Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 26, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #48,421 of 48,583
You haven't played with the HRTF timing in Redscape to get it to match your physique. Once you do, it can be like CMSS-3D. Waves NX was also a CMSS-3D contender, IF you do the head measurements to get the timings spot-on.

If the game can output Dolby or DTS, using the matching plug-in will give you a very sweet experience, and if it puts out ATMOS or DTS:X then you can get above/below HRTF cues. Applies to movies too.
So I should give Redscape another go and play around with head width and ear size settings?
Also, do you have any comparison between SxFI and Redscape?

Jul 27, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #48,422 of 48,583
So I should give Redscape another go and play around with head width and ear size settings?
I currently don't have any SXFi gear. Main reason I avoided it is because the SXFi output is only routed to the headphone port on their hardware, and is not output over Line-Out / Digital-Out. I like to use my higher grade DAC / amp combo rather than the Creative supplied solutions.

Jul 30, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #48,423 of 48,583
I currently don't have any SXFi gear. Main reason I avoided it is because the SXFi output is only routed to the headphone port on their hardware, and is not output over Line-Out / Digital-Out. I like to use my higher grade DAC / amp combo rather than the Creative supplied solutions.
This is the most ridiculous decision of Creative not outputting SXFI through digital means, they have lost allot with this decision.

Jul 30, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #48,424 of 48,583
I've used both. I'd say SXFI can make a larger "room" with more discrete front cues (like, audio far out in front of you), and rears can also sound a little farther behind which you may or may not like. It adds to the illusion perhaps but some might not like how big the staging can get maybe. Redscape is really close though, rears still sound very distinctly behind you and as Chastity said their ability to be used with better amps makes them the better choice given how good their surround mix is. I also prefer Redscape for music as it autodetects stereo audio and doesn't try to force surround on it like SXFI does.

This is the most ridiculous decision of Creative not outputting SXFI through digital means, they have lost allot with this decision.

Yeah. So frustrating. They lost me to Redscape because of this and I have so many of their products and was a big SXFI fan. One of many baffling Creative marketing and design choices over the years.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #48,425 of 48,583
I've used both. I'd say SXFI can make a larger "room" with more discrete front cues (like, audio far out in front of you), and rears can also sound a little farther behind which you may or may not like. It adds to the illusion perhaps but some might not like how big the staging can get maybe. Redscape is really close though, rears still sound very distinctly behind you and as Chastity said their ability to be used with better amps makes them the better choice given how good their surround mix is. I also prefer Redscape for music as it autodetects stereo audio and doesn't try to force surround on it like SXFI does.

Yeah. So frustrating. They lost me to Redscape because of this and I have so many of their products and was a big SXFI fan. One of many baffling Creative marketing and design choices over the years.
This is the comparison I was looking for. I guess I'll stick with Redscape for now unless I get to hear a demo of SxFI. I really was hoping to send SXFI to DX7 Pro but that can't be done. Hope creative rectifies via an update. Then I'll go for it I think.

Aug 1, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #48,428 of 48,583
Damn it! Looks like I have to pull the trigger otherwise my mind won't rest it seems. For the last 2 years I have been thinking about solid SxFI product & seems like GC7 is the one.. Atleast for the near future.
https://us.creative.com/p/refurbished

Creative has the X3 and X4 available as refurbs, with nice discounts. If you want to get something just to test SXFi, something like this may be worthwhile.

Aug 6, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #48,433 of 48,583
I finally picked up a pair of used H800 after wanting them for years. When the pandemic was raging in 2020 since I couldn't fly to London like I planned I decided to get either the 800/800s or the Hifiman Arya. I got the Arya and it sounds great but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Some very vocal people say the HD800s "ruined" what is great about the HD800. My used pair of HD800 had the SDR mod, I removed it.

I must say I understand why people said the HD800 would be a waste of money since I already have an Arya. They are a similar sound signature.

Haven't had the chance to do some competitive CSGO or PUBG but from the games I have played I have to give the 800 and the edge in 3d positioning but the Arya bass is just soooo much stronger. No amount of EQ on the 800 will make up for those huge Arya planar drivers.

If I was playing a tournament for money I think I would bring the HD800 but for just raw enjoyment I would give the nod to the Arya..........too bad about the build quality as I said tho. I ordered some stuff to protect the headband since Hifiman does not sell replacements.
I had a similar moment, where I gave the nod to the Dan Clark Audio Ether for a bit more enjoyment, even if soundstage depth was a bit more shallow. Eventually, though, I decided that I would rather pay HD 800 prices, and I’ve been happy with my decision – especially since I have two amps I feel to have nice synergy with it, the Cavalli Liquid Carbon and Sennheiser HDV 820. I would love to have a higher end tube amp but my fun-funds are always in question, haha!

Aug 6, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #48,434 of 48,583
I had a similar moment, where I gave the nod to the Dan Clark Audio Ether for a bit more enjoyment, even if soundstage depth was a bit more shallow. Eventually, though, I decided that I would rather pay HD 800 prices, and I’ve been happy with my decision – especially since I have two amps I feel to have nice synergy with it, the Cavalli Liquid Carbon and Sennheiser HDV 820. I would love to have a higher end tube amp but my fun-funds are always in question, haha!
My big issue with the Sennheiser HD-800 series is the price. For the cost of them, that puts you in ZMF territory which is just simply a better grade of can.

Aug 7, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #48,435 of 48,583
Thank you so much! I was unaware they're selling refurbished products on my local Creative site. Maybe I'll get a refurbished GC7 even!
I'm live outside USA so shipping + customs would equal to 1.6-1.8x the price. That's why GC7 is the only option for me as of now.

I’m with Chastity on this… I’d more recommend the X3 or X4. The GC7 was specifically designed with extra features meant for broadcasters and commentators, like macro shortcuts and soundboard cues. It is not their flagship audio product, I suspect the X3 and X4 have better amplifiers if audio quality is what you’re after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back