Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 22, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #48,451 of 48,583
@Fegefeuer I'm not sure about new... but the big thing about PS5 audio is that it basically works with any USB Audio Class 1 (UAC1) DAC, and Tempest 3D is a fairly competent virtual surround codec built into the PS5 itself, so you're not restricted to Optical or HDMI solutions. I'm currently unemployed, but if I had the income I'd like to try out a Qudelix 5k to see if that works in USB wired mode (and bluetooth when I'm out of the house).

Aug 31, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #48,452 of 48,583
Looking to upgrade my setup (out of boredom really). I currently use an hd 6xx and an sxfi amp dongle. I've liked sxfi a lot but sometimes it sounds kind of funny (echoey) and messes with the treble. I usually leave it on most of the time since I do like the outside my head presentation that it does., and how everything sounds bigger, especially bass (its especially awesome on my he-4xx but i hate the treble on that headphone)

It seems like I can do one of 3 options:

1. keep the sxfi amp, and upgrade the headphone to like an elex or a hifiman ananda/arya/edition xs thing
2. get a g6 and a better amp/dac since I can still use SBX.
3. use dts or atmos with windows spacial audio and get a better amp/dac.

Looking to keep it around $400-$600. I could get an elex with that, or do a jotunheim 2 + g6, or asgard 3 + dac + g6, etc.

Does the use of better gear make SBX/DTS better than SXFI? or is SXFI still king when it comes to surround?

Aug 31, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #48,455 of 48,583
Looking to upgrade my setup (out of boredom really). I currently use an hd 6xx and an sxfi amp dongle. I've liked sxfi a lot but sometimes it sounds kind of funny (echoey) and messes with the treble. I usually leave it on most of the time since I do like the outside my head presentation that it does., and how everything sounds bigger, especially bass (its especially awesome on my he-4xx but i hate the treble on that headphone)

It seems like I can do one of 3 options:

1. keep the sxfi amp, and upgrade the headphone to like an elex or a hifiman ananda/arya/edition xs thing
2. get a g6 and a better amp/dac since I can still use SBX.
3. use dts or atmos with windows spacial audio and get a better amp/dac.

Looking to keep it around $400-$600. I could get an elex with that, or do a jotunheim 2 + g6, or asgard 3 + dac + g6, etc.

Does the use of better gear make SBX/DTS better than SXFI? or is SXFI still king when it comes to surround?
After months of using sxfi usb dongle dac, i start thinking it's not anything special anymore, an old Asus Strix line PCIe card still does the job great (with burson op-amps - an icing on a cake), or other good desktop USB DAC (Fiio, Fosi, etc).
get a better amp/dac.

Aug 31, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #48,456 of 48,583
Are there any other ways to EQ a pair of headphones on the PS5 other than the G6 or GC7? For some reason all my headsets are getting bad echoing when plugging into my GC7. I can't hear it while playing but teammates can hear themselves
It’s POSSIBLE that there is some issue with the GC7, and I have seen software problems before… but most often it’s a physical short circuit issue, aaaand most often that is due to a tight headphone jack and the plug is slightly unplugged. Double check the cable is plugged all the way into the GC7 and the headphones first, and maybe you’ll be lucky with a free solution 👍

Personally, I’m hella poor, so I’m still using my old G5. But you can use any USB Audio Class 1 (sometimes abbreviated as UAC1) device with the PS4, and the PS5 will do its own headphone surround processing for you (courtesy of Sony’s Tempest 3D Engine). For example, you could get a Qudelix 5K to use in USB mode with the PlayStation, and unplug the USB to take the 5k with you to use as a Bluetooth dongle on the go.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #48,457 of 48,583
It’s POSSIBLE that there is some issue with the GC7, and I have seen software problems before… but most often it’s a physical short circuit issue, aaaand most often that is due to a tight headphone jack and the plug is slightly unplugged. Double check the cable is plugged all the way into the GC7 and the headphones first, and maybe you’ll be lucky with a free solution 👍

Personally, I’m hella poor, so I’m still using my old G5. But you can use any USB Audio Class 1 (sometimes abbreviated as UAC1) device with the PS4, and the PS5 will do its own headphone surround processing for you (courtesy of Sony’s Tempest 3D Engine). For example, you could get a Qudelix 5K to use in USB mode with the PlayStation, and unplug the USB to take the 5k with you to use as a Bluetooth dongle on the go.
Awesome this is good to know. I don't even need all the extra crap that comes with the GC7 I really just want the EQ.

