Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 30, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #1,321 of 48,578
Haha yes, head-fi has bankrupted me to the point of watching the pennies! Also I got the D7K and E8 used for very good prices. It's always good to keep an eye on the FS forum.

I am leaning to the 598 purely because I remember the 595 being so good in games, prompting many a cry of "hax0r!".

May 30, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #1,322 of 48,578
When I think about hax0r type headphones...

AD700
K701 (probably the most jaw dropping in terms of detail whoring).
HD598
PC360
HE4
RE0

May 30, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #1,323 of 48,578
Great, increase my options why don't you!
tongue.gif

May 30, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #1,324 of 48,578
Great, increase my options why don't you!
tongue.gif

Lol, I'm just saying these are what gave me that feeling of cheating by soundwhoring alone. The K701 is quite the overkill though. You can get most of that sound whoring from the others. The RE0 was added as an IEM that can sound whore with the best of them, at the expense of soundstage. The HE4 is quite a soundwhoring headphone with great bass as well, but isn't ideal due to the power it needs to perform at it's best. I'd say that my E9 is probably giving me 80% of what the Lyr gave me. Still, fantastic. Obviously a pain to use since I'd need to attach an amp after the Mixamp. The Mixamp alone struggles something fierce trying to juice the HE4.

May 30, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #1,327 of 48,578
Has anyone else experienced a sort of 'muffling' when playing through the Mixamps? Its always happened to me with a lot of my headphones. I play for awhile, then the clarity goesa through the crapper, and game audio becomes super muffled for a length of time. I used to think it was the headphones, but I have experienced it even with crystal clear cans like the K701.

Zombie, I'm gonna be checking our vids. :D

I thought it was just in my head but yes I too get that, I think it Just doesn't sound as good as it should

May 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #1,328 of 48,578
Its weird. I'd be playing then everything starts sounding like it has a veil all over the sound. For awhile I thought it was maybe something wrong with my ears, but I only get that problem when I play through the Mixamp. Like my multi hundred dollar headphones sound like $5 budget iems. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

You know something's weird when even the DT990's treble sounded dull and severely rolled off. @_@

I'm trying to see if maybe it was the source and not the Mixamp. I don't remember having this issue with the PS3... only the 360, but I can't be certain because I almost never game on the PS3.

May 30, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #1,329 of 48,578
Its weird. I'd be playing then everything starts sounding like it has a veil all over the sound. For awhile I thought it was maybe something wrong with my ears, but I only get that problem when I play through the Mixamp. Like my multi hundred dollar headphones sound like $5 budget iems. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

You know something's weird when even the DT990's treble sounded dull and severely rolled off. @_@

I'm trying to see if maybe it was the source and not the Mixamp. I don't remember having this issue with the PS3... only the 360, but I can't be certain because I almost never game on the PS3.

Yeah those pin sharp highs on the 990 just seem faded away and don't have that slice to them, very strange,dead space 2 ambient sounds kinda toned down and aren't as pronounced as they should be, reloading the guns is very quiet too when normally everything is in balance and it all sounds great, I don't have ps3 to compare to the Xbox 360

May 30, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #1,330 of 48,578
If you already own the D7000, just get a mixamp and use them. They're unbeatable for SP and for MP they're only slightly "worse" than the AD700 post burn in. Soundwhoring is just the same between both with DH despite the difference in soundstage, the only thing is the D7K's bass will sometimes get in the way. But I've gotten used to it (fast) and it doesn't distract me unless I let it, and I do just as well with it as any of my other cans, and I certainly enjoy the sound itself 100x more. The AD700's are just for long competitive sessions w/ mic as the D7Ks get too static-y and the PX5's are usually only for relaxing.I

If you're a millionaire, you could always grab the T1's or HD800s for just gaming. Even better than AD700, and $1300+ is always worth a 5% increase in soundwhoring . Although nothing beats the Skullcandy GI and TB X1s.
tongue_smile.gif

MLE, it's your mixamp.

May 30, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,331 of 48,578
I don't think the D7000 comes close to the soundwhoring cans whatsoever for gaming. If you think they're good, then any headphone will work for you, lol. Ok I'm kidding. They're good.

In any case, I don't think the people here are considering $600+ cans for gaming. I'm trying to be more realistic.

May 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #1,332 of 48,578
AD2000 is pretty scary for gaming, even A2000X is quite a fair bit better than AD700, K701 in positioning. But for more competitive gaming, AD1000PRM will end up on my head. Not the most realistic, sound does not diffuse but instead remains a point source even from a distance. That gives a unfair advantage though.

May 30, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #1,333 of 48,578

Quote:
AD2000 is pretty scary for gaming, even A2000X is quite a fair bit better than AD700, K701 in positioning. But for more competitive gaming, AD1000PRM will end up on my head. Not the most realistic, sound does not diffuse but instead remains a point source even from a distance. That gives a unfair advantage though.

Have you used any non Audio-Technica headphones?

Quote:
I don't think the D7000 comes close to the soundwhoring cans whatsoever for gaming. If you think they're good, then any headphone will work for you, lol. Ok I'm kidding. They're good.

In any case, I don't think the people here are considering $600+ cans for gaming. I'm trying to be more realistic.

They're extremely good. The only reason not to use them over the usual soundwhoring cans is because of the bass. The positioning and every other characteristic is top notch. And the guy already HAS the D7000, so that's why I'm saying just use them, no reason not to, especially considering he's pinching pennies now. And for anyone that can't afford high end cans, the decision really isn't hard at all with all the info here. And I would know considering I've been in that situation already. It only really becomes difficult when you have the capacity to spend a lot.

May 30, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #1,335 of 48,578
Have you used any non Audio-Technica headphones?

They're extremely good. The only reason not to use them over the usual soundwhoring cans is because of the bass. The positioning and every other characteristic is top notch. And the guy already HAS the D7000, so that's why I'm saying just use them, no reason not to, especially considering he's pinching pennies now. And for anyone that can't afford high end cans, the decision really isn't hard at all with all the info here. And I would know considering I've been in that situation already. It only really becomes difficult when you have the capacity to spend a lot.

Erm yes? I had Denons, AKGs, Shures, Senns. Just that I sold them all. I have personally heard pretty much everything out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back