Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 31, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #1,337 of 48,578
No. However, there are times when I can't be arsed to disconnect the PC360 to plug in the D7000, and don't feel like I'm missing much. Sure the D7000 does the home theater feel perfectly, but it's not like the PC360 (with the 5.8's bass expander) isn't good at SP gaming, because it truly is.

May 31, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #1,338 of 48,578

Quote:
No. However, there are times when I can't be arsed to disconnect the PC360 to plug in the D7000, and don't feel like I'm missing much. Sure the D7000 does the home theater feel perfectly, but it's not like the PC360 (with the 5.8's bass expander) isn't good at SP gaming, because it truly is.

Hmm, I'm curious. Say you could pick whatever combo you wanted for music, SP, and MP gaming. What would it be?

Btw, the 5.8's bass boost causes low end distortion just like the crackling on wireless TB with deep bass.

May 31, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #1,339 of 48,578
I have no problem with the bass expander on the 5.8 with the Pc360. It does it's job just fine for my use. I only use it with the PC360.

Music: D7000
Movies: D7000
SP gaming: D7000
MP gaming: PC360 If mic wasn't important, K701/HD598

Of course, many can't afford the D7000 and it IS overkill for these needs. If I had NOTHING, I'd just get the PC360 for all my gaming and call it a day.

May 31, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #1,340 of 48,578
I gave the A900's a more thorough test with the DSS, and it does very poorly with sounds directly behind me.  Maybe I'll see if I can get a 7.1 signal out of my motherboard's onboard optical jack, or give them a shot at Vanquish.  

Patents can sometimes be a bitch.  Sony makes this virtual surround sound gaming headset, and I imagine that due to either patents or licenses that they don't want to pay, this headset's virtual surround technology takes a set of analog signals instead of the usual optical connection.  So that means the sound is converted to analog by your computer, converted back to digital by the amp, and then back to analog for the head set.  

May 31, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #1,341 of 48,578

Quote:
I gave the A900's a more thorough test with the DSS, and it does very poorly with sounds directly behind me.  Maybe I'll see if I can get a 7.1 signal out of my motherboard's onboard optical jack, or give them a shot at Vanquish.  

Err, is Vanquish a particularly good test for headphone's positioning capabilities?

May 31, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #1,342 of 48,578
I wanna play that game. Pretty badass demo, but the game I hear is incredibly short. <__<

As far as a headphone that does everything well... well, the HE4 is about as good as it gets in their price range, the only issue being the power they need. They do soundwhoring better than the D7000, bass is as refined as on the DT990 with just a slight less quantity, though definitely not lacking, and the overall sound is just ridiculous for the price. Just know that the Mixamp can't handle it alone. The E9 powers it decently, but I know it is capable of being even better, like when I owned the Lyr.

May 31, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #1,343 of 48,578

Quote:
Err, is Vanquish a particularly good test for headphone's positioning capabilities?

It turns out it isn't, which ironically makes it a perfect match for the A900.  Vanquish can take advantage of clarity, but not positional.  

Quote:
I wanna play that game. Pretty badass demo, but the game I hear is incredibly short. <__<

As far as a headphone that does everything well... well, the HE4 is about as good as it gets in their price range, the only issue being the power they need. They do soundwhoring better than the D7000, bass is as refined as on the DT990 with just a slight less quantity, though definitely not lacking, and the overall sound is just ridiculous for the price. Just know that the Mixamp can't handle it alone. The E9 powers it decently, but I know it is capable of being even better, like when I owned the Lyr.

You can get it for like $25, and I've played it the whole way through several times so far.  It has that in common with the arcade games in that way.  It reminds me more of like a 3D metal slug done right than of a cover based shooter.  One tip is to not rely on melee when an enemy gets close, it's better to do a roll away and be holding the aim button to enter enter AR mode, then shoot the enemies that got too close.  

May 31, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #1,345 of 48,578
I have tried the D7000 and Edition 8 for gaming. They do not work as well as I'd like.

The Edition 8 must have some weird stuff going on with S-Logic & DH because I'd say it is "okay" for competitive gaming.

The D7000 and Pro900 both work reasonably well, but the details are masked somewhat by explosions, gunfire and bass. They worked fine in casually competitive games like L4D2, but in CSS they aren't up to the task. Also my D7K is usually plugged into a desktop amp which doesn't allow me to use DH.

At the very least, I can give another opinion on how the AD700 and 598 compare for gaming.

May 31, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #1,346 of 48,578

Quote:
I have tried the D7000 and Edition 8 for gaming. They do not work as well as I'd like.

The Edition 8 must have some weird stuff going on with S-Logic & DH because I'd say it is "okay" for competitive gaming.

The D7000 and Pro900 both work reasonably well, but the details are masked somewhat by explosions, gunfire and bass. They worked fine in casually competitive games like L4D2, but in CSS they aren't up to the task. Also my D7K is usually plugged into a desktop amp which doesn't allow me to use DH.

At the very least, I can give another opinion on how the AD700 and 598 compare for gaming.

And therein lies your problem.

May 31, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #1,347 of 48,578

Lol that is exactly like me, getting the e9 out and running cable to mixamp etc for the dt 990 I just can't be bothered with sometimes and that was only reason I noticed the clipping on dead space 2 with the pc 360 recently as the dt 990 is normally just for single player however I will definitely just use the dt 990 for single player to avoid any clipping

May 31, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #1,349 of 48,578
The D7000 runs fine just off the Mixamp. The benefits of extra amping won't be truly noticeable when you're too busy gaming with them. It's not like trying to run a 600ohm off a soundcard.

I don't notice clipping on my PC360. but definitely got clipping with my DT990 (though that was when running it straight off the Mixamp), weird.

May 31, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #1,350 of 48,578
The E7 does nothing for the D7000, and the only thing the E9 would do in combination with the mixamp is reduce static, which would be great for me, but it's too much setup since and I don't need wires across the floor, that's why I got the 5.8. As for the "sphere of awareness", out of all the headphones I've tried, the HD800, T1, D7000, AD700, and to a lesser extent D2000,DT880,990 are the only ones that provide that, and believe me I know what you mean. And just plug it straight into the mixamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back