Sep 1, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #48,458 of 48,583
GC7 is easy to EQ since you can use the BT app. Otherwise, I really like the Schiit Loki Mini if you're constantly switching headsets. Having some EQ on the fly is really nice.

I also had problems with the GC7 getting feedback into the mic. I haven't used it in about 6 months, I'll need to check for a firmware update. I really like SXFI but couldn't take being wired anymore. Purchased a Maxwell and that's about all I use now.

Sep 1, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #48,459 of 48,583
couldn't take being wired anymore.
Huh. Since this is not my perspective, I would be interested if you could explain the benefits and the pain points this solves for you.

Not to change your mind, but here’s my perspective, why I don’t care about Bluetooth and generally prefer wired:
  • Bluetooth = one more battery to keep charged, it lasts many days but the dead battery always catches me off guard.
  • Bluetooth = finite lifespan and eventually it will be unusable, ewaste, faster depreciating resale value.
  • Bluetooth = Bad for gaming, adds latency and audio is out of sync with the game.
  • Bluetooth = compressed audio quality, further compressed and an inferior sound profile used if you add a microphone return channel.
  • Wired = no signal interference, stable connection.
  • Wired = can use your choice of DAC, amp, can upgrade later
  • Wired = easier to connect than pairing Bluetooth, selecting which source to connect to (phone/PC/Game console/tablet/airplane/etc).
  • If my audio source is in my lap, my pocket, or nearby on my desk, cables haven’t gotten in my way. I be usually don’t notice them.
To be fair, I think wireless makes more sense than long extension wires if people are walking between you & your audio source, or if your source is stationary but you’re walking among multiple rooms. I also feel that the 2.4GHz wireless in the Audeze Penrose, Maxwell, Sony Link (in their just announced PlayStation products), EPOS GSP 670, and similar products have managed to practically resolve latency and bandwidth issues. Lastly, for smartphones that removed their headphone jacks, Bluetooth headphones or Bluetooth dongles make more sense than using USB Audio dongles attached to your phone in your pocket as you walk around… no need to put strain on a very important port for basic function of a smartphone.

Sep 2, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #48,460 of 48,583
Huh. Since this is not my perspective, I would be interested if you could explain the benefits and the pain points this solves for you.

Not to change your mind, but here’s my perspective, why I don’t care about Bluetooth and generally prefer wired:
  • Bluetooth = one more battery to keep charged, it lasts many days but the dead battery always catches me off guard.
  • Bluetooth = finite lifespan and eventually it will be unusable, ewaste, faster depreciating resale value.
  • Bluetooth = Bad for gaming, adds latency and audio is out of sync with the game.
  • Bluetooth = compressed audio quality, further compressed and an inferior sound profile used if you add a microphone return channel.
  • Wired = no signal interference, stable connection.
  • Wired = can use your choice of DAC, amp, can upgrade later
  • Wired = easier to connect than pairing Bluetooth, selecting which source to connect to (phone/PC/Game console/tablet/airplane/etc).
  • If my audio source is in my lap, my pocket, or nearby on my desk, cables haven’t gotten in my way. I be usually don’t notice them.
To be fair, I think wireless makes more sense than long extension wires if people are walking between you & your audio source, or if your source is stationary but you’re walking among multiple rooms. I also feel that the 2.4GHz wireless in the Audeze Penrose, Maxwell, Sony Link (in their just announced PlayStation products), EPOS GSP 670, and similar products have managed to practically resolve latency and bandwidth issues. Lastly, for smartphones that removed their headphone jacks, Bluetooth headphones or Bluetooth dongles make more sense than using USB Audio dongles attached to your phone in your pocket as you walk around… no need to put strain on a very important port for basic function of a smartphone.

