gunfights you can still hear the vital cues from the chaos.

You've opened the floodgates.

We need an O2 v 009 v Orpheus on a DIY T2 comparison now...

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #1,671 of 48,578
Quote:
Quote:
MLE, With the mixamp 5.8 and hard to drive cans sometimes there is clipping/distortion/sudden half second sound drops. Does this disappear with the wired mixamp and/or with another amp connected?

Glad I'm not only person with this problem, I have the wired version and get the same problem, was playing dead space 2 when it happened, one of the last levels and there was alot of enemies coming at once and the sound distorted then disappeared for about a second or so.

This is using my dt 990 600ohm with wired mixamp and fiio e9

Yea, I never noticed it before. Was checking out my ED8 and HD800 in MW2, and there were two or three instances of 1-second dropouts. Reminds me of the X41. Strangely enough, I don't remember this ever happening with my T1s.

But I was using it straight to the 5.8. If it's happening with the E9 too...

EDIT: Just a theory, but perhaps it's the limited frequency response of the mixamp? Would that be able to limit the headphone's output and distort sound?

Its got to be something with the mixamp, i think mine maybe is faulty or I also remember reading on here I think someone said that the mixamp overloads if too many sounds are coming through it if that is the right terminology.

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #1,672 of 48,578
The Mixamp does have a limited response, so it may have issues when a lot is going on, especially with a lot of bass. Fortunately its infrequent, and not a dealbreaker for me. Easy to drive cans seem to deal with it better.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #1,673 of 48,578
On the computer being fed through the already loud music streamer, the mixamp does indeed clip on a lot of bass-heavy songs for me, but on ps3 it seems to be ok.  My guess is it's the music streamer's high (preamp?) output level.  Ironically if I make the mixamp try to drive the DT990/600 directly on the ps3, there isn't such clipping.

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #1,674 of 48,578
The strange thing is though that I getting the issue on the pc 360 as well, with both headphones when running around on assassins creed brotherhood and whenever I run past people and there are talking I get distortion

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #1,675 of 48,578
First impressions on the PRO2900.... It demolishes anything else I've tried for gaming, the AD900 is left in the dust, perfect positioning in every direction. I think Dolby was made for this headphone.
More impressions to come after burn in.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #1,676 of 48,578

Quote:
First impressions on the PRO2900.... It demolishes anything else I've tried for gaming, the AD900 is left in the dust, perfect positioning in every direction. I think Dolby was made for this headphone.
More impressions to come after burn in.

Interesting. Pretty much same here with the ED8, though I still feel it lacking in soundstage compared to the wide open behemoths. Doesn't effect positioning in the least though, only immersion. 

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #1,677 of 48,578
Yeah, I find the soundstage amazing, but it is lacking the airy sound that I loved from the AD900. Its worth the trade off for the bass though.

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #1,679 of 48,578
If I had to compare it, I'd say it has half the airyness of the AD900, I'm glad I chose an open Ultrasone, half of my music sounds lifeless out of any closed phones now. So far I'm loving the Slogic, It really is like a 5.1 set at times. Some people will hate it for that, but I found it works wonders for folk, and atmospheric music. Sounds a little unnatural for some stuff though.

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #1,680 of 48,578

Quote:
If I had to compare it, I'd say it has half the airyness of the AD900, I'm glad I chose an open Ultrasone, half of my music sounds lifeless out of any closed phones now. So far I'm loving the Slogic, It really is like a 5.1 set at times. Some people will hate it for that, but I found it works wonders for folk, and atmospheric music. Sounds a little unnatural for some stuff though.

Oh I forgot that one is open. 

I know what you mean about lifeless/artificial sound in closed cans, very much my experience listening to my beloved D7Ks after the T1s, HD800s, etc. The Edition 8 is the only exception to the rule though, best closed can ever.  S-Logic must really be something if it can manage to create this kind of stage in a can as tiny and closed as the ED8. 

Only people I can imagine "hating" a can for being wide and immersive are people who have only heard closed cans/low end Grados.I don't know what you mean about the soundstage being unnatural though, you don't really get that until the AD700/900, K70x, and HD800. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back