Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 7, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #48,394 of 48,564
Diablo 4 sounds pretty amazing on the ATH-R70x. I especially am loving how they reproduce that classical guitar or whatever the heck it is that's part of so much iconic Diablo music. Oh yeah and monsters sound good dying too.
so D4 related question. If i have headphones that support atmos (airpod max currently), and i have atmos enabled in windows, do i have to set diablo 4 audio to 7.1? i cant fint a definitize answer to this anywhere

Jun 8, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #48,396 of 48,564
so D4 related question. If i have headphones that support atmos (airpod max currently), and i have atmos enabled in windows, do i have to set diablo 4 audio to 7.1? i cant fint a definitize answer to this anywhere
If you enable Atmos for Headphones, it opens up to 15 channels to the sound renderer, usually 7.4.1. Just set the game to Auto.

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #48,397 of 48,564
Anything that utilizes more than 2 channels will be fine, as long as you do not choose something that says Headphone/stereo, under the in game settings. Not sure what Diablo has for sound options, but as Chastity said, you should be fine with things like Auto.

Jun 11, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #48,398 of 48,564
Anything that utilizes more than 2 channels will be fine, as long as you do not choose something that says Headphone/stereo, under the in game settings. Not sure what Diablo has for sound options, but as Chastity said, you should be fine with things like Auto.
Diablo 4 only has options default, or up to 7.1. To me 7.1 seems to sound better? but its really hard to compare.

Another question though...i decided to go ALL IN and order some hd800s, It seems like per previous conversations my main concern should be an AMP right? not some other 3d audio device? Atmos is pretty much the only option i have otherwise, the other one people mentioned i cant purchase anymore

Jun 22, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #48,400 of 48,564
Hello, so for various reasons (but mostly because I found a crazy good Amazon Warehouse deal), I picked up a pair of DT 900 Pro X headphones.

I've spent a lot of time trying to see what people said about these headphones, especially compared to the venerable DT 880 but most testimonials basically claimed that the DT 900 Pro X was like a newer version of those and not much else. So I got my DT880 back and applied oratory1990's Harman targetting presets to both and did a comparison (with and without the EQ).

To my ears, there's quite a big difference between these headphones for gaming purposes. The DT 900 Pro X is the clear winner because the soundstage and detail is noticeably better, and imaging seems to be about the same on both. For most purposes and games they seem about equal except that the DT 900 Pro X offers a noticeably wider but not exactly less intimate soundstage. One thing I noticed is that the DT 900 Pro X handles verticality a lot better, and it doesn't have that weird 5-7 rear problem either.

I have a clip of some particularly frantic action in Insurgency Sandstorm (an FPS game with a lot of very intense sounds, it's the only game where air strikes and artillery strike fear into people from sound alone) where an enemy sneaks up on me. With the DT880, I did not realize that someone had sneaked up to my 7 o'clock position, I only basically heard a sound in the left channel that could have been anything. There were gunshots and explosions going off around me so I had no idea. With the DT 900 Pro X, I could hear that it was footsteps in EXACTLY that position through all the gunfire and explosions.

Using this clip of DSOAL in Fallout New Vegas, the imaging and sound quality is about equal in both headphones but the DT 900 Pro X projects more "space". I find it represents the scale of the world better than the more close-sounding nature of the DT880. But when the camera tilts so the windmill is above and then below... the DT880 just wasn't reproducing that nearly as well as the DT 900 Pro X. It was shocking how big of a difference there was in this specific case.

In terms of audio quality for music and movies, they basically seem about equal to my ears except that the DT 900 Pro X does have a larger soundstage and delivers a clearer bass.

Comfort wise, the DT 900 Pro X feels a bit bigger and my ears fit more comfortably within the cups. The thicker pads and distance between my ears and the driver means less contact, and more comfort.

Jun 23, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #48,401 of 48,564
Begrudgingly, I tried a linear power supply for my sound blaster x7 and am extremely surprised at the difference it makes. Much bigger soundstage, more articulate bass and more detailed treble without the peaks.

X7 + Sparkos Op amps + LPS + Diablo 4 = G.O.A.T.

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #48,405 of 48,564
I want a tube amp. I can't decide. And I like... want an all in one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back