Wireless is freedom. I still use a lot of my wired headphones, but now I mostly use them with a BT headphone amp or Mixamp 5.8. I don't really use wired amps anymore, except when listening to music at the PC. A lot of my enjoyment of using headphones is being able to be somewhat mobile.

It's not that I couldn't stand to be wired for gaming. My current gaming setup doesn't really allow for it now, and it would be an unsightly mess of cables strung behind me across the room to bring the GC7 within arm's reach of my seat. I've been using the Maxwell since February, and it's a nice headset. I'd say it sounds just as good as my HD660S, but with a more pronounced low end. I can't really ask for much more than that for gaming. Just my opinion based on what I've owned.

Latency with BT hasn't really been an issue for me so long as both ends of the BT signal are AptX-LL or similar. BT pairing can sometimes feel like a work-in-progress, but it's become a lot better for most of my devices. Funny you mention Sony Link. I'm considering the Pulse Explore IEMs for PS5 when they release. Still on the fence about it, and I'll wait for user reviews. I'm not a huge fan of IEMs but if the mic works well on PS5 and battery life is decent it could be a cool product.

Here's my other (mostly) wireless DIY gaming headset that I recently put together. I use it on PS5 paired with a Creative BT-W3 dongle. Both capable of AptX-LL. I don't use a microphone return channel, instead I use a Modmic Wireless. This setup also works well for me on PS5 with the downsides being the range (30' or so), and battery life for the Go Blu and mic are both around 10-12 hours. I have Modmic mounts on all of my headphones where possible. It's a great product, but it could use a hardware revision to reduce the overall size, extend battery life, and include USB-C.

Koss3.jpg
Koss4.jpg

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #48,461 of 48,583
GC7 is easy to EQ since you can use the BT app. Otherwise, I really like the Schiit Loki Mini if you're constantly switching headsets. Having some EQ on the fly is really nice.

I also had problems with the GC7 getting feedback into the mic. I haven't used it in about 6 months, I'll need to check for a firmware update. I really like SXFI but couldn't take being wired anymore. Purchased a Maxwell and that's about all I use now.
If I wanted to use the Schiit Loki Mini with a PS5 and a Schiit Hel can that be done? Do I have to use optical for the input, does the PS5 recognize it as a USB soundcard?

I've noticed with warzone 2, optical input/Dolby digital to the GC7 gives me worse directional sound than using it via USB and using tempest audio.

Sep 3, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #48,462 of 48,583
Wireless is freedom. I still use a lot of my wired headphones, but now I mostly use them with a BT headphone amp or Mixamp 5.8. I don't really use wired amps anymore, except when listening to music at the PC. A lot of my enjoyment of using headphones is being able to be somewhat mobile.

It's not that I couldn't stand to be wired for gaming. My current gaming setup doesn't really allow for it now, and it would be an unsightly mess of cables strung behind me across the room to bring the GC7 within arm's reach of my seat. I've been using the Maxwell since February, and it's a nice headset. I'd say it sounds just as good as my HD660S, but with a more pronounced low end. I can't really ask for much more than that for gaming. Just my opinion based on what I've owned.

Latency with BT hasn't really been an issue for me so long as both ends of the BT signal are AptX-LL or similar. BT pairing can sometimes feel like a work-in-progress, but it's become a lot better for most of my devices. Funny you mention Sony Link. I'm considering the Pulse Explore IEMs for PS5 when they release. Still on the fence about it, and I'll wait for user reviews. I'm not a huge fan of IEMs but if the mic works well on PS5 and battery life is decent it could be a cool product.

Here's my other (mostly) wireless DIY gaming headset that I recently put together. I use it on PS5 paired with a Creative BT-W3 dongle. Both capable of AptX-LL. I don't use a microphone return channel, instead I use a Modmic Wireless. This setup also works well for me on PS5 with the downsides being the range (30' or so), and battery life for the Go Blu and mic are both around 10-12 hours. I have Modmic mounts on all of my headphones where possible. It's a great product, but it could use a hardware revision to reduce the overall size, extend battery life, and include USB-C.

Koss3.jpgKoss4.jpg
I appreciate your reply.

Recently, I’ve been trying to stand up in front of my couch every hour or so… sitting on the couch, my back would hurt after awhile, and I realized it was because I was leaning forward and slouching 😂 I had my OC38X cable get tangled on a TV Dinner tray last night and noticed it when I stood up, so I’ll count that as one point for wireless 😆

Is that… was that a KSC75 before all your mods? Wow that is like the CoD Pick-5 system but with 10 attachments 🤣 You’re a man after Mad’s heart, I see!

And, yeah, I’ll be interested to see how that Pulse Explore turns out too. Sometimes Sony emphasizes bass too much for my taste, but I haven’t heard the PS5 gen headsets and it’s possible Sony’s acquisition of Audeze will influence the direction of their planar magnetic PlayStation headsets… one can hope!

If I wanted to use the Schiit Loki Mini with a PS5 and a Schiit Hel can that be done? Do I have to use optical for the input, does the PS5 recognize it as a USB soundcard?

I've noticed with warzone 2, optical input/Dolby digital to the GC7 gives me worse directional sound than using it via USB and using tempest audio.
Well, Creative’s binaural surround processing works best when fed a 7.1 surround signal. Since the PS5 doesn’t have its own optical output, it’s possible something in your signal chain (or PS5 settings?) is stripping out the Dolby Bitstream that the Creative device needs to work it’s best. I believe the GC7 has both Super X-Fi and SBX methods of binaural… maybe try the other and tweak a few settings to see which works best for your ears?

But at the end of the day, if you found a setup that works for you (USB-supplied Tempest 3D binaural), it’s hard to argue against it. I’m not sure if you can use (just) the Hel 2 and a Loki together… the Loki Mini needs an analog input, but it doesn’t (AFAIK) have a headphone amp built in, so even though the Hel 2 has a built in amp you still need an amp as the last piece of your audio supply chain before the headphones themselves. You could stack a Hel2, Loki Mini, and Magni together, buuut that seems a little overkill.

(You could also replace the Schiit gear with a Qudelix 5K, which could perform USB DSP/DAC/Amp duties all in one with its Bluetooth controlled DSP suite including EQ, also benefit from the ability to unplug the Qudelix to use as a Bluetooth dongle while you’re out of the house)

Sep 5, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #48,463 of 48,583
Anyone looking for active desktop speakers that will shame those multimedia Logitechs you are using right now, (hurr) consider these:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=43241

Monoprice MTM-100 100w active desktop speakers, and yes the freq response does extend to the 45-50Hz range, and all the reviews I've watched/read all claim that they image very well. $225 with BIG25 coupon code. My set has been shipped. :)

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #48,464 of 48,583
Been looking for the answer to this but cant find it.

If im using a G6 and I want to use an external amp on my PC, I would do PC > usb > g6 > analog out > headphone amp. That makes sense.

But If I want to use a DAC with the G6, do I still connect the G6 via USB to the PC? Or connect the DAC via USB and use a wall wart for the power? Trying to figure out if its:

PC > USB > G6 > Optical Out > DAC > AMP, (G6 as sound output on PC)

OR

PC > USB > DAC , and then Optical from DAC to G6, and connect amp to dac. And select the DAC as my sound output on the PC, and use a wall wart to power the G6.

Sep 6, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #48,465 of 48,583
Been looking for the answer to this but cant find it.

If im using a G6 and I want to use an external amp on my PC, I would do PC > usb > g6 > analog out > headphone amp. That makes sense.

But If I want to use a DAC with the G6, do I still connect the G6 via USB to the PC? Or connect the DAC via USB and use a wall wart for the power? Trying to figure out if its:

PC > USB > G6 > Optical Out > DAC > AMP, (G6 as sound output on PC)

OR

PC > USB > DAC , and then Optical from DAC to G6, and connect amp to dac. And select the DAC as my sound output on the PC, and use a wall wart to power the G6.
I would just connect an external headphone amplifier, to the SB G6's (analog) line-output (RCA).
If you think you could get better audio quality with a DAC, over the G6, than just replace the G6, with the DAC.
But if you also need the G6's headphone surround sound function, than going optical, G6 to DAC, would work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back